How to get Legendary/Exotic Sword

Danielle

Source

The name of the quest is 'A Sword Reforging'

To obtain this quest, you need to complete the main 'The Taken King' quest line and unlock Patrol mode for the Dreadnaught. (Complete the 'Dread Patrol' mission)

Part 1: A Broken Will

Step 1 - Head to the Tower and talk to Eris. She will give you the quest 'A Broken Will'.

Step 2 - Speak to Lord Shaxx, The Crucible guy

Step 3 - Obtain 25 Hadium Flakes and 10 Motes of Light

• Hadium Flakes are found in loot chests on Dreadnaught Patrol
  • You can get a large number of Hadium Flakes in a package from ranking up Eris Morn.

Step 4 - Speak to Shaxx and hand him the materials.

Step 5 / Part 1 Complete - Choose which elemental blade you want as your reward

• You will need 25 of Relic Iron, Spinmetal or Helium Filaments, depending on which blade you choose.
  • The element type you choose, is the element type of the exotic you will get.

Congratulations, you now have your first Legendary sword!

Part 2: A Sword Reforged

To start Part 2, you need to have your legendary sword fully upgraded.

You also need to infuse it up to 280 attack, where it unlocks a 5th perk. Mine was 282.

Step 1 - Speak to Shaxx

Step 2 - Kill 50 Majors and 25 enemies in the Crucible

• Works on any majors, even the hive on Earth patrol. I'd suggest a strike with lots of Majors.
  • Killing 25 enemies in Crucible with a sword is a lot harder than it sounds. Damn shotguns.
  • You can smack people with the hilt for kills instead of waiting for heavy

Step 3 - Kill Ecthar, Sword of Oryx on Dreadnaught Patrol.

• Head to 'The Founts' area in Dreadnaught Patrol. (Go through the Cabal ship and then furthest exit on the left)
  • Drop down the first hole in the ground and circle round until you find the entrance to the middle room
  • Head to the back of this room and you will see 3 Warden knights with different elemental shields, weaken em.
  • Kill all 3 Warden Knights with 1 Super. Golden Gun, Sunbreaker, Shocklock etc.
  • The massive door will open, allowing you through to the Asylum.
  • Kill all the enemies until Ecthar runs at you. His shield can only be damaged by your sword
  • Let epic Star Wars lightsaber duel commence. Remember to make use of the Swords Guard ability.

• This took a while to figure out :P

Step 4 - Speak to Shaxx / Quest Complete.

Part 3: A Sword Reforged (Exotic)

This quest was available to me right after handing in the above one. Unsure of any requirements.

Step 1 - Speak to Shaxx

Step 2 - Gather 10 'Rare' materials and practice your relevant elemental abilities.

• The materials you have to farm depend on the elemental damage you chose. (Helium filaments for Solar)
  • Farm the desired resource on the desired planet Patrol. Day one guardians will know the struggle.
  • Rare material drop rate seems to be between 5% and 10%. Drop is consistently 1/10 - 1/15 harvests for me.
  • Have fun harvesting at least 100 materials, ugh. Unless it's completely random and I'm unlucky.
  • Chests do not work and will not give you the legendary material
  • For Ability kills, best bet is to camp Dark Beyond for 30 minutes throwing grenades. Voidfang Vestments.

Step 3 - Speak to Lord Shaxx

Step 4 - Wait for the next Armsday delivery (Every Wednesday)

• Like 2

If anyone needs help finding hadium flakes you can ask any hunter with the nightstalker ability that points out chests on the map, they are in every chest in the dreadnaught and Jesse & I can also show a route through some chests :)

This sword is my favourite new weapon, I know most won't want it taking up their exotic spot but I think if you used another character to make another legendary sword you could share them through the vault? I haven't tested whether this would work yet. I don't have another level 40 character either.

• Like 2

Yeah you can share swords but you have to be level 30 to equip it. Swapped mine from my warlock to my hunter last night because it's a good way to increase light level on an alt character.

Has anyone managed to get the 25 crucible kills yet? I'm up to 5. Is there a good match type to use?

Decided to try rumble. Up to 20/25 should be finished tonight

Edited by markt112

• 2 weeks later...

*happy dance*
I got my Dark Drinker exotic sword.  I can now confirm personally that you do NOT lose your legendary sword when you acquire the exotic as some people believed.

...man, this thing eats heavy ammo.

Note: I wouldn't bother trying to do this mission with randoms.  Odds are they are not going for the same element sword as you and will kill your Warden before you're ready.

pr0fane0ne.jpg

• 1 month later...

You can now buy all 3 legendary swords from Shaxx if you already have an exotic. 

Solar - 25 legendary marks & 25 helium filaments

Void - 25 legendary marks & 25 relic iron

Arc - 25 legendary marks & 25 spinmetal

If you buy them on the character you done your exotic sword quest on and then upgrade & infuse over 280 on that character you can then start the exotic sword quest at the collecting materials & ability kills stage. I bought the void yesterday and done the infusion and upgrading on my hunter then spoke to Shaxx (there was no notification to) and he gave me the quest at this stage, good if you don't want to do the crucible kills :) I had already got up to this point on the void sword on my warlock but it's much easier to do on hunter with nightstalker and the keen scout perk.

• Like 1