Tool talk

JustHatched

I bought a new screw gun the other day and was wondering what brand of tools you like to use. Doesn't matter if it is hand or power, construction or auto

The screw gun I bought is a 20 volt DeWalt, most of my current power tools are either DeWalt or Milwaukee with a few Craftsman.  I think the Milwaukee power tools a far superior in quality than just about anything made, these are made to be out on the construction job all day everyday, built like a tank but also weigh as much as a tank. DeWalt is decent, fairly comfy on the hands and are sold just about anywhere. 

Hand tools wise for auto I have shit loads of Craftsman, I know they arent the best made tools ever, but the it handy if one breaks you can just go the Sears and swap it for a new one no questions asked. I have a few Snap On and Kobalt tools, Snap On costs to damn much and Kobalt seems ok, I think it as the same trade in if breaks as Craftsman.

So what do you use?

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

I have primarily Craftsman,  and Kobalt hand tools. Power, it's a mix between Makita, Milwaukee, Black n Decker. Anything I need on a Professional level would be Matco. 

Dodgeservice.png

Husky or kobalt for price(if stolen)/warranty(I break things).

Ryobi power on a job site, in case of theft.

Half my tools are ridgid.

My opinion on quality would be Hilti & Milwaukee, then everything else, then ryobi/skil/b&d. I prefer Makita for mid range overall.

1 minute ago, Jjss924 said:

Husky or kobalt for price(if stolen)/warranty(I break things).

Ryobi power on a job site, in case of theft.

Half my tools are ridgid.

My opinion on quality would be Hilti & Milwaukee, then everything else, then ryobi/skil/b&d. I prefer Makita for mid range overall.

Skil sure isn't what it use to be, I have 2 old Skil circular saws, all aluminum case with heavy duty brushes bearings. I have replaced the brushes and bearing a few times in the last 20 years when I was building all the time and as long as I can continue to get replacements (I don't use them enough anymore to wear them out) they should last longer than I do.

• Like 1

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

I'm a journeyman millwright, I use my tools every day. For hand tools I use MAC, snap on is wayyy too expensive. As for power tools I use Ridgid 18v x4 series. They really hold up well to industrial settings.

This pic should say enough.....

1390105602637.jpg

KRL1023 with stainless top. It is full of the Snap On tools that I like. Sockets, Ratchets, Pliers, Screwdrivers, etc. If you are familiar with the brand you know that I have a LOT of money invested in tools. Some folks have cars that cost less than that box, lol.  I will not use any other Impact Socket. Oddly enough I cannot justify buying their expensive assed wrenches, even though they are nice. For those I use Craftsman and Gear Wrench. Though I stopped buying Craftsman when they decided to have all their tools made in China. I have a Matco branded generic Creeper and Adjustable wrench also have a single MAC Wrench.

When I got my first real mechanic job after the Army I had an excellent Snap ON dealer and his service and selection got me hooked. My next job introduced me to another excellent rep. We also had Cornwell dealers but their tools are abysmal and the dealer was an idiot that never had shit in stock. He BS'd me for a month about a Torque Wrench. A MATCO guy showed up later but he was the same. Nothing in stock and an idiot.

Moved to FL and our area is serviced by a worthless Snap On rep and a useless MATCO one as well. A mile from work is a Northern Tool store and I use them to get most things. Thankfully I already have most everything that I need already. Can use the Snap On dealer for warranty, hopefully. One reason I'm going to KY is to buy some things I could not get my local dealer to get in for me.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Sinister said:

This pic should say enough.....

1390105602637.jpg

KRL1023 with stainless top. It is full of the Snap On tools that I like. Sockets, Ratchets, Pliers, Screwdrivers, etc. If you are familiar with the brand you know that I have a LOT of money invested in tools. Some folks have cars that cost less than that box, lol.  I will not use any other Impact Socket. Oddly enough I cannot justify buying their expensive assed wrenches, even though they are nice. For those I use Craftsman and Gear Wrench. Though I stopped buying Craftsman when they decided to have all their tools made in China. I have a Matco branded generic Creeper and Adjustable wrench also have a single MAC Wrench.

When I got my first real mechanic job after the Army I had an excellent Snap ON dealer and his service and selection got me hooked. My next job introduced me to another excellent rep. We also had Cornwell dealers but their tools are abysmal and the dealer was an idiot that never had shit in stock. He BS'd me for a month about a Torque Wrench. A MATCO guy showed up later but he was the same. Nothing in stock and an idiot.

Moved to FL and our area is serviced by a worthless Snap On rep and a useless MATCO one as well. A mile from work is a Northern Tool store and I use them to get most things. Thankfully I already have most everything that I need already. Can use the Snap On dealer for warranty, hopefully. One reason I'm going to KY is to buy some things I could not get my local dealer to get in for me.

Now that's a Tech right there. I'm a Service Advisor. My tool is a Pilot G2 - Blue. :lol: Sinister will get it.

• Like 1

Dodgeservice.png

Lol. I have some of those as well.

The shop I am at now has way more Techs than I have ever had to work with so they don't provide anything other than the super expensive tools. Engine specific stuff, laptops and computer software among other things. Had to get my own 3/4 and 1 inch impact guns. Sockets, etc. That stuff gets expensive fast. Only air tools I buy are IR products.

• Like 1

My shop doesn't provide any tools. We provide computers and lifts.  Also any Miller Special Tools needed. But anything that goes in the techs box, is his responsibility. 

Dodgeservice.png

5 minutes ago, Sinister said:

The shop I am at now has way more Techs than I have ever had to work with so they don't provide anything other than the super expensive tools. Engine specific stuff, laptops and computer software among other things. Had to get my own 3/4 and 1 inch impact guns. Sockets, etc. That stuff gets expensive fast. Only air tools I buy are IR products.

When I was a supervisor for Alamo mowers I had an IR rep come in and show me what made IR better than anything else, those Impacts they have can take a pounding before it quits even if you don't take care of it, I stocked the whole factory with their stuff. The financial dept about had a stroke when they got the bill but in the end were happy when repair costs dropped due to the tools lasting much longer. Thjat rep wasn't bad on the eyes either, she could have sold me just about anything.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dodge said:

My shop doesn't provide any tools. We provide computers and lifts.  Also any Miller Special Tools needed. But anything that goes in the techs box, is his responsibility. 

The engines I work on require lots of very expensive, specialty tools. A Rear Main Seal installer alone can cost as much as $700 and they are all different for each engine. CAT, Detroit, Mack, Cummins, International, etc. After that there are the many different engines by each manufacturer and rarely are two engines the same. Factor in Liner pullers, installers, gear tools, cam bearing tools, etc and you are in the tens of thousands if not more. No job out there pays enough to buy that stuff.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hatch said:

When I was a supervisor for Alamo mowers I had an IR rep come in and show me what made IR better than anything else, those Impacts they have can take a pounding before it quits even if you don't take care of it, I stocked the whole factory with their stuff. The financial dept about had a stroke when they got the bill but in the end were happy when repair costs dropped due to the tools lasting much longer. Thjat rep wasn't bad on the eyes either, she could have sold me just about anything.

I have had my 1/2 IR Titanium for over a decade and it's still going strong. Replaced the anvil a few years back and the trigger cartridge due to a split o-ring. Combine it with a heavy socket and nothing else can touch it. 

I have a Snap On 3/8th that never let's me down either.

On 5/7/2016 at 9:17 PM, Sinister said:

Damn!  A 1 inch impact! I have a Snapon 1/2 in that will whack you hard if not careful. Working heavy line, I can see why you need that. I have Snapon, Matco and some Cornwell.

Yeah Cornwell .........I only have some because I worked on, actually completely redesigned a stupidly built single turbo system,  a Western Cornwell distributor's 08 Mustang. The guy thought his "custom" turbo system for his car was the "baddest" thing in the nation. I could use his car as my thesis for my Master degree with the things they got wrong! LOL!

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

I only have one tool which I use for all jobs...

mash_hammer.jpg

On a serious note I don't even own a hammer however I do have a full range of little screwdrivers and other tools for PC & audio system maintenance plus all the tools needed to fix a bike. If anything mechanical breaks I'm not the guy you call!

• Like 1

I have a retired father-in-law that likes doing DIY and lives not far away. They are very easy to operate. I simply mention to my wife I am thinking about getting that door / window / shelf etc fixed at the weekend. She drops this into conversation with her dad. He thinks to himself "I'm not letting my son-in-law attempt that, he probably doesn't even know which way round you hold a hammer". I come home from work a couple of days later to find he's got bored at home so come round and fixed the door / window / shelf.

• Like 1

@djw180 I find that those kind of tools are the best kind. None of this hassle of knowing which bit goes where and the only fuel they need is the occasional cup of tea.