My home.

shortround

5 minutes ago, LN-MLB said:

Wow, it looks incredible there!  Seems very peaceful and serene. :)

Incredible, peaceful and serene... Just 3 words that aren't often associated with Wales :D

However, the valleys are very nice to look at, but maybe not so nice to live there and be in the middle of nowhere with a 10 mile drive to the nearest shop!

Edited by DavidCore89

1 minute ago, DavidCore89 said:

Incredible, peaceful and serene... Just 3 words that aren't often associated with Wales :D

However, the valleys are very nice to look at, but maybe not so nice to live there and be in the middle of nowhere with a 10 mile drive to the nearest shop!

Yeah, I've never lived that far away from the city, so that would definitely take a lot of getting used to.

13 minutes ago, LN-MLB said:

Yeah, I've never lived that far away from the city, so that would definitely take a lot of getting used to.

I've always lived in the city, but I also spent just under 2 years living in the Welsh valleys and it was horrible.

The village had 2 shops, 3 pubs, a butcher and a bus which shows up every 2 hours.

Most valleys in Wales are poor areas with almost no jobs in the immediate area, so the people are hit pretty hard by the poverty and often turn to heavy drugs, drink, crime or a combination of all three.

The pics in the OP are some of the very best places in Wales, while the less-than-nice places are riddled with ugly.

Edited by DavidCore89

42 minutes ago, DavidCore89 said:

I've always lived in the city, but I also spent just under 2 years living in the Welsh valleys and it was horrible.

The village had 2 shops, 3 pubs, a butcher and a bus which shows up every 2 hours.

Most valleys in Wales are poor areas with almost no jobs in the immediate area, so the people are hit pretty hard by the poverty and often turn to heavy drugs, drink, crime or a combination of all three.

The pics in the OP are some of the very best places in Wales, while the less-than-nice places are riddled with ugly.

Don't bring it down too much butt where i live, which is a place called Pentre which  literally means "Viillage" in english there used to be a MASSIVE problem with smackheads but it's all but gone now.  The place is a run down shithole. However i love it for the people, and getting away from the place on my mountain bike up on the hills is my getaway. Like views like this. Init butt. 

sRPpWE0.jpg

Also there is a bus service which is every 10 minutes and a regular train service which runs every thirty minutes so i don't knoiw what the fuck you are taliking about "Dai" we also have Butchers, Clothes shops. (which are shit) Mcdonalds, KFC and a fucking Subways. So i have no clue what the fuck you are on about my friend...!!!

Edited by shortround

17 minutes ago, shortround said:

No offence like mate

Lol a Subway.

I've lived in the valleys long enough to know that it's not for me, 2 years is a long time when there's absolutely nothing going on and you're used to the city.

In future, please don't refer to me as your friend or Dai, if I wanted to be called Dai then I'd change my name.

In no place ever did there used to be a huge smackhead problem, the problems don't get better, they get worse.

You'll need to do much better to offend me.

I said nice things about the valleys because it's true, they look fantastic, but the communities aren't always upto that standard.

Each to their own I guess, but the defence wasn't exactly called for.

Edited by DavidCore89

Sorry David, always wondered where you stood on the whole "Dai" thing. I never meant any offence but i do have to stick up for whee i live. For which i Love man. :)

6 minutes ago, shortround said:

Sorry David, always wondered where you stood on the whole "Dai" thing. I never meant any offence but i do have to stick up for whee i live. For which i Love man. :)

I totally understand, and I knew it was coming because I know how passionate people are about where they live, but the attitude was a bit >>>: FIRE : 

What I said about the valleys has no reflection on you as a person and I've also made some great friends there, but the people on hard drugs 24/7 and the drinking really made it hard for me to enjoy where I was (not far from Rhigos). 

Naturally, everything happens in the cities. New jobs, businesses and growth, but the valleys is left behind and that's kinda sad... But at least the beauty is left untouched for all to see.

Edited by DavidCore89

It's not just the Welsh villages. The English villages are just as bad. Where I lived for a time was an old mining community again the same situation of high young population with no jobs meant the inevitable slide into petty crime and hard drugs for a lot of the kids. It wasn't just the poor council estate kids turning to smack either, some of the middle class kids from more well off backgrounds also were involved in the scene as there just wasn't anything else to do. There was a solitary pub in the village, I was barred from there not longer after turning 18 for been underage, I had been drinking in there for about 2 years at least before that point. 

Village life is tough on the young. Totally different once you start enjoying a quieter pace of life though!

The pics are very nice, if that is the scenery you ya'll get to see over there then in that regard I can't say I feel bad for anyone over there.

I do have a question for you UK folks in general. @DavidCore89 brought up the differences in the city vs valleys and the job issues and all that brings with it. I don't know, maybe it's a matter of perspective of what one is use to but UK (not splitting it into Wales, England, etc..) isn't really large in terms of land mass so the distance to travel to go to work isn't in my mind a huge amount. In typing this I am thinking of what @ErnYoung was telling me during his visit at my house, he is from a small state and says the culture there is alot different than in Illinois so much that people from his state consider anything more than a 15 minute drive is considered long distance or something to that effect, so is it the same type of feeling in the Welsh (UK) county/ies

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

15 minutes ago, Hatch said:

The pics are very nice, if that is the scenery you ya'll get to see over there then in that regard I can't say I feel bad for anyone over there.

I do have a question for you UK folks in general. @DavidCore89 brought up the differences in the city vs valleys and the job issues and all that brings with it. I don't know, maybe it's a matter of perspective of what one is use to but UK (not splitting it into Wales, England, etc..) isn't really large in terms of land mass so the distance to travel to go to work isn't in my mind a huge amount. In typing this I am thinking of what @ErnYoung was telling me during his visit at my house, he is from a small state and says the culture there is alot different than in Illinois so much that people from his state consider anything more than a 15 minute drive is considered long distance or something to that effect, so is it the same type of feeling in the Welsh (UK) county/ies

I'm not sure, but the US is huge and you can probably drive for days without leaving the country. If I drive east for about 75 miles I'll be crossing the border from Wales into England.

From the most southerly point of the UK to the most northerly it's not even 650 miles, while there are several US states that are bigger, never mind the whole country!

If the UK was a US state, it'd rank only 12th in the list of largest states.

I know a few people who work in England and only come home to Wales from Friday to early Monday morning, I guess they consider it long distance and that's why they choose to not travel back and forth each day, staying in a hotel is cheaper than driving, especially with our fuel prices and the toll at the border.

Edited by DavidCore89

1 minute ago, DavidCore89 said:

I'm not sure, but the US is huge and you can probably drive for days without leaving the country. If I drive east for about 75 miles I'll be crossing the border from Wales into England.

From the most southerly point of the UK to the most northerly it's not even 650 miles, while there are several US states that are bigger, never mind the whole country!

If the UK was a US state, it'd rank only 12th in the list of largest states.

I know a few people who work in England and only come home to Wales from Friday to early Monday morning, I guess they consider it long distance and that's why they choose to not travel back and forth each day, staying in a hotel is cheaper than driving, especially with our fuel prices and the toll at the border.

I hadn't considered fuel price, I am fairly certain you guys pay shit loads more than we do.

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Border toll? I'm sorry but I find that almost offensive for you guys. Unless I am way off England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland pretty much fall under that same governing body from since way back in the olden days. To me it would be like paying to go visit the next state which I would say stick it up ur ass, I don't need to go there that bad...

1 minute ago, Hatch said:

Border toll? I'm sorry but I find that almost offensive for you guys. Unless I am way off England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland pretty much fall under that same governing body from since way back in the olden days. To me it would be like paying to go visit the next state which I would say stick it up ur ass, I don't need to go there that bad...

Lol that's exactly how people think of it, especially considering that the toll is only one-way.

However, Wales and England aren't the same country while all 52 states are a part of the US.

Fuel prices here are more than double what you'll pay in the US and one of the highest in the world. That's why the muscle cars never come here, take pretty much every fast Mustang that you guys get - we'd get the watered down 2.5 V6 with 300BHP compared to your 6.5 V8 with 550 BHP and that's because you'll need seriously deep pockets to run a car like that. The yearly tax would also hit pretty hard. 

4 minutes ago, DavidCore89 said:

Lol that's exactly how people think of it, especially considering that the toll is only one-way.

However, Wales and England aren't the same country while all 52 states are a part of the US.

Fuel prices here are more than double what you'll pay in the US and one of the highest in the world. That's why the muscle cars never come here, take pretty much every fast Mustang that you guys get - we'd get the watered down 2.5 V6 with 300BHP compared to your 6.5 V8 with 550 BHP and that's because you'll need seriously deep pockets to run a car like that. The yearly tax would also hit pretty hard. 

With those fuel costs I can see why what I consider a short distance can be a huge factor. Thanks @DavidCore89

26 minutes ago, Danielle said:

I didn't know there was a toll between England and Wales. There's nothing between Scotland and England.

Just on the Severn crossing, have to pay to get in to Wales but free coming out. 

Used to have to pay a toll on the old Forth Road Bridge near you Dani to get into Fife until it started falling down and then they stopped charging. Does the new bridge have a toll?

I think the £6.60 toll between England and Wales is run by the Severn Crossing itself, maybe to pay for the building and running of the bridge.

As much as I'd like my country to earn £6.60 per car and nearly £20 per coach, we don't actually see a penny of that :)

16 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

Just on the Severn crossing, have to pay to get in to Wales but free coming out. 

Used to have to pay a toll on the old Forth Road Bridge near you Dani to get into Fife until it started falling down and then they stopped charging. Does the new bridge have a toll?

Oh yeah, vaguely remember that when I was younger. Haven't had to pay to cross for years. I have no idea, don't get back to Scotland until Sunday and I don't think I'll be crossing the bridge anytime soon.