Playstation Now?

silenttigercd

I presume you've all received this email from Playstation:

We’re building a streaming service that will change the future of gaming and now is the time to join us on the PlayStation Plus Beta with a subscription for only £12.99 a month!

Experience classic PS3 gameplay with no downloads or updates - 100 games are now available with more being added over time.

Free your PlayStation Now experience across a wide range of Sony devices and play the way you want, with individual game rentals or our monthly subscription.

Download the app on your devices from the PlayStation Store.

My thoughts are that this is going to be absolute shit! Often the lag is bad enough when games running from the console. 

So you press a button on the controller > Console receives it > Sends that request to Sony's servers > Server processes that request > Render the game > Send the HD video and audio back to the console. Surely by this time the NPC's will have killed you?!

Perhaps I'm being pessimistic but I think the gaming experience will be terrible and that it's a ridiculous idea. I certainly wouldn't pay £12.99 for the privilege! 

I'm still intrigued by the concept though and Sony could prove me wrong and make it work really well. Are any of you guy going to give it a go? I'd be interested to hear how it performs.

It sounds cool if you're going to use those old games often, but that costs more than my Netflix subscription and I use that almost daily.  The PS Now won't be used that often in our household.  So I can't justify the price.

Not interested. Last I knew the games available were nothing I cared about anyways.

Just give me a remastered collection of GTA games and I'll be good.

I don't want to play PS3 games, I've enjoyed some great games in the past but that is the way it is for me. There is no going back only forward. . . Faster gameplay, better visuals, better sounds and more detail. I'm not sure if I'll retire from gaming if the future is only online all the time. It's nice to have the option to play off line if I wanted to or if my internet was interrupted.

Short version, I don't plan to be a PS Now customer.

Seems like a huge gimmick.

Attracting customers with incredibly outdated games by claiming that the service "Will change the future of gaming"... These are the same (often very loyal) customers who already paid for a PS4, PS+ subscription(s), and probably already bought the same shit games on PS3 7 years ago.

I can think of better ways of spending £155.88 per year... Actually, I'd rather spend it on socks to last for the next 35 years.

Oh and did I say I wasn't interested?  :D

Edited by DavidCore89
  • Like 2

Seems like a huge gimmick.

Attracting customers with incredibly outdated games by claiming that the service "Will change the future of gaming"... These are the same (often very loyal) customers who already paid for a PS4, PS+ subscription(s), and probably already bought the same shit games on PS3 7 years ago.

I can think of better ways of spending £155.88 per year... Actually, I'd rather spend it on socks to last for the next 35 years.

Oh and did I say I wasn't interested?  :D

^^This. If I want to play old games I will fire up my PS2

• Like 1

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

I have actually done the free trial on this twice ;) Kinda cool, but both times, my thoughts were exactly what most of you are stating now. I still own a ps2/3/4 Wii, XBox, and a PC. I don't see the need to pay $15.00 american to do the same thing these other systems do for me :P 

Playstation is THE FIRST of its kind, coming out with CABLE TV through the system. No, not, "Play your cable through our box," like xbox, but actually their own cable service. It was only available to Chicago and one other city like a month ago, and has bumped up to quite a few more. The news segments on it seem pretty cool. The pricing is MORE then comparable to local competitors, and when I lied about my address and tried the free trial, it was pretty sweet! Looking forward to this hitting my area soon.

I've did the free trial of it and I don't think it's worth the price. I like the thought of being able to play older games on the PS4 but while I was playing I experienced some issues from small to big ones like graphics suddenly going from good to worse to some lag here and there. 

There are some good games on there that I liked playing for the duration of the trial but I'm not planning on getting it anytime soon though.

I tried the "play some old games again" thing on my PS3. I'll just hold onto my memories of playing those old games and their clunky controls.

I can fire up the Super Nintendo and play Zelda when I want nostalgia that is fun to play.

• 1 month later...

In the long run it seems cheaper just buying or continue using your ps3 and purchase used games, they sell for peanuts now but you can at lease have the option to sell them and or the ps3.

Edited by smurf

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the free trial of this yesterday.

The controller input lag is unreal, you've gotta anticipate things happening 2-3 seconds before they actually happen, pulling off the most simplest of tasks is near impossible.

The graphics are exactly the same as PS3 and as expected - 720p - however a slower connection will certainly see a much lower frame rate, combine that with the controller input lag and it's already game over  :D.

It gives the PS4 the old PS3 XMB, which is quite a shock after all this time on the nice-looking PS4.

I played 1 race, couldn't keep the car straight, finished 8th, quit the game and the free trial.

Maybe games with less controller input required would be easier to play, but I don't think it's worth the price, Sony should work at it until it's worth paying for.

• Like 2

I got the free trial, forgot to cancel (even though SONY was nice enough to email the day before to remind me to cancel lol) so i got stuck with it. Here in the states its $20 and to me its kind of expensive but thats about what an older used game cost, so i figured what the heck and been playing it alot. As an attempt to get my moneys worth not because i like the service haha

Heres my experience:

I havent played the ps4 titles, mostly ps3 and psn titles. I havent experienced that bad of a lag once im in the game, but thats not to say there isnt lag. If everyone at my house is on their phones or tablets, i get really bad lag (low quality graphics, stuterring etc) or i cant even get the game to load or get kicked. So the best times for me to play are when no ones homes or everyones asleep. This is pretty annoying. 

Although they have a decent sized list of games, they dont have that many ps4 titles. So if youre not into the whole nostalgia idea of video games, like you dont enjoy playing older games, then you wont like this service. Sure they have some of the newer ps4 titles but theres few of them. 

I like going back to play older games, but its hard for me to keep interest and complete the game all over again, so although the service offers alot of games i like, i rarely play any of them for more than 10-20 minutes. Its really hard to justify paying that much money but i guess when compared to the alternatives, such as game fly or other renting services this is the most convenient? 

• Like 1

tumblr_m8l94nfFrG1r5jta4o6_500.gif

One day the sadness will end.

Yeah I like the range of games and I wanted to finish off trophies on a certain game in particular, but the time difference between pressing a button and it happening on screen isn't acceptable IMO.

Like I said, my net is very good so net lag wasn't causing me issues, instead it was controller input lag during fast paced racing games.

That being said, I think other genres of games or slower paced games will be less affected by this.

I also think it'll be improved over time, but what I really want is backwards compatibility with PS3 games although it isn't gonna happen.