RED DEAD ONLINE BETA UPDATE

RSCnet

daf675f2821207eaa98b9944751d2fbe153bff3f

The next set of updates and new features is set to be added to the Red Dead Online Beta on February 26th as we implement many new improvements and enhancements to the game’s open world, including a new Law and Bounty system, weapons balancing, changes to player blips on the mini-map and more. Read on for details about these changes and stay tuned next week to learn more about some of the other new content coming in this update.

Player Visibility
As part of our response to community feedback on how to minimize certain types of destructive player behavior, we’ve made some changes to the way player blips will appear on the map.

Firstly, we’re reducing the visibility of blips over long distances – your map position won’t display to other players unless you are nearby (within 150 meters) and if you are slightly further away you will only appear when firing your weapon.  Players in other towns or regions, for example, won’t be visible. This prevents players from being repeatedly targeted across the map at long distances.

We’re also introducing a new system that highlights overly aggressive players. If your style of play becomes more hostile, your map position (and the position of your Posse members) will become more visible to other players with a progressively darkening dot that incrementally shifts from blue to dark red. Your visibility increases through bad deeds such as attacking and killing other players or their horses outside of a structured mode, Free Roam Mission, event or competition, and the shorter the time between bad acts, the more your visibility increases. Shift back to a more righteous path and your visibility will fade over time.

We’re also introducing Posse-wide Parleys and improving Feuds. You’ll soon be able to initiate Parley that applies to your attacker’s entire Posse after just a single kill. Alternatively, if you’d rather challenge your opponent, you can initiate a Feud, Posse Feud or Leader Feud after one kill, quickly turning a dispute into a timed mini-deathmatch for rival players to fight out amongst themselves in Free Roam, earning points for each kill on the opposing player.  

Bounty Hunters & Law Balancing
At the same time, players who have racked up high bounties will have a chance to be beset by NPC Bounty Hunters who will attempt to kill them and collect their reward.

Criminal behavior will have bounty values and honor consequences that scale based on the severity of the crime. For example, killing another player can incur a higher bounty, while assaulting townsfolk or animal cruelty could give you a lesser bounty if the crime is reported, while lower level crimes like looting and ransacking will only decrease your honor.

If your bounty exceeds a certain threshold and Bounty Hunters take notice, you will be wanted dead and alerted to their pursuit. The higher your bounty, the greater your value and the more difficult the pursuit becomes for you and your Posse.

Daily Challenges
We will also be adding a variety of Daily Challenges to take on across the Red Dead Online Beta. Complete individual objectives that cover every aspect of life on the frontier to earn Gold Nuggets and XP. Challenges will range from foraging for herbs, selling items at a Fence, hunting and skinning animals, clearing hideouts, winning Feuds and so much more. These Daily Challenges will continue to expand and evolve over time bringing specialty challenges and rewards, streak bonuses and more.

Other Fixes and More
Your feedback has been invaluable so please keep it coming. In addition to these updates we are planning to address several additional changes based on community feedback received thus far - select weapons will be re-balanced including the Varmint Rifle, which will have its accuracy brought more in line with other longarm weapons; voice chat will be reduced to work at closer proximity, and while fixes to horse cargo are numerous and ongoing we plan to introduce some improvements to making pelts and carcasses more persistent after death or respawning.

We will have more details on additional content in the February 26th update next week. We are excited about the future of Red Dead Online and look forward to sharing lots more in the weeks and months ahead.

Meanwhile, there are chances to earn more XP to rank up ahead of February 26th. Playing in a Posse will bring benefits like earning increased XP in Free Roam Missions and Free Roam Events. Posse up this week to earn twice as much increased XP on these activities, and next week earn 20% more XP across all activities in the Red Dead Online Beta.

Originally posted on RockstarSocialCLub.Net

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zztop911

• Banketelli

• Pb76

• shortround

I really hope the new bounty system won’t screw me when someone comes charging at me with a weapon raised. The law says I got to put a bullet into them. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Ultramoorine said:

I really hope the new bounty system won’t screw me when someone comes charging at me with a weapon raised. The law says I got to put a bullet into them. 

It's R*! Of course it's gonna be all screwed up! DUH!

• Thanks 1

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

It might be my inner cynic speaking, but:

• not seeing people on the map = harder to choose safe free roam mission locations and I'm sure that while on a mission this visibility rule won't be active, making you bigger twat magnet than usual, overall I predict it will be much more difficult to finish a free roam mission if you're not in a full posse.
  • I'm sure you'll end up running into griefers more often too, since it's harder to plan a safe journey.
  • visibility = it's not actually visibility, but colour coding. Not sure how that's supposed to deincentivise toxic behaviour? ("Oh, look, he's blue, probably bad at shooting back!")
  • bounties and hunters = it's not an anti-griefing measure, it's a anti-npc-xp-method-farm measure. Might make a difference in a town where it's hard to kill all witnesses but anywhere else it will be the same griefing as usual.

You can probably tell I'm not that impressed, might be actually worse than currently.... time will tell.

47 minutes ago, AlCohonez said:

• not seeing people on the map = harder to choose safe free roam mission locations and I'm sure that while on a mission this visibility rule won't be active, 

I was thinking pretty the same as well.

And I could see some people going out of their way to get a bounty just for the challenge of fighting the bounty hunters. So that may make things worse.

They still need to address the biggest problem - there is fuck all to do once you've done the few things in the game.

None of these things bring actual gameplay, sure bounties will add an additional activity, but it's not exactly ground-breaking.

• Like 2

All I want is the ability to crew vs crew. That is the only update I'm looking forward to and I have no clue why this game wasnt packaged with that...I find that frustrating af. I havent logged in in abut two weeks because all I had been doing is cougar farming so i could afford those silly ability cards...i have $4K and hate that I will spend 90% of it on ability cards just because other people are using them and I dont want to be at a disadvantage once we get the crew vs crew options, I'm guessing that will be a thing, right? If it existed in RDR1 it has to come to RDR2.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Con said:

All I want is the ability to crew vs crew. That is the only update I'm looking forward to and I have no clue why this game wasnt packaged with that...I find that frustrating af. I havent logged in in abut two weeks because all I had been doing is cougar farming so i could afford those silly ability cards...i have $4K and hate that I will spend 90% of it on ability cards just because other people are using them and I dont want to be at a disadvantage once we get the crew vs crew options, I'm guessing that will be a thing, right? If it existed in RDR1 it has to come to RDR2.

There wasn't any crew vs crew option in the first game. But all we need is the playlist option. Then we can use it to set up H2H's like we have done with adversary modes in GTAO.

As for the ability cards, hopefully we can find some trustworthy crews like we've managed to do in GTAO where we can agree upon some rules like no cards.

1 hour ago, AlCohonez said:

• not seeing people on the map = harder to choose safe free roam mission locations and I'm sure that while on a mission this visibility rule won't be active, making you bigger twat magnet than usual, overall I predict it will be much more difficult to finish a free roam mission if you're not in a full posse.
  • I'm sure you'll end up running into griefers more often too, since it's harder to plan a safe journey.
  • visibility = it's not actually visibility, but colour coding. Not sure how that's supposed to deincentivise toxic behaviour? ("Oh, look, he's blue, probably bad at shooting back!")
  • bounties and hunters = it's not an anti-griefing measure, it's a anti-npc-xp-method-farm measure. Might make a difference in a town where it's hard to kill all witnesses but anywhere else it will be the same griefing as usual.

You can probably tell I'm not that impressed, might be actually worse than currently.... time will tell.

If I'm not mistaken mission visibility is already proximity based.

As for griefers and avoiding them, to me it looks like it's gonna be a whole lot easier. Unless you yourself are red, you'll be able to spot them on the map before they can see you and can then act accordingly. Though, it's definitely not a perfect system. If you just wanna be left alone, it's gonna be impossible to locate a deserted area until you're actually there. I predict a lot of wasted travelling. 

2 hours ago, Banketelli said:

If I'm not mistaken mission visibility is already proximity based.

As for griefers and avoiding them, to me it looks like it's gonna be a whole lot easier. Unless you yourself are red, you'll be able to spot them on the map before they can see you and can then act accordingly. Though, it's definitely not a perfect system. If you just wanna be left alone, it's gonna be impossible to locate a deserted area until you're actually there. I predict a lot of wasted travelling. 

Now, when you open the map, you can see everyone. Only the mini-map is proximity based.

The bounty system will be just like in GTA when someone attacks you in a vehicle and you blow them up. You get charged for the insurance. In RDO, someone or a posse will make a charge at you and if you kill them first..... guess who gets the bounty on them. LOL! Mark my word.

4 hours ago, AlCohonez said:

My thoughts exactly.

Let's hope we're both wrong..........but I doubt it.

Because Fat Buds Matter!

14 minutes ago, zztop911 said:

Now, when you open the map, you can see everyone. Only the mini-map is proximity based.

The bounty system will be just like in GTA when someone attacks you in a vehicle and you blow them up. You get charged for the insurance. In RDO, someone or a posse will make a charge at you and if you kill them first..... guess who gets the bounty on them. LOL! Mark my word.

My thoughts exactly.

Let's hope we're both wrong..........but I doubt it.

I don't recall ever getting a notification for another player/posse doing a mission across the map or seeing them when opening the main map. It's always pretty close by.

The whole bounty system sounds annoying.

3 minutes ago, Banketelli said:

I don't recall ever getting a notification for another player/posse doing a mission across the map or seeing them when opening the main map. It's always pretty close by.

The whole bounty system sounds annoying.

Ok, yes.....Players in missions are location based.

Because Fat Buds Matter!

A snippet from an AMA with Roger Clark, the actor behind Arthur Morgan. The interesting thing is what he says at the end, "They (R*) are still working on it (RDR2) now too, you know, online and whatnot. They've some announcements coming out, end of the month." I can't find the source of the AMA, only this bit from a click bait youtuber, but it's from this month as he talks about Valentine's Day in another video posted from the same AMA.

So is this anything or nothing? Has Mr. Clark just read the same newswire post as we have stating that more announcements will be coming soon? I see no reason why he would be in the know as to when things are made public, especially online content, but maybe he has heard a little something from someone at R*, maybe they're gonna come out with the first story DLC since the iPhone 4 and maybe Arthur Morgan is entering the online world.?

The video:

Edited by Banketelli
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Rockstar screwed up the hunting economy AGAIN!

Prices are generally down on birds with feather count down for some no mater the condition, feather prices and carcass prices.

• Confused 1

Because Fat Buds Matter!

Here's the official one

https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/60864/Red-Dead-Online-Beta-Update-Out-Now

But there's plenty of secret changes, like the cuts to hunting payouts that zztop mentioned or adding accuracy bloom into dead eye (also dead eye is not resetting after death anymore).

Haven't played yet as I'm away for a few days but I'm not liking the sound of what has changed. Kinda bummed that I didn't earn the cash or farmed xp while it was available as it seemed that R* has worked hard over the past few months on messing them up.

• Thanks 1

On the positive side it would appear that skins, pelts etc. are persistent. I had Xyon kill me last night and my alligator skin was on my horse when i spawned in, also kept my goodies when my horse ran off during a gang hideout. ?

• Haha 1

It's been nearly 24 hours since I found out that the make-up glitch had been fixed and I've finally calmed down, ready to put down a few thoughts on the update.

I'm not all against drip feeding. Kinda like the thought of having something new to look forward to each week for like a month but the initial update still has to contain the majority of the content and that can't be said about this one. Not even one of the new modes being included is beyond me. The whole thing feels underwhelming.

The hunting nerf was predictable. It made no sense that an intact carcass would sell for the same as one that had been ripped into. The adjustment of amount of plumes/feathers you can collect per bird puts the Bayou area more in line with the rest of the map, and I can't be mad about that. It was way too easy to make money in that area and made it feel like a waste of time to hunt anywhere else which was kind of a shame. 

So far I've only had good experiences with the new blip/proximity system. The aggressive players can be spotted from across the map and the dark blue blips I've run into have been peaceful. The detection range could be extended a bit, though. You're almost face to face with the the other player before you're able to see their blip on the mini-map. They also need to change it so that you can tell by the mini-map if the red blips are close by or far away.

As far as the ability cards being nerfed...  nerf away!

Final thoughts: The fixes/changes are nice but expected and as far as actual content, well, it's very limited. I truly believe that just like the announcement of the update - fixes/changes first then content news a week later - the priorities were just that, and that the next update we get content won't be an afterthought. Well, the last thing I can only hope for.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Banketelli said:

It's been nearly 24 hours since I found out that the make-up glitch had been fixed and I've finally calmed down, ready to put down a few thoughts on the update.

I'm not all against drip feeding. Kinda like the thought of having something new to look forward to each week for like a month but the initial update still has to contain the majority of the content and that can't be said about this one. Not even one of the new modes being included is beyond me. The whole thing feels underwhelming.

The hunting nerf was predictable. It made no sense that an intact carcass would sell for the same as one that had been ripped into. The adjustment of amount of plumes/feathers you can collect per bird puts the Bayou area more in line with the rest of the map, and I can't be mad about that. It was way too easy to make money in that area and made it feel like a waste of time to hunt anywhere else which was kind of a shame. 

So far I've only had good experiences with the new blip/proximity system. The aggressive players can be spotted from across the map and the dark blue blips I've run into have been peaceful. The detection range could be extended a bit, though. You're almost face to face with the the other player before you're able to see their blip on the mini-map. They also need to change it so that you can tell by the mini-map if the red blips are close by or far away.

As far as the ability cards being nerfed...  nerf away!

Final thoughts: The fixes/changes are nice but expected and as far as actual content, well, it's very limited. I truly believe that just like the announcement of the update - fixes/changes first then content news a week later - the priorities were just that, and that the next update we get content won't be an afterthought. Well, the last thing I can only hope for.

They nerfed bird prices all over the map. Herons are very common, so a nerf there is logical. Spoonbills, eagles, hawks, condors and owls are not. They all were nerfed.

In the real world, a processed animal does sell for more money. If you sell hide, meat, teeth and claws, you should get more.

Would you say nerf if you put money into upgrading all those cards? I think not.

The only positive thing for me is that I THINK they fixed butcher sales of pelts.

Because Fat Buds Matter!

59 minutes ago, zztop911 said:

They nerfed bird prices all over the map. Herons are very common, so a nerf there is logical. Spoonbills, eagles, hawks, condors and owls are not. They all were nerfed.

In the real world, a processed animal does sell for more money. If you sell hide, meat, teeth and claws, you should get more.

Would you say nerf if you put money into upgrading all those cards? I think not.

The only positive thing for me is that I THINK they fixed butcher sales of pelts.

I know they did. But the Bayou was bird heaven so the change naturally affected that area the most putting it MORE in line with the rest of the map.

That's true. I was only comparing complete carcasses vs processed ones. 

I've 12 fully upgraded cards including Peak Condition, so yes I would. If you wanna compete, you gotta have them so I have, but I'd rather be without. It sucks having spent that money but the improved gameplay makes up for it.

Edited by Banketelli
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Banketelli said:

I know they did. But the Bayou was bird heaven so the change naturally affected that area the most putting it MORE in line with the rest of the map.

That's true. I was only comparing complete carcasses vs processed ones. 

I've 12 fully upgraded cards including Peak Condition, so yes I would. If you wanna compete, you gotta have them so I have, but I'd rather be without. It sucks having spent that money but the improved gameplay makes up for it.

I'd rather there be no ability card for the most part. It does add a new dimension to the game and can help with your playing style. I almost never use dead eye while playing in free roam. I only use it to combat other using it or when out numbered.

Speaking of being outnumbered, I was attacked by a posse of three this morning. I proceeded to kill them one by one for a few minutes with them killing me once. Guess who got a sizable bounty! LOL! That's just not right.

Edited by zztop911

Because Fat Buds Matter!

2 hours ago, zztop911 said:

I'd rather there be no ability card for the most part. It does add a new dimension to the game and can help with your playing style. I almost never use dead eye while playing in free roam. I only use it to combat other using it or when out numbered.

Speaking of being outnumbered, I was attacked by a posse of three this morning. I proceeded to kill them one by one for a few minutes with them killing me once. Guess who got a sizable bounty! LOL! That's just not right.

That's ridiculous.? Online play is too complex for their little bounty system to work properly.

Edited by Banketelli
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Banketelli said:

That's ridiculous.? Online play is too complex for their little bounty system to work properly.

Totally agree!

Because Fat Buds Matter!