Rock Band 4

Jaggy

OK, I've never owned a Rock Band game.  I'm asking this here for anyone who has and can maybe give me some advice...

My six year old will not stop talking about how much she wants drums.  And I'm just like, oh hell no because that shit is loud.  So I figured maybe I could get her Rock Band 4 and get the drum/guitar set for the game.  That would be the best of both worlds, maybe... ??

Now my question is--would the drum set be easy (or somewhat easy) for a six year old to use?  She picks up on video games insanely fast.  She kicks ass in Rocket League, so I figured she will be able to figure out Rock Band without much of an issue.

I played one of these games a couple of times years ago with some people I used to work with.

I was absolutely horrible at it--probably because I don't have any rhythm, can't sing, and certainly can't play an instrument.  I don't think it would be that difficult for her though--kids are a lot of more tech savvy today than we were in our time.  She would probably enjoy it, but yeah, it may be a bit loud at times. :D

I played one of these games a couple of times years ago with some people I used to work with.

I was absolutely horrible at it--probably because I don't have any rhythm, can't sing, and certainly can't play an instrument.  I don't think it would be that difficult for her though--kids are a lot of more tech savvy today than we were in our time.  She would probably enjoy it, but yeah, it may be a bit loud at times. :D

No.  She wanted a real drum set.  That's loud.  A video game drum set isn't loud.  I can control the volume on it... and I'm sure the neighbor's will be thankful too.

No.  She wanted a real drum set.  That's loud.  A video game drum set isn't loud.  I can control the volume on it... and I'm sure the neighbor's will be thankful too.

Ah, this is what happens when you read things before fully waking up.

Yeah, the game would probably be the best option.  If she decides she wants to take up the (real) drums later on, you can cross that bridge when the time comes, but this would at least be a good starting point.  You can control the volume, but I do remember that game being very loud at times. :P

• Like 1

Ah, this is what happens when you read things before fully waking up.

Yeah, the game would probably be the best option.  If she decides she wants to take up the (real) drums later on, you can cross that bridge when the time comes, but this would at least be a good starting point.  You can control the volume, but I do remember that game being very loud at times. :P

Not sure if you had this back in your day, but TV's come with volume controls too.  :P

The drums is the closest to an actual instrument as you can get out of a video game. But its not the real deal. And they are loud enough, even if they are not as loud as real drums. I will be getting Rock Band 4 at my house, because the family has fun with it.

• Like 1

Dodgeservice.png

If you want to let her explore her musical talents, I think this would be a great place to start. I have guitar hero on the wii and it was a lot of fun. The drums can be a little tricky timing wise, especially the more difficult settings you use, but on easy it should be very basic.

You will still need to be able to coordinate your hands and foot (which many adults struggle to do), but kids can pick this stuff up pretty easily. Have a look at some YouTube videos of what's required to do to judge how well your kid will be at it.

From memory, guitar hero (about 5 years old?) allowed you to create custom music with the drums so you could just bang away and do what you want, and I would assume the newer versions would only be better.

This is the same as what an electronic drum kit is like. It needs to be connected to a speaker to make proper noise so it will be fairly quiet and help keep you sane. hmm I should get guitar hero out again now :P

• Like 1

scottyb1988.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man, plenty of good memories from many late night, alcohol fueled, Rock Band sessions. I was addicted to it but never could progress passed the medium difficulty on the entire game. Could do some songs on hard though.

As for part 4. I saw the entire set up costs nearly as much as a PS4! Gonna have to pass as I tossed all the instruments long ago.