What phone do you have ?

Fido_le_muet

Hello all.

I was wondering what phone do you have ?

My current phone is an Alcatel One Touch.

https://boutique.orange.fr/media-cms/mediatheque/636x900-orange-nura-vue-1-23029.jpg

Problem, my phone is slowly dying after 2 1/2 years of service. Now it shuts down on its own and I have to wait between 30 mins and 1 hour before I can turn it back on.

To make things even worse, I can't play Pokemon Go anymore, not enough RAM :D

I have a 200€ budget (£167, $225) for the new one but I can't decide which one to buy.

One of my coworkers recommended a Huawei. anybody have any experience with these ? I'm scared because it's chinese :D:D

I had a Samsung Galaxy 2 before and it was great.

What would you guys recommend ?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Squirrel

• DavidCore89

• Fido_le_muet

• JustHatched

6 minutes ago, DavidCore89 said:

In that price range the Huawei P8 Lite and Samsung J5 are the best, Huawei has better RAM.

Haven't owned either of them :)

That's exactly the two models I have in mind :)

The Huawei is 50€ cheaper.

I'm with Burger, been on iPhone since the 3, never looked back. 6 is a very capable phone, with the 7 about to be released you should be able to get a 6 for a reasonable price.

• Like 1

Just now, Fido_le_muet said:

That's exactly the two models I have in mind :)

The Huawei is 50€ cheaper.

Good deal!

Sony Xperia M4 is another option, similar price, 4 more processors, but far smaller memory card capability.

You'll get 4 Huawei's for 1 iPhone 6S :lol:

Huawei has twice the RAM of the standard 6 and equal to the 6S, bigger screen and you can put an SD card inside.

£167 will not get an iPhone 6, not even when it's been replaced.

Edited by DavidCore89
  • Like 1

I have a Sony Xperia E1 and I have never I my life wanted to a shoot a phone in the face so much. It has 4gb of internal memory with about 80% of it taken up by apps I don't want and can't delete. It constantly says I have run out of memory even though I have a 8gb memory card in use. I also have avout 4 apps on it and don't really want to download more because of the annoying memory.  It is a nice colour purple though 

"It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold B to the Rian, all that matters is you beat the leprechauns"   - Stewie Griffin

9 minutes ago, DavidCore89 said:

You'll get 4 Huawei's for 1 iPhone 6S :lol:

Huawei has twice the RAM of the standard 6 and equal to the 6S, bigger screen and you can put an SD card inside.

£167 will not get an iPhone 6, not even when it's been replaced.

This.

iPhones are amazing but they're insanely expensive. At least 3 times more expensive than a similar phone.

9 minutes ago, Fido_le_muet said:

This.

iPhones are amazing but they're insanely expensive. At least 3 times more expensive than a similar phone.

My phone is two years old now, I'd be happy getting £170 for it :D

Galaxy S6.

Everything I have owned with an Apple logo on it......has been overpriced trash that didn't work properly or broke in short order.  The kids love their iPhones though.

Edited by SINISTER120

I currently have a Lumia 950 but wouldn't recommend it (no Pokémon Go) unless you really like Windows Mobile.

A good suggestion, that may be above your range a bit, is the OnePlus 2 (oneplus.net/2). A coworker of mine has one and it's a great phone. The OnePlus 3 just came out so this one may drop in price more or may have deals on it out there. It's 299 US/£249 on their website. It's a nice phone with last year's high end specs (64GB storage, 4GB RAM).

Just checked their site, and there is a OnePlus 1 (or X) that would be below your price if you can find them. It's a bit older but still good specs for the price. It only has 16GB storage but it is expandable via MicroSD.

Edited by furdog
money conversion are hard
  • Like 1

kQ4fIRp.png

I've got a Sony Xperia Z2. It's a bit heavy, but I love the fact that I only have to charge it once a week or so with the light use I give it. Remote play burns through battery life though.

• Like 1

I have the iPhone 6s now which is a very capable phone. I have always had HTC's and cannot fault them in any way. 

This will be my last iPhone though as I find them way too restricted for things like music and the reliance of iTunes to do anything at all with it. 

The samsungs are nice phones but I've always found them a bit heavy on the ram due to the masses of bloat ware they cram on them. 

It really depends on what you want to do with your phone, they are pretty much the same once you get down to brass tacs. 

Higher end doesn't always mean higher performance so it's always worth looking at some benchmark stats before deciding. 

That being said, whatever you decide to get will be outdated the minute you switch it on for the first time. 

• Like 1

yFn5uY6.png

17 hours ago, Burgermauger said:

iPhone 6, will be upgrading to the 7 around Christmas time.

Just been reading up on the 7, apparently it's only slightly better than the 6S, my 6 is due for an upgrade next month so I was planning on getting a new one but it seems Apple are moving towards a 3 year cycle now for major changes. Next years phone will be the one where there will be significant changes. My phone is working perfectly even after two years, only issue is memory capacity as I've pretty much filled it. I think I'll probably wait another year.

Galaxy Note 4, works great. I don't use it to even close to it capability, just phone, text and pics plus hotspot. I don't have any games downloaded, just gps and rc plane apps.

• Like 1

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

I have a Samsung S5. It's actually the first smartphone I own, and I only bought it because my old phone was broke. Now I can't believe how I survived so long without a smartphone, always thought it was a superfluous thing.

Thought a while before buying and seeing as it was half the price of an S7, and seemed capable enough for me, I chose it. I'm careful with using the phone and try to optimize it (deleted everything I don't use, check the system settings frequently, etc) and am loving it. Don't think it crashed once, never noticed a slowdown, so I guess I'll use it for a couple of years at least, at which point I'll buy an S7 at half the price of an S9. I Think the gains of having the latest model are too marginal with these machines to justify the price differences. 

Would probably never buy an iphone, not only I really dislike Apple overall, I always had some sympathy from Samsung, since its early days in Europe, so I'm glad they're their greatest contenders. Love their TVs.

Edited by Arruda
  • Like 1

I'd never buy a Samsung, even if I wasn't an iPhone fanboy. 

The recent recall of one of their brand new handsets because of exploding batteries isn't the first time they've had issues like this. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Arruda said:

I don't mind exploding batteries. Actually find them a quite subtle homage to Jay Norris' death in GTA V.

At least you're a doctor so can patch yourself up if your phone blows your head off. 

• Like 1

Haven't heard about exploding batteries, but the Mrs did have an S6 Edge a few months ago and the screen spontaneously cracked while charging (not even near 100%).

Lots of people had the same issue, the phone gets really hot and the screen just cracks.

Samsung refused to replace it under warranty, just like they did to all the others.

The crack was very small and hard to notice, so we sold it as cracked.

Edited by DavidCore89

On 9/6/2016 at 5:14 PM, Sinister said:

Galaxy S6.

Everything I have owned with an Apple logo on it......has been overpriced trash that didn't work properly or broke in short order.  The kids love their iPhones though.

This.

I have an s7 active now. Only problem so far is butt dialing the police a couple times. There are apps to change your lock screen, but I haven't tried any yet.