Laptop charger "exploded"

Just wondering if it's happened to anyone else.

Yestrerday I witnessed a loud bang (similar to when a lightbulb explodes), but couldn't figure out what exactly happened. Checked all the lights in the room, nothing, all outlets looked intact too, so after a while I just shrugged it off.

But today when lifting the laptop power supply off the ground, I've noticed a burn in the floor and where the cord from the outlet plugs into laptops power supply / charger, things look a bit burned too.

Now the funny thing is, it still works, not sure if 100% or if it's not working properly, but laptop is being charged. It also still smells when it's plugged in...

Should I be worried?

Wonder what exactly exploded and burned, since it still works. I'll try to get a picture up tonight as well, if there's any experts who can tell anything from it.

If it's a genuine charger, I'd get onto them and complain, that could've burned your house to the ground, or worse.

I'd be pissed and I'd have already let them know about it.

Edited by DavidCore89

Thanks!

It's not under warranty anymore, doubt I'd have any success getting anything from them, I believe it's 4-5 years old already.

Truth is, it's been plugged in and being used for almost 16h a day for the last 2-3 years :lol: , probably way over it's recommended hours of usage, same goes for the actual laptop. It's a miracle both still work to be honest.

I do however remember something about a certain HP chargers that have been "called back" (?), as there was something wrong with them and were in danger of catching a fire. IIRC I checked the model back then and it wasn't same as mine.

Guess I'll get a replacement soon. Until then, I'll have to remember to unplug it from the wall during night just in case. I don't think it'll last more than few days though, the smell is very suspicious when it's plugged in, as if something is still burning. 

Here's what it looks like now:

Msta2iS.jpg

fMQOasD.jpg

11 hours ago, Squirrel said:

Hatch's shop burned down due to a faulty laptop battery/charger. I'd get it looked at or replaced straight away.

This ^^^

Replace it, it's much easier than replacing everything the fire will take with it...

• Like 2

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

The live appears to have shorted to earth, I'm amazed that hasn't tripped out a breaker in your house, but it depends on your property wiring.

At the very least replace the 'clover leaf' mains cable and clean the charring from the pins on the adapter. If you're at all unsure stop using it now and replace the lot. You shouldn't really use it how it is now as the mains insulation looks pretty melted where it plugs in to the adapter. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
55 minutes ago, zmurko said:

Well, it lasted almost 4 months with no further issues, but it happened again this morning and I've seen it explode again and go into flames. It left a nasty burnt mark in the hardwood floor. :(

Now it's really time to replace it.

Safety first !

This is a constant issue here where in Jamaica the voltage standard is 110v at 50hz compared to the US standard 120v at 60hz, relevant to us here only, because that's where we import a majority of our appliances from, so we have look to see 50/60hz specifically on the appliance. If the voltage and the cycle are wrong for your country then its a hazard right from the start, the operating temperature and current will not be accurate. It could just simply be a case of it reaching its shelf life, keep it for evidence or toss it, probably best not to use it.

Edited by Smurf

Get a proper HP replacement even if it's a used one. The cheap Chinese copy supplies gave a tendency to fail quickly or go off bang (I learned this when one I was using went pop and I nearly sh@t myself) :lol: