Things done different

Lann

Every local council in the uk does it differently even in adjacent cities. 

In Leeds the main waste bin is grey and recycling is green. In Bradford which is a connecting city the main bins are green and recycling bins are grey. This must be very confusing for the streets on the border between the cities. 

Liverpool actually has purple bins just to be different. 

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fido_le_muet

• Lann

• Squirrel

• Potato

1 hour ago, Squirrel said:

Every local council in the uk does it differently even in adjacent cities. 

In Leeds the main waste bin is grey and recycling is green. In Bradford which is a connecting city the main bins are green and recycling bins are grey. This must be very confusing for the streets on the border between the cities. 

Liverpool actually has purple bins just to be different. 

That's really stupid. Here in France It's mostly the same everywhere. Yellow for recycling, grey/brown for trash and green for organic obviously. 

• Like 1

I wish they recycled better here in the states.

Instead they dig huge holes and fill them with everything they can stuff inside. Once full they continue and build a giant mountain. Once done they move to another location and start over.

Most folks just opt to toss their trash onto the side of the road. One awesome thing about Germany, I never saw trash lying in the streets. Such clean and beautiful countryside.

Nothing like working on a garbage truck. Especially a full one....in Florida.....in the summer....after it has sat for a week. The maggots are so thick and the smell so rank. Now climb under it and check the rear differential. 

Edited by SINISTER120

In Spain you won't find much recycling containers, except for the big cities (Madrid, Barcelona...). In most of the places of Spain everything is thrown into a common container. At night some trucks empty the containers and finally go to a landfill site where they deposit all the rubbish. In my town the streets are usually dirty, only some places close to the town hall are clean. The streets get speacially dirty after the running of the bulls (yeah, unfortunately they are still legal), and the worse thing of this is that every week there's at least one in a neighborhood (that's why other towns call this place as "la ciutat del bou", referring to the ammount of events related to bulls that happen here).

Here in Greece people don't care much about recycling, similar to other countries there are these large blue recyling bins, where you're supposed to throw all your plastics/aluminiums/glassware/paper in one place, and grey bins for all other trash, but thing is nobody really cares, people throw all their trash recyclable or not, on whatever bin they can find closest.

I can't really blame them though, in some neighborhoods there are way more blue bins than gray bins, so since sometimes there aren't any grey bins around, they just throw them in the blue ones cause they don't really have much of a choice.
I feel bad for the people working in the recycling factories, they're supposed to pick out the plastics from the papers but instead they rummage out the plastics from the rotten food and trash

Athens isn't really clean compared to other countries, weirdly enough the centre is dirtier than other places around the city.

Edited by bakri16

• 2 weeks later...

Its been fairly common over the last year that stores no longer accept cash. Yiu are to pay with a card or phone, is this something spreading elsewhere as well?

11 minutes ago, Lann said:

Its been fairly common over the last year that stores no longer accept cash. Yiu are to pay with a card or phone, is this something spreading elsewhere as well?

It is getting there slowly over here. Self service tills and contactless card payments are definitely speeding up the switch. The UK treasury is also contemplating finally getting rid of 1p & 2p coins.

14 minutes ago, Lann said:

Here in France, cash is here to stay. Pay by phone is just developping but debit cards are everywhere. 90% of store are  still accepting cash and that's not stopping anytime soon. 

Personnaly, I never have cash on me. Always pay by card. 

• 11 months later...

Here’s one from last year that I forgot about and I find extremely weird...

In France, apple sauce is considered a drink. And it’s not like it’s uncommon. You walk into a supermarket and there’s a large section just dedicated to jars of apple sauce. And it comes in cartons too!

@Fido_le_muet Please confirm?

48 minutes ago, Potato said:

Here’s one from last year that I forgot about and I find extremely weird...

In France, apple sauce is considered a drink. And it’s not like it’s uncommon. You walk into a supermarket and there’s a large section just dedicated to jars of apple sauce. And it comes in cartons too!

@Fido_le_muet Please confirm?

You mean Apple juice? Yes it's very common and very delicious!  It's not a thing in the UK ? 

7 minutes ago, Fido_le_muet said:

You mean Apple juice? Yes it's very common and very delicious!  It's not a thing in the UK ? 

Nope, apple sauce. Apple juice and apple sauce are both things here, but we don’t drink/eat apple sauce on its own.

Maybe it’s only a thing in Bretagne? ?

8 minutes ago, Fido_le_muet said:

He said sauce, not juice. I guess you could drink sauce. I love apple juice and cider.

On the same line, last wife was from Pennsylvania. I smoked a pork loin and she asked where was the apple sauce. It seems that any time they have a piece of pork, they have to have apple sauce. It seems that the also use apple wood when smoking pork.

• Like 1

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

2 minutes ago, zztop911 said:

On the same line, last wife was from Pennsylvania. I smoked a pork loin and she asked where was the apple sauce. It seems that any time they have a piece of pork, they have to have apple sauce. It seems that the also use apple wood when smoking pork.

Same in the UK. Apple sauce goes with pork, and that's about the only time we have it

@Potato @zztop911 Had to Google it and now I see what you're talking about. Had no idea it was called sauce. 

Anyway, my previous comment still stands, it is delicious and very common ! 

In fact, we made homemade apple sauce just yesterday ! There's leftover that I'm gonna finish as dessert in just a few minutes!

Will take pic :D 

We eat fries/chips with a combination of mayonaise, peanut sauce and freshly chopped onion.....

#hautecuisine #youlike?

It's called "patatje oorlog" ( chips war)

And you guys/girls?

Edited by Schumi6581

• 3 months later...

In the southern part of Sweden, in the countryside, its not uncommon to see stands like this with vegetables and strawberries. The thing i admire is that there is noone there, just a jar to put money in (and a number to send money with your phone). I like it because its great to see trust and honesty being the basic assumption on strangers.

iTrt92P.jpg

...those sneaky farmers ruining my picture of a trustworthy humankind 

2zve0cE.jpg

Edited by Lann
Damn farmers
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Lann said:

In the southern part of Sweden, in the countryside, its not uncommon to see stands like this with vegetables and strawberries. The thing i admire is that there is noone there, just a jar to put money in (and a number to send money with your phone). I like it because its great to see trust and honesty being the basic assumption on strangers.

iTrt92P.jpg

Hide contents

...those sneaky farmers ruining my picture of a trustworthy humankind 

2zve0cE.jpg

In my home town here in Durham California I was surprised to see the same thing last year. It was a vegetable stand. I do live in a small town with no homeless and almost zero crime. You wouldn’t see this in very many California towns. 

• Like 2

tenor.gif?itemid=5199497

@Lann I see that thing quite a bit in the country roads around Devon.  People will keep their own chickens and leave the eggs boxed up in a wooden stand next to the road.  There's a small money jar and you leave a quid and take some eggs.  I've also seen punnets of all different kinds of berries, and bags of firewood in the winter.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Con said:

We are trying, European Fam, we Americans are doing our best..

Related image

Image result for little free libraries in fences

Image result for free street pantry

Image result for free street pantry

Ah, yes, we have a few of those public library boxes somewhere in the rural areas over here as well. Totally forgot about that.

...however, the main thing done differently here... who could forget the biker-grannies! :P #EstonianWay

estonia-kihnu-old-ladies-motorbike-r1.jp

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Protocawl said:

Ah, yes, we have a few of those public library boxes somewhere in the rural areas over here as well. Totally forgot about that.

...however, the main thing done differently here... who could forget the biker-grannies! :P #EstonianWay

estonia-kihnu-old-ladies-motorbike-r1.jp

thats fucking epic.

• Haha 1