Static IP and Port Fowarding on the PS4

zztop911

How many here have done with your router and have you seen improvement in connections and better P2P performance?

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

I haven't done it on the PS4, but it makes a fair difference on a PS3, and it should still be applicable to PS4.

In my case, the static IP was much more beneficial than the port forwarding. Whether that's true or not for you will depend on the security features of your router, though.

Here's a short list of things I've done, and the observed effect:

-Changed MTU (Router and PS3)

>1400 Unstable

>1450 High latency

>1472 Occasional disconnection

>1492 Rare timeouts

>1500 Occasional timeouts

-Changed DNS (Router and PS3)

>64.59.176.13 (SHAW) DNS lookup fails rarely (Read: Unstable)

>8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 (GOOGLE)  0 Lookup failures

-Static IP

>DHCP Reduced bandwidth/takes longer to sign in

>Static OK bandwidth

-Media prioritization (Bandwidth allocation) 

>Off Frequently hangs

>On Unaffected by network traffic

-Port Forwarding

>Without Normal 

>With 5223, 3478-3479, 3658, 6672, 61455-61458 No observed effect (Depends on router security)

*PS4 ports differ slighty

I'd went from not being able to connect and having players fly everywhere legitimately to being able to connect and having players fly everywhere illegitimately. Is it a plus? Well... Makes it easier to join jobs, at least. I have yet to be kicked out of anything due to connection loss, and I'm actually running wireless.

Mileage may vary. 

• Like 1

It doesn't always improve things.

I've played PlayStation games online for years and only R* say to forward ports or create a static IP (no point doing both).

A static IP is the best way to get NAT type 2 while forwarding ports can be useful if your network has a lot of traffic.

Most new routers have traffic management, I know mine does and that means no traffic from other devices ever comes near to the traffic created by my PS4's.

Anyway, I'd start with a speed test http://www.speedtest.net/, post the results here.

Also go to the windows search bar, type 'cmd' and hit enter, now type 'ping www.google.co.uk', hit enter and post the info on packets and ping here.

Finally go back into windows search, type 'cmd', hit enter, type 'ping 82.18.234.246' and hit enter... This will ping test to my IP and it'll highlight any issues.

Edited by DavidCore89

One thing about static IPs is that you have to check with your internet provider to see if they even allow them. A few in the US only allow this if you pay extra or get a specific service, so check there before trying to set up a static IP.

kQ4fIRp.png

One thing about static IPs is that you have to check with your internet provider to see if they even allow them. A few in the US only allow this if you pay extra or get a specific service, so check there before trying to set up a static IP.

Same in the UK.

MY ISP will not allow it to be done by anyone but themselves, and it costs £35.

I did forward my ports between my router and PS4 but it didn't change anything.

Still find myself in empty sessions while this never happened on PS3.