Karting

DavidCore89

I was wondering if anyone here had done any karting and had any tips to share from experience.

I've done some solo driving in the past, but I'm gonna be doing a casual 45 minute race with 7 other guys on track in the next few weeks, so any tips or advice would be appreciated!

I've raced karts a few times. Really love it but I don't go to mo local kart track nearly as much as I would like to. It's hard to find people to come with me as it's a bit expensive.

I don't really have racing experience, all I've done is casual racing with a few friends. But everytime we were between 6 to 15 on track at the same time so it was fn trying to be the best. My goal was to beat my friends as others on track were much faster than me. Interesting cause you had to battle for your spot while the faster guys were overtaking.

I've taken part in a competitive meetup once. It was a company tournament of sort, so real racing with maybe 20 guys at the time for 30-40 minutes. It was a long time ago so don't really remember well. And it was one of my first karting experience.

All that to say that I don't really have advice for you DC :lol: Like in real racing, I feel faster when the kart isn't sliding but it's really hard cause these things are always sliding ^^

Will you be racing indoor or outdoor ? I'm not keen on indoor kart track, on super slick tarmac, all you do is fighting the wheel and it's not as much fun as real tarmac. Feels more like having fun than racing.

I should go karting in the next couple month so I'll keep you posted. Won't be any competition though.

Yeah, it's indoor.

I also found it quite slippery and the tyres didn't feel as though they became any more sticky, unlike real tarmac, so it didn't really suit my driving style, hence looking for tips :D

You definitely have more karting experience than me, but hopefully there will be at least 1 guy at my level of pace.

• Like 1

I've done it twice but my real-life driving is no better than it is in-game, so no tips I could give you. Both were indoor, one at Silverstone (so I can almost honestly  say I have driven at a F1 track). I do recall the track seeming quite slippy, but then again I don't have any outdoor experience to compare it with.

• Like 1

Done quite a bit of off road karting when I was a teen. I don't much of anything to offer for info as the ones my friends and I used were all homemade from whatever we could find to make them. Mine had a Yamaha 125cc engine and very questionable brakes. A buddy made his around a 750cc Kawasaki engine :P

• Like 1

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

I've done quite some indoor karting and i can handle it quite good now. Tip is to try and not use the brake much, which is 90% the reason why you start drifting.

It's like racing in game, you gotta find your entry speed at corners and play with your throttle for a bit.

Also a 'noobie' mistake is to go full throttle while you're still going around a corner because indoors mostly you'll end up racing backwards.

If you want to know anything more just ask :)

• Like 2

I don't have much experience, just a couple of times.

It's going to be like bumper cars sometimes so protect the inside line, inexperienced drivers will use you for a brake but it's better they hit your back than t-bone you which will push you sideways.

If the motors have a centrifical clutch, which they probably will, a technique is to keep the throttle pinned even when braking. Essentially you use the brake as the throttle. This is done because the tiny engines take too long to build RPMs so just never let off and control speed with the brake. 

• Like 2

On 20/04/2016 at 0:38 PM, Ninja said:

Tip is to try and not use the brake much, which is 90% the reason why you start drifting.

1 hour ago, Beez said:

It's going to be like bumper cars sometimes so protect the inside line, inexperienced drivers will use you for a brake but it's better they hit your back than t-bone you which will push you sideways.

I can confirm both of these statements.

Braking will definitely make you spin. I believe it's probably even worse indoor than outdoor.

Beez also has a very important point. You need to forget about classic racing lines. It doesn't work like that with karting. You need to be protective of your position. Always close the inside.

The bumper car part is definitely unavoidable. ^^

• Like 1

yeah, my experience of karting ( done it 5-6 times) was that the people that do it often, them ones that come zipping past you, they never use the brakes. Leave off the throttle going into the corner, come back out of it at full power ... protect your line, but don't turn so tight that you skid because that costs you most speed.

• Like 1

@DavidCore89, be sure to let us know how you did and/or how well you liked it.

• Like 1

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

On 4/25/2016 at 1:15 AM, Hatch said:

@DavidCore89, be sure to let us know how you did and/or how well you liked it.

Will do and thanks to all for the tips.

Gonna get an hour or so of practice in over this weekend, I managed to borrow a GoPro helmet camera as well to record some footage.

Edited by DavidCore89

3 minutes ago, DavidCore89 said:

Will do and thanks to all for the tips.

Gonna get an hour or so of practice in over this weekend, I managed to borrow a GoPro helmet camera as well to record some footage.

You uh...gonna post that footage to right??? 

1 minute ago, Hatch said:

You uh...gonna post that footage to right??? 

Yeah, unless I crash and land shiny side down.

A few other people who do karting suggested to record footage and study it to look for ways to improve etc, so I'll give it a try.

Edited by DavidCore89

3 minutes ago, DavidCore89 said:

Yeah, unless I crash and land shiny side down.

A few other people who do karting suggested to record footage and study it to look for ways to improve etc, so I'll give it a try.

If you crash then you must post it :P