Land Racing Techniques

Dodge

18 hours ago, Chewy said:

I'll often lay off the accelerator and brakes to even out the weight distribution across some bumps or turns with weird camber, is this incorrect?

Happy for any advice to get faster.

This would be one of the noticeable differences in using offroad rims/tires vs normal. I only use the normal ones and depending on the bump, I almost always lift of the accelerator but not necessarily the brake (if I'm using it). If I start to slide (due to a bump or going too fast into a corner), I'll back off the accelerator, usually completely until the traction grips and I'm stable again and then put the gas back on. If you don't react quick enough, the car will slide past the point of return and you'll lose a lot of time/spin out.

• Like 4

scottyb1988.jpg

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DavidCore89

• Dodge

• zmurko

• XuTek6651

I think it would be useful to have list of which car modifications enhance performance and which are purely cosmetic.

I now this may be surprising but it's was only reading about them here (or another thread in this forum) that made me realise custom tires were not simply cosmetic. I think when I first started playing I had somehow concluded they made no difference. Another thing I didn't know about until it got mentioned on a crew challenge was the spare tire on the Stirling, again I thought that was just a cosmetic item, I didn't realise it did actually act like a spoiler. I'm sure there are a number of modifications that give an obvious performance change to the good races but those of us less skilled find it hard to tell if they are making a difference. The in-game stats as you make changes only show so much and I know, for example,  you can max out the acceleration bar but still increase that by adding further mods.

So maybe there is a list somewhere of what each potential mod does or we could make one?

There really isn't much you should know. Always put Engine, Transmission, Brakes and Turbo on max and put anything under the Spoiler option on your car as well.  Pretty much aynthing else is either cosmetic or an advanced mod that only affects your driving style once you've mastered  the car and are driving it close to it's limits. Proper lines, braking, throttle control, etc... is still the most important aspect once you have all these performance mods on until you are setting close to WR lap times.

Bulletproof tires: a must in GTA races, but it doesnt hurt to have them on in regular races too.

Armour: just put 100% on, especially if you crash a lot, but it will not affect lap times with an undamaged car. It will however slow your car down if it's damaged and there's no armour on.

Really advanced stuff: different spoilers will slightly change the oversteer/understeer characteristics of a car, but this will only be noticed by those pushing the car to its absolute limits and setting close to WR lap times.

Then there's different tires, which mostly affect how a car handles curbs/bumps (but only some cars), but might also further influence certain car's understeer/oversteer characteristics (I believe it's really noticable if you put off-roads on a Massacro for example).

As far as custom tires go, it's an almost 2 year old myth, that I don't think has ever been confirmed, but back then it was believed it adds a tiny tiny amount of traction, though it could have just been a placebo effect. So just put them on for looks if you want to.

Edited by zmurko
  • Like 4

• 5 months later...

How to double clutch/handbrake boost and what it is : 

A double clutch in GTAO is when you hit the coming next gear and exploit the handbrake to get an RPM boost by quickly switching between gears.

To do this, when you're close/already in 2nd/3rd gear release the gas, hit the handbrake and quickly begin to gas again, you will boost a lot and get to the highest RPM counter you can have.

Suggesting to do this on a banshee or any RWD.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 18.1.2017 at 8:17 PM, Sinnex said:

Reveal hidden contents

A double clutch in GTAO is when you hit the coming next gear and exploit the handbrake to get an RPM boost by quickly switching between gears.

To do this, when you're close/already in 2nd/3rd gear release the gas, hit the handbrake and quickly begin to gas again, you will boost a lot and get to the highest RPM counter you can have.

for drifting or in races?

On 18 Jan 2017 at 8:17 PM, Sinnex said:

Reveal hidden contents

Does this hold any truth in it? I NEVER use the handbrake racing... But if it's true and it grants a boost I'm up for learning it... (I don't believe it is though :D)

Edit- typo, fuckin auto correct :D

Edited by grjkie
  • Like 1

www.ishare4free.com

Please don't be offended, it's a small piece of my mind that I chose to expose...

• 1 month later...
On 26.3.2017 at 9:28 PM, grjkie said:

Does this hold any truth in it? I NEVER use the handbrake racing... But if it's true and it grants a boost I'm up for learning it... (I don't believe it is though :D)

too bad noone sees this..

lately at the pfister supercup on Catalunya the first claimed it was thanks to short shifting. 

rly wanna know.. i cant find any helpfull advice.

11 minutes ago, XuTek6651 said:

too bad noone sees this..

lately at the pfister supercup on Catalunya the first claimed it was thanks to short shifting. 

rly wanna know.. i cant find any helpfull advice.

That wasn't short shifting alone, because the car won't short shift without bumps and stunt surfaces only have bumps on the kerbs.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, XuTek6651 said:

so releasing throttle before a bump/kerb for a bit is enough?

Yeah, but they don't fully release it. You'll see in the video.

Hard to get it right, takes time.

I only do it on land races as I'd need to ride kerbs on stunt tracks in order to do it.

Cheers for the video DC :)

I have to try it, when I saw a broughy video about it I didn't have it too much attention lol, guess I should have :D

www.ishare4free.com

Please don't be offended, it's a small piece of my mind that I chose to expose...

From what I have seen in videos, comments, etc... it's not so straightforward (just slightly releasing R2 before every bump) and definitely not so consistent. It all depends on the revs of your car. If you're at very low revs and you do this (release R2 a little), you're just gonna shift down and get back into same gear once you hit the bump as if you held your R2 down the entire way, possibly even losing speed and time.

I think it needs a lot of practice so it almost becomes 2nd nature and even then, it definitely requires additional attention and concentration, knowing when the bump is coming, listening to revs etc... I think you're better off just focusing more on the lines, breaking and throttle control, not to mention that if you focus on this too much in a contact race, you will most likely not pay as much attention to other cars around you, increasing your chances of hitting someone.

If someone is able to do it, kudos to them, I know I'm not skilled enough to be able to do this, as I need to pay attention to so many other things when racing that anything extra will just produce more mistakes. I'd rather master what I already can do and improve my execution and consistency.

Here's another video, where controller control is shown while giving examples of short shifting during a race:

• Like 1

On 26. 3. 2017 at 9:28 PM, grjkie said:

I actually just re-read @grjkie's question.

That is a completely different thing than short ("manually") shifting explained above.

I believe it's called mid-drive speed boost (some in GTA community call it double clutching). It can only be done with RWD cars, and not all of them get the same amount of boost, mostly muscle cars, though Banshee is another car that really benefits from this.

I actually almost never use it, simply because I forget to and it's only really useful coming out of hairpins, as most other corners you're already in too high of a gear to do it. You can also get it wrong and it slows you down, so unless you're proficient in using it, it's another risk/reward situation.

It's explained in this video:

• Like 1

comet used to be my favorite drift cars so im pretty used double clutching.. just tried it getting out of hard turns and boosted my monaco time from 1:26 to 1:24:5..

Some more tips and tricks, that will come very handy during current 2x$ event. Some basic tips/techniques for stunt racing and at the end showing where they can be used on R* tracks along with some serious shortcuts on them. I knew some of them, used some and some not, but there's a few new ones for me.

On 17.5.2017 at 1:57 PM, zmurko said:

Some more tips and tricks, that will come very handy during current 2x$ event. Some basic tips/techniques for stunt racing and at the end showing where they can be used on R* tracks along with some serious shortcuts on them. I knew some of them, used some and some not, but there's a few new ones for me.

Hide contents

i sent this to Con not too long ago xD

still hard to do these special jumps at some point..

but jumps out and into tubes has rly been improved thnx to this ^^

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

with RWD cars the short shifting works between 2/3gear; release R2 for a moment, tapR1, then push R2 again. this is problaly commonly known.

less known is with AWD/FWD cars; between 2/3gear; release R2 for a moment , tapR1 and L2, then push R2 again, its prob. a bit of practise but not too difficult to do..

its used a lot with drag-races, and only usefull in racing after really slow corners. (hairpins etc.)  (when going down to 2nd gear and revving up it can be usefull)

it works better with certain cars than others though.

#funfact: the coil voltic doesn't gain anything from curb-boosting ;)  can be good giggles when exposing tryhards.

pretty sure other E-cars have the same, not 100%sure though.

• Like 1

Are all these weird tricks an actual part of code or just quirks that players have learned to manipulate over time?

I love that other games don't have that curb boosting stuff.

Don't over think things. You'll lose more time trying them than anything else.

Unless you're one of the absolute elite racers in GTAO.

My tip: It's R2 to go and L2 to stop, simple really :D

I often wonder why people take racing in GTAO so seriously, there are lots more serious racing games out there where you can and should over think stuff.

• Like 6

I wasn't even curb boosting until recently. More often than not it would just make me crash. I realized if I didn't learn it I was at a disadvantage.  Now I'm competent at it on stunt tracks but I don't search out curbs on street courses. 

• Like 1

i really dislike all the curbboosting and sidewalk driving, it has nothing to do with racing imo. 

although i have had my fair share in it when i just started playing gtao 'because everyone did it' lol, same when the new props came out..

when i do playlist and ppl join who are so tryhard to go weaving or driving over the sidewalks i just dont invite them anymore the next time, slowly but steady only ppl who drive the same (on the road) are left over, and it makes racing much more fun (for me) :)

i guess in gtao , because it doesnt have a driving-sim, ppl need a certain maturity to be able to 'play as if its a driving-sim' to implement that upon their own. especially with contact-racing. although sometimes its really difficult to not trow a proxy on gta-mode, lol just kidding i dont do proxy's ;)

• Like 1