How to clean air intake ports?

On my laptop (HP Pavilion g7-1083nr) the fan is running constantly, so I figure the first step is to clean the ports that the air goes in from outside the laptop, whats the best and proper method to clean them without messing up the computer?

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

Is it under warranty? If not, I'd open up the laptop, vacuum the big bits, then use compressed dry (!) air (it's sold in spray cans) and get rid of any dust on the inside.

If it's still under warranty then use a vaccum and try to suck as much dust out of it as pissible?

I had the same laptop.

The first model had the fan completely fail after a couple of weeks, the second one developed the same issue where the fan wouldn't stop running.

Had HP models before that which were great, but that one caused me nothing but trouble.

9 minutes ago, zmurko said:

Is it under warranty? If not, I'd open up the laptop, vacuum the big bits, then use compressed dry (!) air (it's sold in spray cans) and get rid of any dust on the inside.

If it's still under warranty then use a vaccum and try to suck as much dust out of it as pissible?

Dunno, bought it used a few years ago, but the person whom had it before me used it a couple times to net surf and gave up on learning and sold it (she is in her 80's)

3 minutes ago, DavidCore89 said:

I had the same laptop.

The first model had the fan completely fail after a couple of weeks, the second one developed the same issue where the fan wouldn't stop running.

Had HP models before that which were great, but that one caused me nothing but trouble.

So what did you do to fix the 2nd one?

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Just now, Hatch said:

Dunno, bought it used a few years ago, but the person whom had it before me used it a couple times to net surf and gave up on learning and sold it (she is in her 80's)

So what did you do to fix the 2nd one?

I took it back to the store and got my money back.

My conclusion was that the fan or the drivers for the fan have some issues.

1 minute ago, DavidCore89 said:

If you've had it a few years it might just need a clean.

I would like to get a new one but I have not seen one yet that I like, they all look like crap and the mouse pad is to slick on them, with some issues I have I cant feel where my fingers are on the pad.

Avoid using vacuum cleaners. They create a huge static build up which can damage components of a PC. Compressed air in a can is the safest method. Be careful when using it though. The cans will get extremely cold and if held upside down while spraying drips can form on the condensing can which you don't want to fall into your electronics. 

• 1 month later...

I use to normally just disassemble the laptop and use a old tooth brush on the vent and heat sink.

Now I just cut a straw at a 45 degree angle, put it up against the vents an Blow the damn thing.

: AWE :........ wait that don't sound right, blow out the dang dust.

Edited by Smurf

I usually just give them a blast with compressed air (I have a small 5 litre tank compressor just for cleaning purposes). Do it with the laptop off and in the opposite direction from normal airflow.

If that doesn't work you may need to replace the thermal compound on the CPU heat sink and that will mean taking the laptop apart if you're up for that.