Project Sweet and Low

JustHatched

It's an rc plane I am restoring, these have not been made since the early 80's and only came in kit form as far as I know, meaning each piece had to be glued together, much unlike the ready to fly planes of today. They are rare to see. This particular SnL has been in my barn for nearly 3 years waiting for it's time to come to fly again. I am hoping to have it up by the end of August when my flight club is having their giant scale fly in. 

It features a fuselage which is quite over built by today's standards (built like a tank) and an 86 inch wing that looks like you are carrying a surf board.

Structurally it is very sound, a few small dings in the wood to fill but looks to have never been crashed. All the coverings, servos, fuel lines, etc.. have to be replaced due to age and mouse damage

When complete it will be purple, white and black, powered by a 35cc Eagle Master Engine and will contain 6 Hitec titanium gear high torque high voltage servos (engine and servos are far superior than what was available when this was built). It should turn a few heads at rc airshows because of the rarity of the plane.

As of writing this I have the plane completely stripped, waiting on the covering (monokote) to get here. I got all the dings filled and sanding done. In the first pic my lighter is in front of the wing so you get an idea of size.

qCFYeEW.jpg

jLOnR5F.jpg

anxeVQC.jpg

aSBbMbi.jpg

B6h3xT4.jpg

m45Dff5.jpg

• Like 4

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

6 minutes ago, Whiteford99 said:

Very nice, not sure I would have the patience to build one myself, but admire your ability to do so!

I'm trying to build a rep for being able to fix damaged planes, see if I can make side cash fixing for others. Many in the hobby don't really know how to fix them. Planes today are pretty well already built when you buy them, you just put them together, buy today and fly tomorrow so to speak. 20 years ago or so everything was in a kit, might take a month or 2 to build. So alot of fliers, if they crash either throw them away or pay someone to fix them. I've pulled a few out of the trash and put them back together and now I think I am ready to pull of some good work. The wood work is easy, it's the covering that's a bitch, making it look factory done and not some rookie shit with a bunch of wrinkles.

• Like 2

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

I need to check in the garage, but pretty sure there is an old rc plane I picked up 15 or 20 years ago at a garage sale. If I can find it I'll shoot you a couple pics, see if it is worth anything. If I remember right, it looked like a Piper Cub.

Wow, that thing is HUGE! My dad used to fly rc planes and built them all from a kit, so many pieces to put together haha. He had heaps of different ones which were half built, including a bi plane. 

We've ve recently cleaned out the old garage and had to throw most of it away since we had no place to put it and he was never going to use it again. 

He wanted to keep one of them, I'll take a photo and put it up soon. He also has an rc car that he made and has a propellor to drive it. 

• Like 1

scottyb1988.jpg

Bought the engine yesterday, it's NIB but I got it from a guy who never used it and needed cash, so I got it on the cheap.

DLE 30cc gas engine

DL30WPA_1.jpg

Wing is nearly done, I didn't order enough white monokote so waiting on another roll to get here. Plane will be purple and white

It's taken me longer to get this done than planned, been working on it in the late evenings till about 2am.

Got it stripped, wood fixed and recovered, got a few servos mounted and the engine stands mounted. Still have to remount the fuel tank in a way that will allow room for the electronic ignition module, voltage reg, and kill switch (these didn't exist when this plane was originally built) while still having room for the throttle wire to squeeze thru to get to a servo. In the servo area I have to figure out how to make room for 2 6.6 volt LiFe batteries and a Smartfly power management system (all of which didn't exist way back either)

Got some pics of the new covering and the engine sitting in place so I could mark where the plug wire, ignition wire, throttle wire and fuel line would be.

HEHMuJf.jpg

b9FsL9a.jpg

p93pUZ0.jpg

oqEH23w.jpg

NesxBC0.jpg

VYZdtFz.jpg

l6Jl2AQ.jpg

69jONvM.jpg

• Like 3

It's pretty well finished, I'll snap some pics in a day or 2. Only thing left to do is balance the plane and I need to get a custom prop mount made to do that because it is ridiculous tail heavy. The old quadra engine was a lot heavier than the new DLE. SO I am taking he 1/4inch aluminum mount off and having a machine shop make a 5/8 inch steel with an added 1/2 inch diameter to get some weight in the nose.

Started the engine for the first time today, new engines are so much fun (not) to get running the first few times till they are broke in.