PS4 USB Music

So the PS4 can play music through USB via two apps, Media Player & USB Music Player from the online Playstation Store.

All you have to do is format your compatible usb drive to fat32 and create a folder named 'MUSIC' on the drive and

copy your music files and paste them in that folder, which is require for both apps and they both support the AAC & MP3 codec

and they both support M3U playlist.

If your usb drive is recognized but do not show the music files, make sure the 'MUSIC' folder is at the root of the usb drive or try to copy photos from you PS4 to usb drive and if the photo show up, use its location to store the music files instead.   

Pros and Cons

Media Player - It will boot you back into single player mode or game menu, depending on which the game, if you start the app while in an online gaming session it will suspend thr game until you go back & restart the online mode. Its has a favorite's option and can also play videos and view photos. 

USB Music Player - No favorites option for your listening please, but will start with no issues whether be it that you are playing online or not.

The app might diappear from menu screen if the audio files are not found, as it should be on the root of your usb drive in a folder named 'MUSIC.'

Edited by Smurf

Can't complain for free, but I struggle to play games and listen to music at the same time, it messes with my concentration.

While they suit the general music listener very easily, neither will support FLAC or WAV files and that's a deal breaker for me.

I don't have an issue with 320kbps MP3 as it's CD quality (won't accept any less than 320), but the vast majority of my stuff is WAV for DJ reasons.

I can see why they didn't add support for those formats, it's a games console, not a music system. Also FLAC and WAV files can be 65MB just for a 4 minute track and that's not exactly practical on devices with limited storage.

Great if you're an MP3 listener though.

Edited by DavidCore89

I was hoping for at minimum that one or the other would support Flac, I mean that to me is a no brainer, I am running at said 320kbps.

The sound gets a bit choppy at times, but I always figured that Sony botched up the codec when developing this console. Its the equivalent to buying a new premium Bluetooth headset that does not support APTX, its kinda frustrating but its Free.

Edited by Smurf