Buying a new gun, not sure which

JustHatched

I use to shoot competition trap, and I am wanting to again except I no longer have the gun I used for trap shooting. SO I have to get a new one, and I wouldn't buy one like I had, although I did well with it it really wasn't designed to be used as much as I was using it plus I have more knowledge of other trap guns than I had then

Choice #1 is the Remington 1100 Trap, it is a semi auto (won't ever need a 2nd shot as I don't shoot doubles), adjustable comb and buttplate. Close to what I had (11-87) but better built, I have used Remingtons all my life and have never had an issue with them.

Model%201100%20Competition_82821_0.png?i

Choice #2 is the Browning BT99, these are pretty pricey but are a well balanced single shot, I have shot one of these a few times and couldn't miss with it, but then when using one all the time I'm sure I would. It does not come with any stock adjustments but I could spend some extra to have it done, it does have a taller rib than the Remington which helps sighting the birds.

W01179_W01137_BT99_Conventional.jpg

Choice #3 is the Winchester Model 12 - no longer made they aren't to hard to find and probably one of the best built pump guns ever. Getting one won't be cheap in any way plus having it modified for my purpose if it hasn't been already. The upside is the model 12 holds its value like gold so getting my money back out of it should I choose to wouldn't be to hard.

12219498_1.jpg?v=8CED985A5E03270

SO if you know guns, which would you get?

• Like 2

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

I shoot trap competitively too, in the AA grade. 

I have quite a few shotguns but mainly Beretta (682 Gold E, and 682 are the ones I have used the most, personally dislike the DT11) and Miroku, no semi-automatics unfortunately (Australian gun laws), though I have shot a few.  

The main gun I use for trapshooting is my Beretta 682, with an adjustable comb and high rib.  Nearly a 30 year old gun and only had it serviced for the first time two years ago. Purely to replace the firing pins - which were not even faulty.. 

I would personally pick the Remington 1100 Trap, due to being able to adjust the comb and buttplate. I never buy a shotgun unless I can adjust it to the way I shoot. However, the Winchester stock looks absolutely gorgeous, and if you can get a return on it if you decide to sell it, it would be an excellent choice. If it were adjustable (that can be changed for a couple hundred dollars, :lol:) it would've been my first choice. 

Edited by HoTWiiReD

6 hours ago, HoTWiiReD said:

I shoot trap competitively too, in the AA grade. 

I have quite a few shotguns but mainly Beretta (682 Gold E, and 682 are the ones I have used the most, personally dislike the DT11) and Miroku, no semi-automatics unfortunately (Australian gun laws), though I have shot a few.  

The main gun I use for trapshooting is my Beretta 682, with an adjustable comb and high rib.  Nearly a 30 year old gun and only had it serviced for the first time two years ago. Purely to replace the firing pins - which were not even faulty.. 

I would personally pick the Remington 1100 Trap, due to being able to adjust the comb and buttplate. I never buy a shotgun unless I can adjust it to the way I shoot. However, the Winchester stock looks absolutely gorgeous, and if you can get a return on it if you decide to sell it, it would be an excellent choice. If it were adjustable (that can be changed for a couple hundred dollars, :lol:) it would've been my first choice. 

I can the stocks modified to be adjustable, the perk of the Remington is it comes from the factory with it, probably can get the Browning from the factory that way as well with a bit more cash. Beretta 682 huh? Never shot a Beretta shotgun, only handguns and I'm sure the quality of the shotty is top notch. I may have to look into them. 

Do you shoot International trap, ATA, or does Aussie's have another type I do not know of?

4 hours ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

Guns are terrifying! I literally hope I never see one in person.

5 hours ago, Ninja said:

Damn you americans and your guns.

Bacon + beer + guns = MURICAAA!

I figured when I posted this that I would generate a few of these posts, I well understand other people here and in other parts of the world have a total different thought on guns as I do. I wish I could fix the worlds gun problems and the only thing I can say is that I am merely a sport shooter (I don't even hunt anymore) and the type of gun that these are I would be really amazed to see used in any kind of crime. Not that they cant kill, but you can buy 2 or 3 AK47's for the price of one of these and these only fire 1-6 shots (depending on which model) vs a 50 round clip. I've been to many trap shoots where there were literately 100's (maybe and 1,000) people carrying a shotgun, never had an issue, also been in some areas of Indianapolis and Chicago were I felt I should have been packing and constantly looking around for some gang banger who was ready to shoot me.

I am not trying to change you mind on them, there's no way I could do that and I know that, my mind would never be changed either. This is a thing were pro gun vs anti gun will have to agree to disagree. 

• Like 3

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

@Hatch i meant my post more in a fun way instead of an anti-gun way. Myself i absolutely love guns to use at a firing range and like you as a sport altough i haven't done it yet. 

• Like 1

I notice now my post seemed a bit rude so sorry for that.

And for instance guns here are only for use in a firing range and i think you can have 1 in a safe at home with the bullets separated from the gun, but its really easy to get weapons like an ak47, uzi etc.

So even though they were to forbid weapons completely you can always get them really easy without looking far

@Hatch, Beretta shotguns truly are top notch, in my opinion anyway. I've shot Beretta for many years now, and never encountered any issues or had any malfunctions. Not sure if it is the same in America, but Beretta has free lifetime servicing on their guns which is pretty neat!

Primarily DTL, I have shot Trench (international trap) with some of Australia's Olympic shooters, nowhere near as good as they are - but I'm not half bad at it. I absolutely love shooting DTL handicap though, about a year back went to a local comp that had 50tgt handicap and cleaned that along with a few others - we had to shoot off for 1st place on the 25M marker, got up to 150tgts before the last person dropped.. Got good money for winning that :lol:. Pretty sure the only discipline in Australia that I haven't tried is Helice/ZZ shooting. 

What discipline do you shoot? 

• Like 1

ATA for me http://www.shootata.com/

I have never shot International trap and never heard of DTL but I did just Google it. 

For ATA though my best average was 97% at 16 yards, pretty good against most people around here but went to the state and national shoots and got smoked by guys 100 years older than me. I tried shooting doubles a few times and just didn't feel right with it.

I've had variants of all those guns you posted and the Beretta. The Browning is a very nice option since you're just shooting singles. It's VERY well balanced. It worked very well for me stock.

I have absolutely fell in love with every Beretta I've ever owned, including the handguns. They are very pricey though. It just depends on your ability and at what level you want to compete at. If I were very serious at trap shooting today, I would get a Beretta DT11. My retired Marine friend has one and it's simply amazing, but silly pricey,.........you get what you pay for with Beretta .

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

If you have to opportunity to try International Trap it's definitely worth a shot purely for the experience - the targets are ridiculously quick though, if you don't see it when it first comes out of the trap it's pretty much a guaranteed loss. 

Thats fantastic! My average is about the same (same distance, 15m/16yards), but I use both barrels - although I don't tend to miss with my first shot, I really doubt I'd be able to get 97% with a single barrel haha (I'd say my single barrel average is about 23/25 - 24/25) Oh shit yeah, same thing here! Ive gotten my ass kicked by a few 80 year olds.. Swear their eyes are sharper than mine lol!

Nationals are ridiculously difficult here, all the Olympians come out to play (Shooters like Russel Mark and Michael Diamond).. Almost every year nationals shoot offs go past 1000 targets. 

1 minute ago, HoTWiiReD said:

If you have to opportunity to try International Trap it's definitely worth a shot purely for the experience - the targets are ridiculously quick though, if you don't see it when it first comes out of the trap it's pretty much a guaranteed loss. 

Thats fantastic! My average is about the same (same distance, 15m/16yards), but I use both barrels - although I don't tend to miss with my first shot, I really doubt I'd be able to get 97% with a single barrel haha (I'd say my single barrel average is about 23/25 - 24/25) Oh shit yeah, same thing here! Ive gotten my ass kicked by a few 80 year olds.. Swear their eyes are sharper than mine lol!

Nationals are ridiculously difficult here, all the Olympians come out to play (Shooters like Russel Mark and Michael Diamond).. Almost every year nationals shoot offs go past 1000 targets. 

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Because Fat Buds Matter!

@zztop911 I've shot a few stock DT11s and really didn't like them at all, I found the palm swell to be quite uncomfortable. 

However a mate of mine purchased a DT11 and had a custom stock done with a really nice pistol grip.. That was the only time I liked shooting a DT11 :P 

If I go to the Nationals again, (6hrs away from where I live D: ) I'll take a picture of the scoreboards, it's absolutely mental! 

• Like 1

Trap for fun. Non are suited for home defense, well the 1100 and Model 12 could be in a different configuration. I got a Beretta 9mm and S&W 38 Special for home, Rose has a Taurus 44 magnum 

3 minutes ago, Dodge said:

Are you shooting trap? Or is it for home defense? Or for fun?

Home defense and trap don't mix well. I had the perfect home defense shotgun at one time. That is until Lloyd Benson misclassified it as a Class3 weapon!

4278010378_a50b3f2327.jpg

• Like 1

Because Fat Buds Matter!

13 minutes ago, HoTWiiReD said:

@zztop911 I've shot a few stock DT11s and really didn't like them at all, I found the palm swell to be quite uncomfortable. 

However a mate of mine purchased a DT11 and had a custom stock done with a really nice pistol grip.. That was the only time I liked shooting a DT11 :P 

If I go to the Nationals again, (6hrs away from where I live D: ) I'll take a picture of the scoreboards, it's absolutely mental! 

I'd LOVE to see that in person!

I used to compete in combat pistol shoots. My Marine buddy would get pizzed at me because most times I would own him with my slightly modded 92F. :P

• Like 1

Because Fat Buds Matter!

I have no problem with guns and accept it is a highly skilled sport, I've just never seen one and would be apprehensive about being around them.  Not saying they should be destroyed :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Whiteford99 said:

So, what did you get?

I'm a Mossberg guy, so I would have suggested a 930.

Browning, I still haven't went shooting with it yet though.