The Ultimate Destruction Derby?

Squirrel

The destruction derbies we host are fun but everyone we make is flawed in one way or another, either lack of voice communication, difficulties when deciding a winner or people eliminated early having nothing to do while they wait for the event to finish.

I've tried making 3 different styles of DD, the capture one does work just hampered by lack of voice and it's too easy to get another car or have the mid air craziness. The TDM version works well too but the ultimate winner usually isn't the last surviving car. The race version didn't really work that well.

What I'd like some input on is what would make the ultimate DD event? Now that we have improved creator tools we should have the ability to make the perfect arena but how would it look and what game mode would it be based on?

This is what I've come up with so far based on peoples input. Unfortunately not dirt although I may change the weather to rain to see what effect it has.

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/member/squirrelarmy/games/gtav/jobs/job/3UfuhCqL9kua17sWxHEUxQ?platformId=11

Edited by Squirrel_Army

Regular DM works better than TDM, capture or LTS.

Having full voice chat is important.

There will always be flaws as GTA only recognizes kills or wins, it doesn't recognize damage taken to a vehicle. 

Most people will bail from the vehicle before it explodes, ideally there will be nothing for these player to climb over (such as barriers or walls).

Always have replacement vehicles otherwise it may turn into a fist fight and that gets boring fast.

Edited by DavidCore89

I think the arena needs to be on dirt, that's the way most destruction derbies are here in the States. Having the cars fishtail is fun.

Also it needs to be weak cars. Whatever is the quickest to blow up. All vehicles in GTA are way too rugged. Within reason though, golf carts or Faggios would be dumb.

Needs facing jumps in the middle for mid air collisions.

Not sure what game mode but being able to talk to everyone is best. Maybe regular death match.

I like the Futo for the actual car, it's got the right boxy style and has amazing damage de-formability. 

Dirt is certainly an interesting idea. Before we were limited to flat tarmac for prop placing but should be able to find a nice flat area somewhere. Any ideas where?

Deathmatches certainly seem popular, does it matter that the winner of the DD doesn't get the most points or cash at the end?

Replacement vehicles is a contentious point, should it not be once your vehicle is destroyed then you are out? But as DC says it can get boring without a vehicle so what can be done about it.

Farm field for flat dirt?

Futo sounds perfect. Maybe Warrener?

In DDs where there are no replacement vehicles I usually take photos of the action so a safe photo platform inside or outside of the arena that you can get to after you respawn would be nice. Maybe containers you could climb on?

A arena made of climbable props with a fence on top to prevent people to get back in action after respawning outside. One last player survives in the arena/cage.

I you exit you vehicle there is no way out, you will get killed, then respawn outside.

Maybe the startpoint are placed in "garages" with a car, a garage that has one exit leading out to the arena. There is no way go get back to the garage from the arena or from outside after respawning. It would take some props to work.

How about actually making it a competitive deathmatch? I can create a DM with either fists only or tear gas so the only really offensive weapon is a car. If you want to win then you have to kill as many people as possible. All respawns are within an arena where there is no escape or anywhere to hide. The safest place to be is a car and the last person in a car is likely to be the overall winner as they can run over all the others once their cars have been destroyed. We can set a default time limit of 20 or 30 minutes but have the winning conditions set to a number of kills which can vary depending on the amount of players taking part.

• Like 1

I've tested my theory out, made an arena on the beach around a ring of spawn points. This meant that the arena was very large. Due to the size of the arena all the unused cars despawned though which made it so people only had one car each. I'll try and find the right balance between arena size and number of players. 5 of us managed to destroy our cars in 15 minutes so that should be a good length of battle too. 

Not sure what others think but biggest thing that bothers me with destruction derbies is people getting new vehicles and continuing on. My idea would be to start the match outside of the arena where everyone gets a vehicle and then somehow gets their vehicle into the arena. Ideally they wouldn't be able to get out and get another vehicle. Still takes people doing what is right as when they die if they spawn outside the arena they could just grab another vehicle. But like someone said if there was a climable prop for people to get up and spectate from that would be nice

Not sure what others think but biggest thing that bothers me with destruction derbies is people getting new vehicles and continuing on. My idea would be to start the match outside of the arena where everyone gets a vehicle and then somehow gets their vehicle into the arena. Ideally they wouldn't be able to get out and get another vehicle. Still takes people doing what is right as when they die if they spawn outside the arena they could just grab another vehicle. But like someone said if there was a climable prop for people to get up and spectate from that would be nice

I think I have that solved, now that I know that unused vehicles despawn once you are far enough away from the action I think I have the perfect solution. It's not a dusty surface but It's a good size and nice and flat. 

• Like 1