DMZ - any risk?

djw180

As some of you may know I have had really bad connection issues in the past. I contacted RS support and got some quite helpful advice. Based on that (opening up some more ports on my router) the situation has greatly improved but is still not perfect. So their latest advice is "set your console to a static IP address, and assign this address to the DMZ".

The reason I would like to know more about this is previously they had said assigning  to DMZ was "not recommended" and just to open up a whole host of different ports on my router instead.

So are they are risks associated with assigning my console's IP address to the DMZ? All I use my console for is games (just GTA at the moment) and TV services (BBC Iplayer, 4OD).

From what I know it's not as "dangerous" putting your console outside the firewall but I wouldn't do it with a PC though ever. Just make sure you don't have any personal data on it to be super safe. One issue I did have when I DMZ'd my PS4 though is I got constant NAT errors with one particular friend but they won't affect you on PS3.

As you say, you only use it for gaming, the risk is minimal with consoles i think.

Forwarding the correct ports on your router though should give you the same result as demilitarizing though. There are articles around the web and this site has always been useful http://portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/PlayStation_Network/

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

yFn5uY6.png

Thanks Matty,

I've used portforward.com already to learn how to open ports.  (Anyone else reading this with connection issues I do recommend that site. They really do go through every single tiny little step of what you need to do.)

I just was just a bit confused by RS support first saying DMZing was not recommended and then a week later they recommend I do it.

Edited by djw180

I have my ps4 on DMZ and always had ps3 on.

I have no personal information even my ps account is paid with prepaid voucher, I'm not a tech savvy but i think putting your console on DMZ is minimal …i think

• Like 1

There's not really any risk.  The way a console is configured is much different than a computer and not susceptible to the same security risks.  We ran one of our PS4s in a DMZ for a while until it started to develop the issue Matty had.  We had some random connection issues too, but I doubt you will have that issue with only one console on your network.

• Like 1

I tried using DMZ once, before I upgraded my internets. I could join online just fine and join jobs and whatnot, but would constantly get the "save unsuccessful" message. I could have been doing something wrong though.

• Like 1

DMZ'd players constantly get NAT type errors in party chat and then try rejoining the party a billion times since NAT type 2 is uncommon with a DMZ'd config.

They also get immediately dropped from job lobbies quite regularly. 

I'm sure it improves things for other games, but for GTA it seems to make things worse.

Edited by DavidCore89
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the replies everyone. It seems there's no real risk with DMZ but also no guarantee it makes things any better.

I have just had a think back over the last two week's PLs I've tried to join. As far as I can recall out of about 10 PLs or crew sessions I only failed to join once, and a second attempt worked for that. Previously (before I opened more ports) there would be some PLs I could never join, no matter how many attempts I made. So I'm not going to make my PS3's IP address DMZ for time being. No point trying to make it 100% perfect if changing it could make things worse. It could of course be due to lower numbers of players, average number of other people in the PLs was about 5. At some point in the next couple of months I will get a PS4 so we'll see what happens with that.

• 2 weeks later...

My connection has been really dodgy lately, but a few days ago I placed my console's ip in dmz and I noticed I don't get as many issues as before. Not sure if it's just coincidence or not, though.

I'm getting error messages constantly too guys. Around the same time frame as dj. Ima link rockstar support to this thread n others so they can see it's a problem server side.

Just wanted to say my problems have virtually gone away (I posted this 21st Sept). I still get the occaisonal failure to connect to GTA-online, but that has always been the case right from when I first started playing.

For anyone having problems I'd recomend going to http://portforward.com/, same site Matty recomended. It seems to me that our routers are often not really set up for online gaming in the first place and you do need to open up extra ports on them.