So what if you kill someone in your home?

HoTWiiReD

16 hours ago, zztop911 said:

Home defense and trap don't mix well. I had the perfect home defense shotgun at one time. That is until Lloyd Benson misclassified it as a Class3 weapon!

4278010378_a50b3f2327.jpg

Damn! I take it you don't have problems with trespassers  

I would use my shotguns for self defence if they weren't so goddamn loud. 

In my state it's illegal to use weapons for self defence, even just simply pointing the gun at someone will get you jail time. What I find absolutely ridiculous (this was said by a police officer), is that if someone enters your property - and threatens you/your family you are only allowed to use "reasonable force" to get away from that individual, and if you use excessive force and cause irreversible damage, you have to compensate them for the damages caused. Fuck that. 

Though if someone entered my property and threatened those I love, or myself - I would not hesitate to make them permanently disappear. 

1 hour ago, HoTWiiReD said:

In my state it's illegal to use weapons for self defence, even just simply pointing the gun at someone will get you jail time. What I find absolutely ridiculous (this was said by a police officer), is that if someone enters your property - and threatens you/your family you are only allowed to use "reasonable force" to get away from that individual, and if you use excessive force and cause irreversible damage, you have to compensate them for the damages caused. Fuck that. 

Though if someone entered my property and threatened those I love, or myself - I would not hesitate to make them permanently disappear. 

Once a burglar here got killed by the owner of the house, you know what they said in court? Own fault, its the risk of the job you're doing :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ninja said:

Once a burglar here got killed by the owner of the house, you know what they said in court? Own fault, its the risk of the job you're doing :)

When that happens here in France, it's at least 5 years behind bars !

47 minutes ago, Fido_le_muet said:

When that happens here in France, it's at least 5 years behind bars !

Yeah normally you'll go to jail here aswell but that guy had a good people in court i guess haha

• Like 1

I split this into it's own topic since it was straying from the intended disucssion

Anyway, in the USA the penalty for shooting someone you catch in your house varies by state. Here in Illinois if someone breaks into your house and you shoot and wound them you may or may not be criminally liable depending on the circumstance, but you can be sued by them for "hurting" them. But you can kill them cuz "dead man can't tell no stories", so pretty much shoot to kill, not wound. 

@zztop911 (I think you are in Texas), can you confirm that in Texas just getting car jacked you have the legal right to kill the car jacker? Seems to me I remember them passing that law a few years ago?

• Like 2

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

8 minutes ago, Hatch said:

I split this into it's own topic since it was straying from the intended disucssion

Anyway, in the USA the penalty for shooting someone you catch in your house varies by state. Here in Illinois if someone breaks into your house and you shoot and wound them you may or may not be criminally liable depending on the circumstance, but you can be sued by them for "hurting" them. But you can kill them cuz "dead man can't tell no stories", so pretty much shoot to kill, not wound. 

@zztop911 (I think you are in Texas), can you confirm that in Texas just getting car jacked you have the legal right to kill the car jacker? Seems to me I remember them passing that law a few years ago?

Some of the weapon licenses in certain states are downright .. scary. Especially when it comes to conceal and carry .. or lack there of on concealing.

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

2 minutes ago, G37 said:

Some of the weapon licenses in certain states are downright .. scary. Especially when it comes to conceal and carry .. or lack there of on concealing.

Utah concealed license is the most lax and is the one most states use, Illinois is pretty strict to the point of you really can't carry except in your car, pointless... And if it isn't 100% concealed then you in trouble

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

On our way to Florida we stopped in to eat at a Ruby Tuesday's in Wytheville Va. I was sitting enjoying my burger (yes I really love burgers) and in walks a guy beside me and strapped to his thigh was a glock 9mm I was blown away lol. Is Canadians aren't allowed to carry weapons like that. Then in walks in 2 more guys and I started to notice ALOT of people in the States carry.

10 hours ago, Hatch said:

It's very complicated on what can happen when you use deadly force. In MOST pure car jacking situations, you would either not get charged or "No Billed" by a grand jury. This is why all CC/now OC license holders must know all the laws and their responsibilities.

Other circumstances are far more easy to make a  call. Deadly force used in defense of your home almost always goes in the home owners favor. Stupid legislature did reduce the amount of class hours required  to obtain a license to carry. Some people that hold classes still adhere to the longer hours and some still exceed the old requirements.

Generally, you will not be charged or no billed on deadly incidents that occur anywhere on your property at night.

It's NOT the Wild West here as some may people think, but we do KEEP more RIGHTS to defend ourselves than the residents in other states like New Jersey and the such!

Edited by zztop911

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

On 4/29/2016 at 2:29 AM, HoTWiiReD said:

Well, I did have a group of idiots trespassed on my farm late on night when my uncle and I were coyote hunting. I could have legally killed everyone of them in the car.

When the deputies arrived at my home, I had all of them zipp tied and laying face down on the ground. They were very cooperative when they seen that they faced two veterans armed with assault weapons with taped 20 rounders! LOL! I talked mad chit to them once my uncle had them secured. The deputies found weapons and drugs in the car with two of them having active warrants and I think all were ex-felons. I t doesn't pay to be stupid in Texas!

Although I wasn't afraid of what they might do in retribution, I did carry while on my farm for a bit.

• Like 1

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

In England and Wales we have the right to protect ourselves, other people, and property but must only use reasonable force to do so. The reasonableness of someone's actions is decided subjectively - every case is different and based on the specific circumstances. This allows some leeway for being hot headed in the heat of the moment and being unable to make completely rationale decisions about the reasonableness of your actions. If, for example, you return home to find someone has broken into your house and is raping your wife it's accepted you'll lose your shit. This was historically a defence for manslaughter so it was considered acceptable to kill in this situation, but not any more. 

Obviously there is a very high threshold required for killing someone to be considered reasonable force. If the threshold is not met you'll likely be convicted of manslaughter which carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment, which often equates to 15 years behind bars. Ridiculous, I know. 

Unlike some countries (I believe France and others) we don't have a 'duty of rescue' to help injured people. So theoretically you can knock someone out (if reasonable force!), drag then outside and just leave them in a heap on the pavement. There is no requirement to call paramedics for them. Indeed, you can walk past a child face down in a pond and just leave them there without any legal repercussions. 

We do, however, have a duty to protect others from foreseeable harm, based on our acts or omissions, under civil law. Therefore homeowners or tenants can be sued if people are injured on their property. A common tactic previously used to repel burglars was to cement shards of glass to the top of perimeter walls. This has lost popularity since people were injured and successfully sued for damages. The rationale for this is that some people may need to access the property legimately. It's highlighted by this folklore tale perfectly:

An old lady feared being burgled so much that she dug a deep trench outside her window and covered it up. She lived on her own and one day collapsed in her front room. The postman saw her and phoned for a paramedic. The paramedic decided to smash through the window to gain access to the house but fell down the hole and broke his leg! Moral of the story - don't make provisions to injure people on your property as they might need to help you! Traps can't discriminate between good and bad. 

I'd only planned to write a couple of sentances but got a bit carried away :lol:

Edited by silenttigercd
  • Like 1