VW GTI, Mini Cooper S or WRX?

Beez

So I have a VW Jetta TDI and as you might know it's one of the cars in the emissions cheating scandal. More details are coming June 21 but I'm starting to look at options now. It's said they will buy it back and on top of that give me $5000. Still it has over 140,000 miles on it now. I could opt to keep it and live with whatever "fix" VW adds to it but I assume it will have less power and worse mpg. I'm in "wait and see" mode right now but considering replacements. So...

Does anyone have experience with current VW GTI, Mini Cooper S or Subaru WRX (not the STi)? I will not be buying new but late model used. Thanks.

I guess the first question you gotta ask yourself is: what do you want the car for? Sorta goes in line with what kind of transmission and drivetrain you want.

The GTI has gotten endless praise year over year for its' mannerisms and engine. I've never really been a fan of how it looks though. I have however been a fan of Subaru for years and each WRX has become more and more refined. They've also started to gain more and more attractive sheetmetal (although why fucking Subaru doesn't EVER build their model concepts is BEYOND me).

I've driven a Mini Cooper S before. They're truly small as hell but they're so incredibly light that you can put that power down and it feels like it has more. They're somewhat goofy in their interior design but you could get used to it.

I'd personally lean toward the WRX though. I'm curious though, since you did pick a Subie, any interest in a BRZ?

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

XRX all the way! I was a passenger in an Impreza a few years ago and it was breathtaking. It was on rails and so fast. I'd imagine the WRX is an improvement on its incredible predecessor. 

I've heard the Golf GTIs are very nice to drive (my uncle has driven a few) and they do look very nice. Aren't they included in the emissions scandal too though? Haven't really paid much attention, just assumed they were. 

A customer where I work has recently owned a Mini Cooper S, Mitsubishi Evo FQ400 and he currently drives an Impreza WRX. He swears by the Impreza despite it having a drainpipe exhaust, mudflaps and very loud dump valve (he's 65!). I'd choose the WRX and would love to be in a position to do so myself!

Personally I think the VW Golf GTI Clubsport Edition is the one to get.

Around £3k more, but it has much cleaner wheels, cool rear roof spoiler, alcantara steering wheel, cloth and alcantara seats, slightly quicker to 60MPH and also better suspension. Not sure if that's available in the US. Could argue that the Golf R is better and only £1k more, but the Clubsport is rare.

As G said, the Mini has very goofy looks, they attract a certain type of driver IMO.

Not really a fan of the '16 or 17 WRX's, they have grown a lot since the ones I liked from the 2000's. Also after buying the WRX you'll probably wish it was an STi :P

Edited by DavidCore89

Wait for a Focus RS. Could get a new one now, but you said you wanted used, so you might have to wait a little, but from what I have read about the RS, it will be worth it.

My .02.

I've test driven all three before, if you want the best performance, get the WRX. If you want to wear skinny jeans, get the Mini. If you want the better allrounder under get the GTI. 

Have you considered the Merc A45? 

+1 for the Focus RS.

Seriously, WRX is the way to go. 

How can you consider another VW after they lied to you before ? 

'06 WRX STi was the last good one IMO before they went mad with the shape, turned it into a hatchback and then put it on steroids for a few years to make it what it is today. You'll get a good one for less than half of the new WRX, maybe £12k.

As with the shape of the Golf - if it isn't broken don't fix it (the Germans are wise) :)

2006_subaru_impreza_wrx_sti_wrx_sti-pic-