How do you play your single player games?

ScottyB

What difficulty settings do you usually set your games on and will you go back and play it on a higher difficulty after you've completed it?

In open world games, do you play every little side mission or just play it for the main story?

Edited by ScottyB

scottyb1988.jpg

I generally set the difficulty to one above the default. I like it to be challenging, but not too hard that I get frustrated. It does depend on the mood I'm in as well. On one of the uncharted games, I remember having trouble on one of the missions so I (reluctantly) lowered the difficulty to get past it and put it back up when I could.

I'm usually playing the story mode for the main story. I'm not a completionist but will do side missions as I come across them. On games like The Witcher, this becomes incredibly time consuming. It's a good thing as long as it's not repetitive and it gives you a lot more things to do/time to play the game.

• Like 1

scottyb1988.jpg

Default or one higher. As you stated it depends what mood i'm in at that moment. I'm not the person that looks for every little thing and side mission. When i'm close i'll take it if not, well too bad for that side mission.

I tend to be a bit OCD on side missions, I'll go and restart a game if I missed one or some other little treasure or something.

ill generally go on default difficulty, I'm not great at games so that's plenty challenging.

• Like 2

I usually play them on default mode and just do what I need to finish them to start with. Then I'll go back on a harder mode and do all the side missions, find the secrets, etc.

• Like 1

I'm a bit OCD about single player games. I almost only play only open-world games, which are my favourites, and usually play them with in a heavily role-play fashion:

- I never fast travel anywhere in any game. 

- I don't accept death. If my character dies, I will reload a hard save. I always turn off autosave when you have that option, like in GTA V. For that reason, I really get annoyed when games don't allow you to have hard-saves, such as Far Cry or Mad Max. Mad Max actually auto-saves when you continue after death, so I close the application when I die and reload from there. In Far Cry, if I die, I reload, and since you restart at a camp, I will purposely drive to the exact spot where I died, even if I wasn't doing anything important there.

- Difficulty depends on the game. I only enjoy Fallout in the hardest setting, because even though the game can be challenging at the start, there will quickly become a stage where I'll be too overpowered. And since I don't like to change difficulty mid game, I start at the hardest and take extreme care and planning when approaching each situation. Far Cry also becomes too easy as you develop your skills, so that's another hard for me. I don't go out of my way to look for insurmountable challenges though, so if the difficulty is balanced I'll just play it on normal. I never turn it down to easy. 

- I never saw anyone play GTA like me. I really get into character, and one of the things I love about 5 is that there's 3 characters with different personalities. I behave properly with Michael, unless provoked or challenged by a pedestrian. Franklin only gets into trouble with other gangsters or criminals. Unless in an emergency, I will usually only steal a car in quiet parking lots or alleyways. I only go psycho with Trevor, but even with him I won't go on random rampages unless provoked or in a suitable location. I might stealthily murder someone at the top of mount chilliad or run over a biker on the street, but won't do a spree killing in mid-LS during rush hour. I also don't run or sprint unless they're in a rush for a specific purpose. 

GTA V is the perfect game for my playing style. The world in SP is absolutely gorgeous, with incredibly realistic movement from pedestrians and such. It's a joy for me just walking down a street and observing what goes around. It's also practical in that I can save anywhere with the phone and reload in the exact same spot.

Some games break my way of playing because of their structure. I'm now playing TLOU and I accept death in this game, it would be unbearable if I didn't. Will never be my favourite kind of game though. 

• Like 5

I usually use the default difficulty setting because often there is only easy, normal or hard. If there's a super hard one, I'll use the hard mode instead. 

About side missions, I try to do them as soon as possible cause they usually grant you rewards that you can then use in the main missions. 

But reading on what some of you have said, I may change that and complète the story first. The rewards make the game less challenging actually. I'll do different with GTA6.

7 minutes ago, Fido_le_muet said:

I usually use the default difficulty setting because often there is only easy, normal or hard. If there's a super hard one, I'll use the hard mode instead. 

About side missions, I try to do them as soon as possible cause they usually grant you rewards that you can then use in the main missions. 

But reading on what some of you have said, I may change that and complète the story first. The rewards make the game less challenging actually. I'll do different with GTA6.

I don't always demand challenge to enjoy a game, and GTA games are exactly the sort of game I can enjoy just because of the role-playing aspect. I've played through the SP campaign countless times (in the PS3). That said, my obsession with not dying adds an extra layer of challenge, because death, even if unlikely, can sometimes mean going back one or two hours (I don't bother to save that often). When you get those 3 stars due to putting yourself in the wrong situation, and are stranded in a beach with cops coming from all sides, survival can become pretty tense.

During missions I also have my own extra challenges related to the role-playing aspect, such as trying to complete the mission taking the least amount of damage possible, which requires precise shooting and use of cover. I've managed to complete missions such as Crystal Maze without a single drop of blood on Trevor's clothes. In driving sections I always try to keep the car mint. The challenge in a game doesn't have to always be in the completion of objectives, you can create your own challenges.

I actually think the realism they put into GTA IV and V is a sign that's how the developers like to play things as well. Some simple details, like you, since IV, needing to press a button to run (instead of it being the default stance) make me think that. You can rush things and blow everything around if you want, or have 3 head-on collisions during a reppossesion for Simeon, but I find the game is so much more enjoyable if you just take it like you would in RL, as this game allows you do that. Blowing things up is fun, but it gets repetitive quickly. I do play out of character sometimes, after saving for the night and before turning the PS4 off for some random fun.

I play on default difficulty unless there is a trophy that requires a different level of difficulty.

I don't play many open world games, but I don't usually look for every little side-mission, just the requirements to 100% complete the game with a platinum trophy.

13 minutes ago, DavidCore89 said:

I play on default difficulty unless there is a trophy that requires a different level of difficulty.

I don't play many open world games, but I don't usually look for every little side-mission, just the requirements to 100% complete the game with a platinum trophy.

If that signature thing updates itself on real time (no idea, as I never used one), you're exactly on 1000 trophies :D Congrats!

51 minutes ago, Arruda said:

If that signature thing updates itself on real time (no idea, as I never used one), you're exactly on 1000 trophies :D Congrats!

Well it updates once per 24 hours, but it is accurate as of now and thanks!

I usually go with default settings, but that is also depending on the type of game it is. I will do whatever is required to get trophies till I get bored, I think I have 4-5 games now that if I spent a day or 2 in each I would have the platinum, hard for to get cuz it feels like a grind :P

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

I like the way you play @Arruda. I've done it that way before on GTA3 and VC.

I usually play normal difficulty unless it's a game I'm playing with BeezWife and then it's Easy. We recently played Diablo 3 though and had to make it more difficult because we were just mowing through enemies and taking no damage.

I don't care about 100% or trophies. 

I usually play as the game comes to me meaning as a side mission or collectible comes up I'll do that instead of mainlining it to the story missions. Currently playing Assassins Creed Black Flag and I'm taking my time and enjoying it slowly, not in a rush to finish.

Paying 60 bucks for a game, I am going to make sure I get my money's worth. That said, I start on the lowest setting and replay it on every other difficulty level. Uncharted 4 was an exception as I didn't want to start on the lowest. I play games for fun and higher difficulties can impede that fun due to my lack of a temper. Playing the easier stuff let's me figure the game out and learn enemy patterns.  I like to collect every little item and search every corner. Working towards trophies can be fun as well.

As for sand box games, I only play GTA and yes, I do every thing there is to do. Main missions, side missions,  collections, etc. I restarted GTA V when I learned that I missed a Simeon encounter and could not access it.

The thing I miss from the early GTA games is all the extra missions. Taxi, Fire Truck, etc. They were the best way to learn ones way around the map.

When it comes to the story mode, I like to become one with the character I play as and act as I imagine that character would act in any given situation (always taking into consideration the character's past and everything I know about the character and his/her goals/objectives). That applies when you have choices to make in the game, of course, which thankfully holds true for many games nowadays.

Hardly ever do I "rush" through the story and skip everything else - quite the opposite - I do side missions and encounters whenever I find them, whenever they're available and don't require me going out of my way to complete them. If they require too much effort at first (such as travelling a long-long way), I leave them for later, though. Any collectables I see, I pick up, but these are usually left for when the story or 1st play-through are finished, unless they provide some sort of a boon and would be beneficial if collected earlier.

Experiencing everything a game has to offer is what I do and since most trophies/awards/achievements in games are obtained that way anyway, I've decided to do both whenever I can. Sometimes some trophies can even help me experience aspects of the game that I haven't found/tried out before, which means getting all the trophies and experiencing everything the game has to offer go hand in hand for me.

Difficulty-wise I never pick a lower difficulty setting than Normal and if there are 2 or more tougher difficulties available after Normal, then I usually pick the one after Normal for the 1st play-through. If it's a game (series) that I've never played before and am unfamiliar with, then I'll pick Normal difficulty for sure. If it's something I've played before, I might go straight for Hard (or equivalent) or higher.

I also usually turn auto-save off in games where it's optional (mainly to avoid death or losing valuable items/friendly characters/events/etc.), such as GTA, RDR, FIFA and others. Although, I have to say - it does take away a part of the fun, so I kind of wish there was only ever the auto-save option and no manual save, because I'm more relaxed when playing auto-save only games. :P

Edited by Protocawl
  • Like 2

@Arruda and @Protocawl I've never done that to that degree but it sounds like an amazing way to play! I don't really have that much time to get into it to that degree but I think I'll be trying it sometime soon.

I really enjoyed Beyond:2 souls because it makes you play out as a character and you have many decisions which will affect the outcome. With all these decision, I prefer to make the decisions as I would in real life instead of as the character per se, and with beyond: 2 souls, it sets it up so that you truly do feel like you've been sucked into the game which is awesome.

GTA's side missions are pretty good. Some are a little repetitive but there aren't too many and most of them will happen when you're nearby which works out well. With the Witcher, you're forced to go out of your way to do these side missions and to level up before you can continue the main story. It is good in its own way but I find it to be a bit more of a grind to accomplish things instead of doing it because you want to.

EDIT: The side missions for GTA are good, but all the collectors things for 100% completion like stunt jumps and take photos and collect parts are far too time consuming. The only way you could do it is with a guide unless you want to invest thousands of hours and walk the entire map multiple times over; and who has time for that?? I don't get why they make it so difficult because I highly doubt anyone would do it properly and by themselves. They should set up a detector thing where is will show a small area where you need to find the specific thing to make it a little easier without guides.

Edited by ScottyB
  • Like 1

scottyb1988.jpg

I usually set my at normal difficulty, but it depends on the game and settings.

I remember when I played GTA: San Andreas, I would also never accept a death for my character.  If it happened or came close, I would always revert back to the previous save.

As for side missions and other things aside from the main storyline; yes, I try to do them all, but I don't think I did some of the ones when I played GTA: IV.  I did literally everything for 100% and then some when I played San Andreas though--about three different times. :)  I love the side missions from GTA and Red Dead Redemption, but I can't say that I have ever liked the Stunt Jumps or some of the things required for 100%.  I only did the Stunt Jumps in online to unlock paint and because Desuno and I went through them all one-by-one back in the day when no one else was online.  It was fun doing when you have someone to converse with, but I'd imagine that it'd be quite boring otherwise.  I'll still never understand some of the things you must do for 100%, but then again, I'm content as long as I have completed everything pertaining to character interactions.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I only play GTA, Fallout series, and Skyrim. I play at default or +1 first time through.

I am OCD about side quests. I run Fallout and Skyrim on pc for the custom downloads, extra content and increased difficulty.

I have different saved characters for the mood I'm in. I have a level 288 chick in Skyrim that only uses her fists and a bow. In Fallout New Vegas, my dude only carries a custom 1911a1, and a M40a4. My tank in Fallout 4 wears X01 mk 6 power armor and caries a legendary gatling laser.

• Like 1

I play on hard. Played Battlefield Hardline 2 weeks ago on hard, and it was tedious at times. Probably because I was being stealthy for points.

• Like 1

A quadratic function can be written in vertex form:

f(x) = a( x-h )^2 + k          *^2 means squared*

The vertex form is helpful because it tells you the location of the vertex (h,k); (x,y)

• 3 months later...

Difficulty setting depends on the game, if options are available. I used to start all games on the hardest avaiable difficulty setting but since I got a "little" older I usually start on  the normal/medium difficulty. If it has a new game plus option I try to do as much as I can in a normal playthrough so I can have a more successfull hard difficulty playthrough. I always complete as many side quests as I can before progressing through the story until they are all completed, eg I still haven't finished The Witcher 3 because I'm still searching for the various different gear sets and as far as I know I've done every available side quest in the game and only failed a few optional objectives. I also try to collect every collectible item in the game. Obviously all of the above only applies to games that can hold my interest and if a game has too many bugs or annoying in game instances I'm not likely to even finish the story.

• 3 months later...

I would normally wait for games to come out and at least have an update released that fixes the usual bugs and or balance changes like weapons, health, strength and added features. I watch play through and 1st impression videos that determines if will purchase it now, on sale months down the line or not at all, also accounting for the back log games that I have in general or if it correlate to the same category but haven't played, or played much of.

I will automatically invert vertical settings. Set view to 1st person if I have the option (it doesn't play well in GTAO then again it was just a after thought for R* to include it). Auto saved will be on as long as I have save slots and can manually save anywhere during game play and not check points in a level. I play around with the sensitivity settings. Go to the hardest settings on every game except for driving and fighting games, seeing that I might not be skilled enough to catch up to the 1st driver, probably would need a steering wheel, shifter and pedal setup but unwilling to invest in or whether it being the enemy is throwing down combo hits that I cant match.

I explore everywhere, and look for all the collectable items, side missions are a must as long as it is not repetitive and lack luster. I try to find alternative or hidden locations to the point where I found a way recently in 2 games to run pass enemies undetected throughout 2/3 of a level and the entire level on the other one, in a next game a certain part of the game would not trigger because 'I did it my way.' I love causing mayhem and luring enemies in a trap and light them up, if there is no sniper, throwing knife or bow and arrow like alternative I might go stealth which I kinda hate generally. I normally set the console Online Status to Appear Offline.

I go for the trophies, if I enjoy a SP game I normally try to fulfill the trophy requirements not necessarily going the platinum trophy, I also go for in game achievements and unlocks. I will play through the Single Player campaign before going to online and even if I do its gonna be a rarity, SP must be played 1st.

Edited by Smurf
  • Like 1