Run Up?

JustHatched

I should probably know what this is, and maybe I do without realizing it...but the racers in the crew mention run up off and on....what is it?

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

Only used when going for a quick lap time during a crew challenge or world record attempt etc.  Basically it's just a huge run up before the start of the next lap.

Instead of going through the last checkpoint to start a new lap, turn around and drive in the opposite direction as far as the track allows.  Then just simply floor it and build up as much speed as possible before you going through the last checkpoint.  Some tracks it doesn't help much, but it makes a huge difference on tracks with a slow final corner before the last checkpoint.

Obviously your previous lap time will be no good because you went back for a run up, so to get 5 "hot laps" done, you will need to complete 10 laps in total.  

It's the same technique Jesse uses to beat your air race records. :D

• Like 4

1 minute ago, no_snacks said:

Obviously your previous lap time will be no good because you went back for a run up, so to get 5 "hot laps" done, you will need to complete 10 laps in total.  

And that's exactly why I hate it. For me hot lapping is all about getting into the rhythm of the track and having to go off course before every lap completely ruins that.

• Like 3

I did not know that, thanks...

Not sure my feelings on it, I can see why do it, the ethics of it I guess are a matter of opinion and the circumstances.

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

26 minutes ago, Banketelli said:

And that's exactly why I hate it. For me hot lapping is all about getting into the rhythm of the track and having to go off course before every lap completely ruins that.

Same here.  I'll only do it if/when I need to get that last tenth of a second shaved off, or If I've already botched up the previous lap with a mistake, but yeah it definitely ruins your rhythm (and enjoyment) of hot lapping.  The trouble is, if anybody else is doing it, you need to do it too.

22 minutes ago, Hatch said:

I did not know that, thanks...

Not sure my feelings on it, I can see why do it, the ethics of it I guess are a matter of opinion and the circumstances.

Yeah, it's a bit like curb boosting/sidewalk surfing in that regard.  It's in the game and is available for everyone to use.  There's no right or wrong, just differing opinions on the matter.  Some people don't have a problem doing it, so it becomes a case of "If you can't beat them, join them".

Sounds kind of dumb to me personally. As Banks said it should be about a rhythm based upon consistency and amping the intensity up as much as possible with each new "lap". To me that sort of defeats the purpose of "grinding" something out. Sure, you can fuck up an attempt but just keep going with it and use that as momentum for the next one - don't get a top speed head start because that backtracking obviously has nothing to do with the route that you're setting lap times on to begin with.

But everyone plays a little differently I guess.

• Like 2

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

Same as curb boosting really, using the physics of the game to gain an advantage where possible. 

They do similar in F1 although not to the same extreme. Cars do take different lines into a 1st corner to gain more speed on a hot lap but what is more noticeable is how cars finish the lap. This is obvious at the Canadian GP, if the cars are doing another lap then they move over to the left to take the racing line for the 1st corner, if it's a qualifying lap then more often or not they maintain their forward trajectory to gain the extra fractions of a second on that lap.

• Like 1

Same as curb boosting IMO, probably even more discutable.

I've used it a few times during crew challenges but the subject came up before and I haven't done it since cause let's face it, it's cheating a little bit. Then again, if others are doing it...

I'm definitely doing it for the GTAF time trials though cause the others are 100% doing it.

I'd like for every track to have props to make it impossible to use run ups but it's unrealistic to think it can be done on every track.

And I don't see a way to enforce this other than request a video for every challenge we have. :(

Proper track design (placement of the start/finish line) eliminates any chance of a run-up. Not always possible, but that would be the best option. For example having a T-junction behind the start/finish line will mean you have to take that last corner no matter what, or after a turn on a country road.

I don't think I've ever used a run-up (except to show it's possible and help fix the XDBX test track), as I need to get into a good rhythm in order to be fast. Even in the GTAF time trial (despite gaining 0.3-0.5s from using it).

For crew challenges I am trying to make this not an issue by setting them as fixed number of laps rather than fastest lap if I think you could take a run up. So there should be no gain because it you did you'd be losing time on a lap that counts to your total time in order to get the next one faster. There may be times when I forget or don't realise a big run up is possible. I might just add a rule asking people not to do it.

• Like 2