Land Racing Techniques

Dodge

This will be a Thread showing different Racing Techniques as they apply to GTA, and other games. I encourage other Racers to post Technique Videos when you can. That will help everyone watching. Just post them in this Thread and tell everyone what you are doing, and give a good lap time to try and emulate. Or even just show a quick video from an actual Event. Anything that can show a racing technique.

Ill start with the Boost Launch. This has been recorded on my Standing Mile track.

http://rsg.ms/ac03341

Edited by Dodge
  • Like 11

Dodgeservice.png

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DavidCore89

• Dodge

• zmurko

• XuTek6651

Tight Hairpins driven with my Dominator on my track SoS Tight Hairpins. This track was designed with nothing but low speed hairpins, and is rather difficult to master. Tight, low speed hairpins are one my weaknesses in racing. So I'm sure someone else can show you a better way to do them. But here is my Video on them.

Best Lap in Video is 1:23.384

http://rsg.ms/74ca672

Edited by Dodge
  • Like 5

Dodgeservice.png

I have a ton of videos with good lap times posted with the tracks they're made on. They were all in one thread but it overloaded the site so now they're with each individual post only. If you beat those times you're on the right path. The better drivers will beat them easily enough. I still have a heap of vids (that I've already made) to upload with the new cars and plenty of vids still to make. 

• Like 1

Not my series, but this has been the single most useful channel for me.

It's a playlist on racecraft.

His channel is dedicated to pCARS, but his racecraft series applies to any racing.

I have great respect for Dyr as a driver and a teacher, I've raced him many times and he's top class.

His English is a little broken since he's Spanish and doesn't speak English as a first language, but it's quickly improving and it becomes easier to understand.

Like I said - I cannot recommend this guy enough.

Edited by DavidCore89
  • Like 6

23 hours ago, Dodge said:

This will be a Thread showing different Racing Techniques as they apply to GTA, and other games. I encourage other Racers to post Technique Videos when you can. That will help everyone watching. Just post them in this Thread and tell everyone what you are doing, and give a good lap time to try and emulate. Or even just show a quick video from an actual Event. Anything that can show a racing technique.

Ill start with the Boost Launch. This has been recorded on my Standing Mile track.

http://rsg.ms/ac03341

Holy cow man - I have been racing on this game since launch, and I NEVER new you could hold the hammer down, then release and re-stomp the pedal for a boost on go. THANKS @Dodge!!!! I've always just hit on go.

Edited by lIIlCompleXlIIl
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, lIIlCompleXlIIl said:

Holy cow man - I have been racing on this game since launch, and I NEVER new you could hold the hammer down, then release and re-stomp the pedal for a boost on go. THANKS @Dodge!!!! I've always just hit on go.

I knew it was possible but never bothered to use it. Like you, I just hit R2 when 'GO' pops up. I'm not sure if the 'hold' technique is faster or not.

I believe it's just about timing. Hit it at the perfect time and you will be faster than other drivers using the boost as well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fido_le_muet said:

I knew it was possible but never bothered to use it. Like you, I just hit R2 when 'GO' pops up. I'm not sure if the 'hold' technique is faster or not.

I believe it's just about timing. Hit it at the perfect time and you will be faster than other drivers using the boost as well.

The super boost is faster than the regular one. But yeah, it also comes down to timing. 

Since almost no one else uses it I don't bother either.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Banketelli said:

The super boost is faster than the regular one. But yeah, it also comes down to timing. 

Since almost no one else uses it I don't bother either.

I'm going to be practicing this. Can it screw you though? Like if the person in front isn't getting or using the super-boost, could it eventually screw you? @Dodge?

3 minutes ago, lIIlCompleXlIIl said:

I'm going to be practicing this. Can it screw you though? Like if the person in front isn't getting or using the super-boost, could it eventually screw you? @Dodge?

It can screw you if the guy misses his boost and you end up bumping into him.

I usually aim left or right of the guy in front of me in case he doesn't use the boost.

Just now, Fido_le_muet said:

It can screw you if the guy misses his boost and you end up bumping into him.

I usually aim left or right of the guy in front of me in case he doesn't use the boost.

Yeah - the guy in front missing the boost all together sucks, but what if he uses regular boost, and i use super boost?

1 minute ago, lIIlCompleXlIIl said:

Yeah - the guy in front missing the boost all together sucks, but what if he uses regular boost, and i use super boost?

No big consequences. You will catch up to him but you should have enough time to move around him.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if the smallest poles/signs, the tiny stop signs, slows you down or not?

Like these

CouNJkvWcAAzwWw.jpg

Edited by Lann

36 minutes ago, Lann said:

Does anyone know if the smallest poles/signs, the tiny stop signs, slows you down or not?

Hide contents

Like these

CouNJkvWcAAzwWw.jpg

Everything from the smallest obstacle to the unmovable object causes decreased speeds. Even hitting a small curb in the middle of the road causes a very slight loss of traction, which equals a fraction of speed loss. Little signs are a bit more then the little bumps. 

Edited by lIIlCompleXlIIl
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I once read somewhere, or someone told me, that in a race you should always be braking or accelerating, your foot should always be in one of them pedals. I don't know if this is accurate or not, as I don't even remember the source, but it stuck to me. Is this true? And if it is, does it apply to this game? I find myself not accelerating or braking at all in certain situations, specially during tight hairpins, during the "middle" of the turn. After I braked in a straight line I usually fear over-steering and spinning if I accelerate too early, so I just let the car turn on it's on momentum and only when pointed in the right direction I start accelerating. 

Is the answer to this throttle control? And if so, does it really exist in this game? I don't find the R2 throttle as sensitive as in other racing games, hence I usually tap it repeatedly when I want to accelerate but not so much, for example to avoid the RE-B7 spinning out when accelerating from scratch (i.e., after a respawn).

19 minutes ago, Arruda said:

I once read somewhere, or someone told me, that in a race you should always be braking or accelerating, your foot should always be in one of them pedals. I don't know if this is accurate or not, as I don't even remember the source, but it stuck to me. Is this true? And if it is, does it apply to this game? I find myself not accelerating or braking at all in certain situations, specially during tight hairpins, during the "middle" of the turn. After I braked in a straight line I usually fear over-steering and spinning if I accelerate too early, so I just let the car turn on it's on momentum and only when pointed in the right direction I start accelerating. 

Is the answer to this throttle control? And if so, does it really exist in this game? I don't find the R2 throttle as sensitive as in other racing games, hence I usually tap it repeatedly when I want to accelerate but not so much, for example to avoid the RE-B7 spinning out when accelerating from scratch (i.e., after a respawn).

Totally true.

In any racing, spending time off the brakes and throttle is time lost.

Coasting as it's called, usually when the driver hits the brakes too late, it causes the driver to have to coast through the corner because they've carried too much speed.

When you brake at the right time, you'll then let off the brakes, turn in and get straight back on the throttle so the time spent coasting is minimal. Too early or too late on the brakes messes that up.

Run some laps on a track that you know well, focus on your transitions from brakes to throttle and see how much you're coasting. It will cost you some time, but not as much as it would in sim-racing or IRL.

Throughout this video, the driver shows the time between braking and accelerating on the telemtery (red = brakes, green = throttle).

You'll see that the time coasting is almost nothing compared to some people in GTA who release the throttle and coast around corners. He gets off the throttle and immediately on the brakes (and vice-versa), no surprise to me as his footwork is always near perfect.

Oh and the RE-7B doesn't like driving away from a standing start, too much power I expect.

Edited by DavidCore89
  • Like 3

I do alot of "Coasting", or as I call it, Rolling the Center of the corner. Not for a long period of time, but long enough to allow the car to transition the Apex a bit. I find it makes taking some of the bumpy corners in LS a bit smoother. Now, Th8s may not be the textbook method for racimg, but at can be fast in some situations. 

• Like 1

Dodgeservice.png

I must be going mad or something. I watched more than half of that video thinking I was watching a real driver in a real circuit. I only realised it was Project Cars when the guy starts to change the brake pressure on the 7th minute. And I have played that fucking game before, just never saw the telemetry screen. I don't know if this says more about the quality of the visuals of the game, or of my quickly ageing brain :lol:

In the end it's pretty much as I expected. There's no real benefit to coasting in a corner, but I end up doing it like Dodge because I (or the R2 in GTA, not sure) don't have the sensitivity to control the throttle like that guy does in the video. He rarely if ever starts accelerating with the full power of the vehicle. I remember being somewhat able to do that with the controller in Gran Turismo, but in GTA I have a lot more difficulty. 

Sometimes I'm definitely doing because I brake too late (thanks for pointing that out @DavidCore89, it's not the kind of thing I would have associated, but in hindsight, it happens often when I coast) but most often I'm just playing it safe and not risking a spin out.

• Like 3

I guess it's hard not to coast when you're unfamiliar with the track, I know I do.

Also some corners in LS are pretty tough, so coasting is the safer option there.

Edited by DavidCore89

The experiences that I share in this Thread are much more directed at the Lehman Racer. I'm far from a Professional Driver, and I'm comfortable with this. I'm not at all refuting what DC is saying. His instruction, and examples are absolutely correct. I'm only going to share my Amateur Opinion on what works for me.

Dodgeservice.png

Just now, Dodge said:

The experiences that I share in this Thread are much more directed at the Lehman Racer. I'm far from a Professional Driver, and I'm comfortable with this. I'm not at all refuting what DC is saying. His instruction, and examples are absolutely correct. I'm only going to share my Amateur Opinion on what works for me.

Yeah, this isn't my thread, so I think I'll leave the info to you from here on :)

No, no. That's not what I'm saying at all. You hold records in games for fast laps. You are a better source for Pure Driving Intellect. As well as Fido. You don't have GTP in your screen name by mistake. lol.

I value you input in here. This is an open discussion for the Racers to help the ones that wish to learn. They need to hear as many sides of the issue as possible. IMO.

• Like 6

Dodgeservice.png

I'll often lay off the accelerator and brakes to even out the weight distribution across some bumps or turns with weird camber, is this incorrect?

Happy for any advice to get faster.

• Like 1