Broken Sony Gold headset and how I fixed it.

I've sung the praises for the Sony Gold headset on this forum before and my opinion has not changed. They have always worked flawlessly for me. However I realized early on that while they look bulky and robust, in reality the plastic it thin and brittle and seems prone to breaking. Other users confirm this and I've read reports of them breaking. So I've always handled them very carefully like they were made of glass. They've never been dropped or tossed. Last Friday I got home early and the EU playlist was still going on so I joined and when I picked up the headset the head band cracked in half. I was careful to not put any stress on the wires that connect the left to right speakers. 

i-5W3dgRn-M.jpg

i-jDndzVP-M.jpg

i-3V2qvvk-M.jpg

My plan was to "splint" the band back together so first I looked for some scrap sheet plastic or metal. Found some brass sheet, trimmed it then formed it to the curve of the head band. To fix them I glued the crack with 5-minute, 2-part epoxy. Then coated the brass with epoxy and clamped it all to dry. It's 5-minute epoxy but I let it cure overnight. Finally I wrapped the whole thing with black electrical tape.

i-PQ9hJkX-M.jpg

i-BqFtjZQ-M.jpg

i-FmtDtht-M.jpg

i-GKhJgSC-M.jpg

i-QJmZcLr-M.jpg

i-J38P73T-M.jpg

I have a function headset again but it's pretty ghetto :lol: and I'm now waiting for the other side to crack.

i-cpQh2rN-M.jpg

Maybe next time I'll try Turtle Beach or ? Feel free to recommend.

Sorry for the jacked up formatting, It did not come out as I intended and I can't change it now. Just keep clicking "reveal hidden contents."

Edited by Beez
Formatting did not work as I intended but can't seem to edit
  • Like 8

It does look brittle, but what an amazing piece of hardware for the price it is. It totally changed my gaming experience (I don't have room for a proper surround system) and I simply can't play without it these days. The fake surround is very good. 

Plus it's so easy to use anywhere else, like your PC. My laptop has a pretty low maximum volume, so it's great to have that option. 

I went from turtle Beaches to the Sony ones which did the same thing to me that your did I fixed one side then they snapped in the middle after only having them for 6 months I switched back to turtle Beaches.  I can't say I notice a huge difference in sound or anything like that between the 2 but the construction of the turtle beaches are much more sturdy

I use the Sony Pulse Elite headset, mine broke a long time ago just above the ear piece on both sides, I used a heavy CA glue that I use on my rc airplanes, shit is strong as hell

great-planes-pro-ca-glue-2-oz-thick-gpmr

It's a nice patch you did @Beez, where mine is broke a fix like that won't work, but for where your break is you have the better fix than mine.

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

Headband is so thin and shit, not surprised they always break.

As True said - Turtle Beach have 100% better build quality. The Elite 800 has a metal headband.

I had thought of CA glue @Hatch at least for the crack. As you know that stuff works best when the gap is tight. All my CA is dried up and the epoxy is better at filling gaps. 

Thanks all for recommendations for more rugged headsets.

• 3 months later...

So Sunday just before Xyon's playlist the other side cracked. :( I figured it would happen again. I could not find the nice brass sheet I used on the first repair so I cut up a tin that a flea collar came in. Everything else was the same, 2-part epoxy glue, lots of clamps and then electrical tape to seal it all up. Still works fine but it is noticeably heavier now.

i-Nhcfr8c-L.jpg

i-S5jL6WK-L.jpg

i-K7RHwK2-L.jpg

Super ghetto!

Bought them end of Sept '14. First break was May '16. Like I said in a previous post I have always handled them very carefully because they seemed brittle and fragile, also no kids in the house. The electronics work great but the housing is shit.

PC Universal Glue is what I am planning to use when my Sony xb950bt eventually gets broken,

strongest thing I have seen out there.

""Update"" My Sony xb950bt broke after 6 months & I used baking soda & crazy glue instead because it was handy.

Edited by Smurf

Flea collar tin huh? Got that nice residue in it as well? New invention for kids @Beez, kill the bugs while playing games... 

• Like 1

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

It's a shame these are made so damn crappy......especially for those of us well endowed players. ;)

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!