Do you prefer standard or automatic?

JustHatched

Which do you like best, a standard or automatic shift car? Why? 

Optional - if you choose auto, can you drive a standard shift car?

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

i cant drive, i would like to be able to go places a lot easier than using public transport, because i don't like people but i'm too nervous to drive, and i might end up in prison for murder so its probably not a good idea lol

nicolabellamy77.png

Standard. Always. I like having more control over the vehicle. I generally drive Sports Sedans, so in that application, it's more about the fun factor. It also helps with fuel economy as Standard shift cars generally have a better gear for cruising. Although, most modern cars have come to the point of mating their powerplants to several speed, non-linear gearboxes. That usually means that that car will get superior fuel economy with the Auto box.

In a bigger truck, I'm torn. The Manual gives you lots of control. It also aids in Engine Braking. But an exhaust brake can manage that, and then the Auto is much easier to deal with in traffic.

So I guess it depends on the application. Both of my cars are Manual, while my wife's Familymobile is an Auto.

Dodgeservice.png

All depends really. For a daily driven car, family vehicle I prefer an auto because pushing a clutch all the time gets old.

A toy would be fun with a stick, because who doesn't like barking 2nd gear, 3rd is even better.

That said, I  have only owned 1 stick shift car. A 1992 Pontiac Trans Am. The stick was only available with the 305 though. I fixed that by building a non stock 350 for it. Man that car was fun and rare as hell. Shouldn't have sold it.

Auto isn't driving. Just turn the wheel like when you were a kid playing make believe with your daddy :P

Standard is much better. You can feel the car, what it wants and what it needs. Driving stick keeps you more focused on what you're doing and more aware of your environment. 

Driving requires concentration and you're not supposed to eat or read ( !!! ) as I've seen before. 

Also, stick is much much more fun !

I used to prefer standard, but since I started to loose the feeling in my feet I now have to drive an auto. I used to dislike auto, but now I think it's actually a much more relaxing way to drive and wouldn't want to go back. 

In the UK there are two different driving licences, if you take the test in an Automatic you're only allowed to drive them. Is it the same in the US? Do you have to show you can handle a proper gearbox before you can drive them legally?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

In the UK there are two different driving licences, if you take the test in an Automatic you're only allowed to drive them. Is it the same in the US? Do you have to show you can handle a proper gearbox before you can drive them legally?

I thought they just get handed a driving license at 16. Isn't it written in the constitution or something?

Definitely standard for me. I can see how an automatic could prove useful in the heavy stop and go traffic though, you can get cramps pushing/holding the clutch for hours in those kind of situations.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zmurko said:

I thought they just get handed a driving license at 16. Isn't it written in the constitution or something?

They only have to drive in a straight line then stop and turn around before coming back again. I'm surprised they still have steering wheels in the US :P

2 hours ago, Squirrel said:

Thank you sir, I didn't know that.

That's actually very smart and I approve this idea. Wish we had something like that in France but I believe almost all tests are done with manuals.

Manual for me. A friend of mine fail a couple times on manual then decided to go for Automatic license but she can't drive a manual gear box. ?

3 hours ago, Squirrel said:

It is not the same here. A DL is exactly that. You can drive any car in your weight class. That's our only restrictions. By weight of vehicle. Its gets more complicated at the high

2 hours ago, zmurko said:

It's pretty close to this. The driving qualifications are very lax. 

2 hours ago, Squirrel said:

They only have to drive in a straight line then stop and turn around before coming back again. I'm surprised they still have steering wheels in the US :P

Its getting close to not having them. Auto Nav is a real thing. And coming much faster than any of us are comfortable with. 

Dodgeservice.png

It totally depends on the vehicle and the usage.

My truck for towing race trailer..........auto. Diesel Turbo goes better with an auto.

Family car.........auto. Smoooooth!

Heads up drag racing...... auto with trans-brake . You can't build boost with a stick.

Bracket racing or index racing.....auto with trans-brake. Dead consistency is a must in launch, reaction time and ET.

Drag racing Stock cars.........stick! FUN.....DUH!

Sport, muscle, kit cars and off-road..........stick! FUN.....DUH!

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

3 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

Americans you may want to look away. During my upcoming European adventure I will be experiencing this road:

Hide contents

Transfagarasan.jpg

Bite me! : CRAZY :

Looks like fun...............if I'm not towing something.

• Like 1

Because Fat Buds Matter!

3 hours ago, Squirrel said:

I do believe we have the same thing here aswell.

My opinion is pretty close to Dodge's. Stick for fun cars and auto for my pickup. Current car is a manual and I've had several in the past, however if I had a traffic heavy commute I'd opt for an auto. I've done the manual commute in stop-n-go into Boston and in southern California and it suuuucks! BeezWife had an Audi A3 with a DSG trans and it was really cool with the paddle shifters but honestly we drove it in auto mode 90% of the time.

@Squirrel not afraid of stuff like that. We have Tail of the Dragon, Deal's Gap and tons of other ridiculously twisty roads on this side of the pond. It's not all arrow straight roads and interstate.

There's a new model Honda this year that I am considering trading my BMW for called the Africa Twin. It comes in 2 versions, manual and DSG and at first I thought it was no-brainer, get the manual but there was a press intro last week and reviews are rolling in. Serious riders are praising the DSG version and even say it works really good off-road. I can't imagine riding a motorcycle without a clutch lever but now I'm seriously wondering.

7 minutes ago, Beez said:

@Squirrel

I can't imagine riding a motorcycle without a clutch lever but now I'm seriously wondering.

Me either!

Because Fat Buds Matter!

Can drive both and agree with most people auto for regular driving which is what my truck is. But when driving to have fun need the manual

• Like 1