Tractor suggestions?

JustHatched

I know there is some rural types on here besides me, anyway Rose and I are looking to get a new (to us) tractor cuz we had to part ways with the old one because it was old and wore out and we either had to get rid of it while we could or spend a shit load to fix it up. 

We currently have a small Mistubishi (made by Kubota) but it lacks a loader. It is about half the size of a Ford 8N and really is to small for work around the farm. What we want is something about the size of an 8N that can handle a bucket and pull a mower. Suggestions? We were thinking a Kubota but they are really pricey for a used one and of course there are plenty of 8N's around here but they are older than god but easy to fix if needed.

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

I don't have a need for a tractor but I would love to own an 8N. They just look so cool.  I guess I could use it for plowing snow. It would be overkill for anything else though.

I see them everywhere so if they are plentiful and easy to fix, and attachments must be plentiful too, why not get one?

Early 90s Ford 1720 4wd tractor. A 2wd tractor with a loader is practically useless. Very reliable tractor! I sold mine in planning to downsize after 24 years of ownership. The only problem was a clutch, but my Uncle smoked it by resting his foot on the clutch while brush hogging my front pasture 15 years ago.

Very simple tractor and is a work horse and is about the size of an 8N

Shibaura 3cyl diesel

Engine (net):

28 hp PTO (claimed): 23.5 hp

Areas to check

Lift a good load with either the loader or rear links. Load speed and capacity is based on engine speed naturally, but should be responsive and no hydraulic pump moaning. Lift should stay up when approaching lift capacity, if it comes back down, you have a bad check valve or control valve. Both easy fixes.

Check fuel tank for rust, usually not a problem with a diesel. Fuel filter bowl is on the side and is glass and easy to see.

Most trannys were non syncro, except for the shuttle shifts, so you will grind sometimes when you have to do the rare up shifting.

Check front hub seals for leaks and check for fluid level in front axle assy. Its separate from the rest of hydraulic system.

Check rear axle seals for leaks. Hay bailing twine can get wrapped around axle and cut the seals. Fairly easy to replace, but just a PIA because of the wheels, especially if you have then weighted with water.

Lifters are solid, but don't really require valve adjustment very often. I only done it twice in 24 years and it's very easy.

Like I said, It's a little workhorse......in 4wd configuration. I wouldn't have any compact tractor in 2wd. I wore out many 16 bottom plow tips, built a few building pads, several roads, mowed and brush hogged untold amount of acres, turned untold tones of compost......ect.....ect.

I was sad to see it go, but it would have sat unused at my new place.

Edited by zztop911
  • Like 1

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

• 5 months later...

Bought a tractor this morning, got a good deal on it as we bought it in Indiana and a loop hole in tax laws meant we had to pay zero sales tax. We bought a Kubota L2501 with a 525 loader, land box grader, pallet forks and a blade. We already have a small grader box, bush mower, post hole digger, and a pulverizer.

This tractor is a hair smaller than we were looking for, but the next size up have all the required emission crap on the engine where as the one we bought does not because of the engine size, no computer means less shit to go wrong.

Standard%20L%20L2501%20L3301%20L3901%20L

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Just now, Whiteford99 said:

Nice tractor, wanna come fix my driveway?

For a small large lump sum, sure

How large is the small? For sure cover your fuel costs. It is a short driveway, but between 9 and 10% grade.

Illinois to Colorado, fuel, eats, and trip to Seven Falls and Cave of the Winds, and Royal Gorge, plus enough to get the wife to go along with it and I am there brother.

• Like 1

So, around $800 bucks, give or take.

I can rent a big skid steer for the day for around $300, damn, guess I'm gonna have to do it myself.

Did you get the hydrostat drive?

Yup, its hydrostat