Favorite Rollercoaster??

JustHatched

Put this in as a hobby cuz for some it is..

What is your fav rollercoaster, why, and where is it?

My fav is The Son of Beast at Kings Island in Ohio. I've rode a couple dozen coasters so not nearly as many as some but this one is a wooden coaster with a loop and it just beats the snot out of you, I love wooded coasters over steel just cuz they have the extra kick your ass feeling. 

• Like 1

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

I don't know if I can pick just one, lol. My favorite park is Busch Gardens. Cheetah Hunt is amazing. It's fast and I love the heartline roll in it as it's just enough to get you going. I'll have to revisit this thread in a few weeks once the 2 new rides open. Mako at SeaWorld and Cobras Curse at Busch Gardens. They both look great.

Hate to tell you but SoB was taken out of commission in the summer of 09. They had previously removed the loop in 07, I believe.  They tore it down later and opened Banshee in its spot in 2014.

As for favorite, that's a tough one. Theme parks are an obsession of mine and I've been on close to 50 of them over the years. Kings Island was our home Park for years and I loved Diamondback. It is a B&M Hyper (over 200 ft lift hill) that stands at 230ft. No loops on these rides because they are designed for speed and Air Time (weightlessness). Banshee is a B&Mark Inverted, the train is under the track and your feet hang free. It is an excellent ride.

I also love Manta and Kraken at Sea World Orlando. Both B&M rides, the former a Flyer and the latter a Floorless. Looking forward to Mako opening next month. It is a 200 foot tall Hyper.

As for a favorite, I have to go with Kumba at Busch Gardens Tampa. It is an old school sit down, steel, B&M. 7 inversion and is very fast. I can't ride it enough.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sinister said:

Hate to tell you but SoB was taken out of commission in the summer of 09. They had previously removed the loop in 07, I believe.  They tore it down later and opened Banshee in its spot in 2014.

As for favorite, that's a tough one. Theme parks are an obsession of mine and I've been on close to 50 of them over the years. Kings Island was our home Park for years and I loved Diamondback. It is a B&M Hyper (over 200 ft lift hill) that stands at 230ft. No loops on these rides because they are designed for speed and Air Time (weightlessness). Banshee is a B&Mark Inverted, the train is under the track and your feet hang free. It is an excellent ride.

I also love Manta and Kraken at Sea World Orlando. Both B&M rides, the former a Flyer and the latter a Floorless. Looking forward to Mako opening next month. It is a 200 foot tall Hyper.

As for a favorite, I have to go with Kumba at Busch Gardens Tampa. It is an old school sit down, steel, B&M. 7 inversion and is very fast. I can't ride it enough.

Shows how long it's been since I have been there, I was probably last at Kings Island in 05/06, I have been there 12 or 13 times but just haven't had time or funding to go again though we keep talking about it.

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

We will be going to KI while we are visiting KY. Will be my first trip in nearly 2 years. Thinking about visiting Kentucky Kingdom since that will get me a few new credits. I'm a Coaster nut and feel sorry for people that are scared of them ;) My favorite part is seeing Women riding alone, always puts a smile on my face when I see them walking out the exit and towards her "Bag Bitch". That would be the man in her life that she left at the entrance, holding her Purse :)

As for SoB, it was doomed from the start. It was built out of substandard materials and had a design that just would not work. It was literally tearing itself apart. There was an accident on it in 06 that put several folks on the Hospital. They removed the loop after that and installed lighter trains but it was no use. A Woman claimed to suffer a head injury in 09 and the ride was closed.

Edited by SINISTER120

Haven't been on any coasters outside of the UK, but I've been on most of the better ones here.

The Smiler at Alton Towers is my favourite, has the most inversions in the world (14), 4.5G and leaves riders feeling quite dizzy afterwards.

I wouldn't go on it again since two women lost their legs, surprised to see it re-opened to be honest.

I don't think any of our coasters exceed 85 MPH, people in the US have a massive choice of coasters of all varieties.

Batman - Six Flags, St Louis

Batman: The Ride is a steel inverted roller coaster found in Six Flags theme parks. Built by consulting engineers Bolliger & Mabillard, it rises to a height of between 100 and 105 feet (30 and 32 m) and reaches top speeds of 50 miles per hour (80 km/h). The original roller coaster at Six Flags Great America was partially devised by the park's general manager Jim Wintrode. Batman: The Ride was the world's first inverted roller coaster when it opened in 1992,[5] and has since been awarded Coaster Landmarkstatus by the American Coaster Enthusiasts. Its decorative theme is based on the first Batman film. Clones of the ride exist atamusement parks around the world.

• Like 2

Dodgeservice.png

Also Mr. Freeze

Mr. Freeze: Reverse Blast (previously known as Mr. Freeze) is a steel, launched, shuttle roller coaster located at Six Flags Over Texas in Arlington, Texas and Six Flags St. Louis in Eureka, Missouri. The two rides, mirror images of each other, were inspired by Mr. Freeze, one of Batman's arch-enemies, and use linear induction motor (LIM) launch systems to accelerate riders from 0–70 mph (0–113 km/h) in 3.8 seconds.

• Like 1

Dodgeservice.png

6 hours ago, DavidCore89 said:

Haven't been on any coasters outside of the UK, but I've been on most of the better ones here.

The Smiler at Alton Towers is my favourite, has the most inversions in the world (14), 4.5G and leaves riders feeling quite dizzy afterwards.

I wouldn't go on it again since two women lost their legs, surprised to see it re-opened to be honest.

I don't think any of our coasters exceed 85 MPH, people in the US have a massive choice of coasters of all varieties.

The Smiler is safe, what happened was down to human error and you know there will be no way they will let anything like that happen again, that mistake not only ruined a lot of lives but cost the company millions in lost revenue. Alton Towers is still the best park in the UK but it is very high on the media hate list, any faults with any coaster there which weren't newsworthy before are newsworthy now. One of the coasters broke down last week and was all over the news. 

I've not been since the Smiler was put in but I'd happily ride it. The one ride that really terrifies me is Oblivion. That vertical drop for someone with an extreme fear of heights is nerve shattering. I still ride it though but you won't get me in the cable cars!

I think i'd go for The Black Mamba in phantasialand in germany. I love coasters where your legs are just dangling in the air

• Like 1

I've only been on the Cyclone on Coney Island and it was a pretty unpleasant experience, especially since I had a backpack on and was slightly leaning forward because of it, had a feeling I was gonna fall out of it during an entire ride.

Don't think I'll be going on any rollecoaster again, not my thing.

I don't like heights and there was a time I would never go on one at all. We used to go on school trips to Alton Towers back in the days when the Corkscrew was new and I wouldn't go on anything more scary than a log flume. I did go back a few years ago for a stag-do and finally tried the Corkscrew and enjoyed it. But there is still no way you will ever get me on some of the newer ones where your legs are dangling in the air or that stop at really high points. The one in-game is about the right for me.

I was always scared of rollercoasters until my son road one in 2010. There was no way I could let my child continue to do something that I was scared of. So, I had to give into my fear. I did and I love them. Now I need to go back to all the parks we went to before that I walked around and did nothing. In 2009 I took the kids to Disney with my parents and road nothing. My dad rode all the coasters with my brother and his wife. I missed out on that and now will not get the chance as he can't ride them now :( 

I will give just about any one a try. The only ones I have yet to conquer are the ones where you are face down. I will get there someday :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Squirrel said:

The Smiler is safe, what happened was down to human error and you know there will be no way they will let anything like that happen again, that mistake not only ruined a lot of lives but cost the company millions in lost revenue. Alton Towers is still the best park in the UK but it is very high on the media hate list, any faults with any coaster there which weren't newsworthy before are newsworthy now. One of the coasters broke down last week and was all over the news. 

I've not been since the Smiler was put in but I'd happily ride it. The one ride that really terrifies me is Oblivion. That vertical drop for someone with an extreme fear of heights is nerve shattering. I still ride it though but you won't get me in the cable cars!

That incident was the most recent, there were quite a few less serious things before that as well, just technical stuff, but that could lead to another mess in the future. It actually broke down on launch day with celebrities present IIRC.

Of course they will work harder to ensure that it's safe, but human error can strike at any time, when I ride a coaster I like to be sure that my legs will remain intact at all times :D.

Totally agree about it being the best park in the UK, awesome rides, but not for the faint-hearted!

I guess my fav existing roller coaster (though it doesn't compare to Son of Beast) The Voyage at Holiday world. Another wooden coaster, fast. The one's @Dodge said are quite fun as well, I prefer Freeze over Batman though.

You like em rough as hell don't ya? The Voyage is fun when they are on top of its maintenance. When they slack on it though, it is nothing but a head ache machine. They neutered the best part, the triple down, a few seasons back :(

Holiday World does indeed have some fine Wooden rides. They installed their first major Steel Coaster last season, a launched Wing Coaster.

3 hours ago, Sinister said:

You like em rough as hell don't ya? The Voyage is fun when they are on top of its maintenance. When they slack on it though, it is nothing but a head ache machine. They neutered the best part, the triple down, a few seasons back :(

Holiday World does indeed have some fine Wooden rides. They installed their first major Steel Coaster last season, a launched Wing Coaster.

When we was there the launcher was broke and we didn't get to ride it. All but the youngest of my kids got their first coaster ride on The Raven at Holiday World (youngest is still to small). 

And yes, I do like em rough as hell..

Screaming Eagle as Six Flags St, Louis is another rough but fun old coaster.