Fiction or Non Fiction books?

JustHatched

Which do you prefer?

I don't read alot, but prefer fiction because if I am reading it is to clear my mind of anything real

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

Non-Fiction, especially anything pertaining to history.  I'm sort of obsessed with history though.

I do enjoy fiction, more so writing it myself, as I'm very picky when it comes to writing styles among fiction writers.

• Like 2

I think I'd enjoy fiction books as I do have a pretty good imagination but have never really got into it. I prefer movies and TV shows for the fiction as I get to be taken on a ride through another persons eyes as such.

I do read a lot, mostly on the internet and not books which is non fiction with the purpose of learning something I'm currently interested in.

scottyb1988.jpg

I like fiction, a mixture of classics and Nordic Noir. Like Hatched, I use it for a bit of relaxation and escapism. Accordingly, and in contrast to LN, history is my profession so I tend to stay away from history books when reading for pleasure (I see it as 'work' - not all historians do, but then again, I'm probably not the best historian...)

• Like 1

u0rf6Cd.jpg

Fiction, I'm on a Salman Rushdie binge right now, read a lot of Iris Murdoch and Haruki Murakami lately, and, of course, The Man, Will Self (my profile pic :D)

Just now, LimeGreenLegend said:

Fiction, I'm on a Salman Rushdie binge right now, read a lot of Iris Murdoch and Haruki Murakami lately, and, of course, The Man, Will Self (my profile pic :D)

Midnight's Children is one of my all time favourites. I keep meaning to read some Murdoch and Murakami. Any recommendations?

u0rf6Cd.jpg

Sorry to sit on the fence but it is genuinely both for me. I love popular history and most of the fiction I read is historical fiction, by which I mean not just stories set in the past but those that go into reasonably accurate details about the events and people they depict. I do like some sci-fi and other stuff as well.

@Team_Bub_8487 I'm like you, but the other way round. I'm a scientist and don't read much popular science. I have tried a few but I find I want more detail than they go into. So I guess it's the same for a historian reading popular history.

• Like 3

Fiction which is based on reality. Tom Clancy's series of books is a fine example. His work certainly inspired many games as well as relating to real world events. 

• Like 1

@djw180 It's not that I have anything against popular history per se, it's more like I need to get away from ALL history when I'm reading for pleasure!

I wish I could still enjoy it like @LN-MLB, but the job kinda killed the pleasure of it for me.

Edited by Team_Bub_8487

u0rf6Cd.jpg

1 hour ago, Team_Bub_8487 said:

Midnight's Children is one of my all time favourites. I keep meaning to read some Murdoch and Murakami. Any recommendations?

I'm saving that one for last, best ever Booker Prize winning book ever apparently.

For Murakami I'd start with Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman which is a short story collection that perfectly encapsulates his surrealist style, then move on to The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles, one of my favourite books.

As for Murdoch, Under the Net, her first novel, is a good starting place, The Time of the Angels, The Unicorn, The Sea, The Sea (incredible novel) and my personal favourite, The Philosopher's Pupil.  All of her books have amazing realistic dialogue and motivations for her characters, lots of philosophical musings (she was a philosopher before a novelist) and each of them become darker and more twisted the further you go on (especially The Time of the Angels).

When it comes to fiction, I do prefer something at least moderately plausible and realistic.  I can get into aliens, I can get into time travel, I can even get into zombies and slashers when I really want to check out, but when it comes down to pure fantasy involving extreme supernatural elements and people with unrealistic abilities, I'll either need a nap, some good drugs, or both.  It's one of the reasons I could never get into Star Wars (I know, I know...) or Lord of the Rings.

I also hate James Joyce and Nathaniel Hawthorne.

I read fiction most of what I read is based on the war on terror and different guys who fight it offialiated with different organizations. 

I do read a lot usually before bed or at work when I have some down time.  I read on my nook and I also use the kindle app.  Probably have over 200 books on it. 

Non-fiction. 

After reading The Perfect Storm I got interested in nautical tales of survival. Read a book about king crab fishing on the Bering Sea before Deadliest Catch was a TV show. Read some books about maritime salvage, modern pirates, 17th century whaling, New England commercial fishing and books on the Titanic. After reading those amazing true stories of survival made up ones don't do it for me.

1 hour ago, LN-MLB said:

I also hate James Joyce and Nathaniel Hawthorne.

Not my beautiful Jimmy! I love Dubliners and have actually read Ulysses (twice!).

8 hours ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

Not my beautiful Jimmy! I love Dubliners and have actually read Ulysses (twice!).

Haha, sorry, Lime. :P  I don't know what it is, but his writing style drove me insane when I tried reading "Ulysses".  Same with Nathaniel Hawthorne's "The Scarlet Letter".  It's funny though because I once knew a relative of James Joyce, who shared his surname, and she too could never get into his work.  Being his relative, she was familiar with his work quite early, and we discussed our feelings of just sort of being completely lost most of the time.  I haven't tried reading it in well over a decade, but perhaps I'll give it another shot since I'm older.  I can appreciate some experimental literary creativity, but my problem with Hawthorne were his tendencies to sort of over do it with describing a scene--it just came off as far too wordy and unnecessary, leaving absolutely nothing to the imagination and distracted me from the central theme of the story.  Quite a few writers do this, and I suppose that deep down, I prefer a more straight to the point approach when it comes to fiction.  I don't like three pages worth of text describing the texture of the grass. :D 

• Like 1

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081: