Assassins Creed Movie

Squirrel

Firstly here's the trailer:

Now thoughts. 

My first thought is that why has the Animus become this virtual reality device when in the game it was just based on memories. Your character didn't need to physically act out what he was doing in the past.

It looks like a brand new plot though as none of the console game titles has dealt with the Spanish Inquisition directly although it does match up with Ezio's time frame who had a small dealing with them in an iOS title. If Fassbender is indeed Ezio then I can see that being a crowd pleaser. 

Obviously very heavy on the CGI which doesn't look like it's up to the standard of some of the more recent blockbusters. One shot stood out as poor wire work.

Ultimately I think this film is going to struggle in the box office. It will mainly be hardcore Assassins Creed fans seeing it there and then there's the small matter of the competition in the cinema at the same time. Christmas is an expensive time of year. If you can only afford to see one movie around then which would it be? Assassins Creed or will you have already spent your money watching Star Wars: Rogue one the week before. I'm a huge AC fan but my money is definitely going on Star Wars. I'll wait for the HD copy to be available on the internet which will probably be in November knowing Ubisoft :D

• Like 2

I really can't wait for this movie! I'm not a hardcore AC fan but i'm a BIG fan of the series. The trailer looks pretty cool to me

Big AC fan here but Squirrel makes all the good points.

It will probably flop at the box office and critically. Opening one week after Star Wars... Very dumb move from Fox... They will be crushed.

Almost every movie based on a video game is crap unfortunately.

Now about the movie itself, the trailer looks cool ! Lots of it look like the games, except that weird Animus with the mechanical arm.

Fassbender's character isn't Ezio. In the present, he is Callum Lynch and in 15th century Spain he's Aguilar de Nehra.

I'm really happy it's not just a remake of one of the games and that they chose to tell another story set in the same universe. The nice touch is Jeremy Irons who plays Alan rikkin, the CEO of Abstergo ingame. Nice way to link game and movie.

Like you @Squirrel, I'll wait for an HD copy online to watch it. Rogue One will always come first. If the critics are good, I may go see it in the theater.

• Like 1

These kind of movies never do well, do they? Doubt this will be an exception though I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the trailer.

I'm also a big fan of the series and have been playing since the beginning though I still need to catch up on the games I missed while being on old gen. 

One of my brothers is an even bigger fan of AC, so I'm sure we will be going to the theater. 

Btw, it helps to see it without Kanye. A guy in the comments made a version with music from ACII by the great composer Jesper Kyd. So.. much.. fucking.. better.

Edit: Actually, this one is even better.

Edited by Banketelli
  • Like 1

All game inspired movies do terrible to decent at best at the box office. Just how it is. Everything from poor production values to a poor script to worse acting and character casting.

I mean that trailer isn't bad but I don't have high expectations for it. Being backed by Fox and Regency gives it a fighting chance though. That trailer music couldn't be .. well, more unfitting and I'm sure the score won't be that great.

Edited by G37

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

I think what will make or break this movie will be the quality of the Parkour. If it's all wirework and CGI then meh but if they do manage to get some genuine free running into the film then it could be worth watching. Obviously the last shot in the trailer of the swan dive is CGI but no other way of reproducing that classic AC moment

• Like 1

I've only played AC3 and only because it was set during the American Revolutionary War, something I am interested in. I loved the naval combat portion of the game the best. I hated all the Animus parts of the game and it took me out of the immersion of the historical part. I have no interest in the movie but I will pick up the AC Pirates game that came out for the PS4 when I find a copy used and cheap.

2 minutes ago, Beez said:

I have no interest in the movie but I will pick up the AC Pirates game that came out for the PS4 when I find a copy used and cheap.

Black Flag is really good but the cities are too small. 

My favorites were AC2, Brotherhood and Révélations. Best character and best settings.