Fur Traps

Jaggy

Some asshole in our community is placing these fur traps in our neighborhood.  They have been found on our walking trails, washes, and paseos.  Two of our neighborhood cat's have been trapped in these this week.  We also have children who play/walk on the walking trails and paseos.  Trapping is legal in Nevada, however, it's illegal to do so in a residential area.  We have an agency coming out to investigate, but in the mean time, I'd like to find more of these (a lot have been found already!) and get them to clamp shut so I can remove them before more animals or children get injured.  Since I know nothing about hunting, and I'm sure a few of you here do... what's the best way to get these things to clamp shut safely?  I want to keep all of my fingers.  :)

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about:

12039357_994968680535259_634013417181269

Use a stick (about foot and a half should do, needs to be strong enough to activate the plate) and wear goggles :) you'll need a few sticks as one will be used for each trap 

• Like 2

What the hell is wrong with people, and why would anyone think it would be a good idea to put those around in a developed residential area?

I know absolutely nothing about hunting or traps, but seriously, the person responsible needs their brains kicked in.

• Like 3

I am seriously disgusted.

My neighbor was in tears when she was on the news last night about these traps.  I've taken care of her cats while they are out of town.  Her cat that got stuck in one of these traps comes over to our yard quite frequently to see what we're up to when she's outside.  If people hate cats walking around, shoo them away from your yard.  It's that easy.  There's no reason to place dozens of these traps in our area.

We have coyotes that will wander around the neighborhood, but we are backed up to the desert.  It's inevitable since we are invading their territory.  But even so, we don't have a huge coyote problem that traps would be necessary.  I'd rather people leave the coyotes alone too, as they're not hurting anyone.

My cat got out for a bit the other night and I am SO thankful she did not stumble upon one of these traps too.  As much as I love animals, I am very worried for all of the children in this area.  I'll have a real reason to bury someone in the desert if one of my kid's get caught in these.

• Like 2

Yeah, use a stick..

And, pull them and take them home, those traps are not cheap. An  average coon size trap sells for 40-50 bucks here. I would happily pay for the shipping if you want to send them here as I need some to place around my chicken pens. Or you should put them on Ebay and sell them. They will sell...

• Like 3

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

Yeah, use a stick..

And, pull them and take them home, those traps are not cheap. An  average coon size trap sells for 40-50 bucks here. I would happily pay for the shipping if you want to send them here as I need some to place around my chicken pens. Or you should put them on Ebay and sell them. They will sell...

This! If someone is stupid enough to place traps in public areas, take them up.

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

Probably a bear trap. I've seen people handle them by placing a stick or something large like a piece of cardboard that can activate it so that no one gets injured.

A quadratic function can be written in vertex form:

f(x) = a( x-h )^2 + k          *^2 means squared*

The vertex form is helpful because it tells you the location of the vertex (h,k); (x,y)

Wow, that's terrible!

There has been some incidents in my area lately, slightly different from traps, they were pieces of meat with sharp tacks inside them.

That's a bear trap, thankfully they're rarely discovered in the UK as it's illegal to set those in any open space (must be placed in an entrance to a rabbit warren etc).

It could be worse, a Gin trap (identical to this but with sharp teeth) would potentially take a human leg right off!.. Again very rare in the UK as it's illegal to set.

Edited by DavidCore89

I disagree with the posts about this being a bear trap, it's a coon trap. Bear traps are of the same design but are heaps bigger than that in the pic. How do I know? It can be hard to tell sizes in a pic, but the chain attached to it is of the swing set design which would only hold a small animal, bear trap would have a log chain design.

Probably who ever is setting them in a neighbor hood is pissed off about stray dogs or cats, coyotes and things along that line. I'm not sure what wildlife is in Vegas, but here you could trap coons in town plus rabbits and squirrels. I say could do it, not that it should be done or is legal to.

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

I haven't found any other traps and nothing reported from neighbor's.  Hopefully whatever was found were the only ones out there.  These traps are small, definitely not bear traps.  The only wildlife I know of running around in our area would be coyotes, bobcats, rabbits, rats (eww... on so many levels), and rabbits.  I'm sure we have other little critters around here, but that's all I'm aware of.  Whoever did this though wanted to send a message to pet owners.  If they wanted to trap coyotes, it would have been easier to set the traps closer to the desert where they would be coming from.

My neighbor's cat is doing much better, but she has to go to the vet daily for checkups.  They still have to make sure her paw doesn't have to be amputated.  I'm hoping karma visits whomever was placing these traps soon. 

Trapping overall is no longer a money maker for fur with all the synthetic stuff that can be bought. Unless you live in areas where Mink can trapped in good numbers it's more or less pointless to do other than nuisance control on a farm. Trapping for furs is a thing of the past. I remember as kid doing alot of trapping for coons and making enough off the fur to pay for a new radio and an intake manifold for my Trans Am, found out it was easier to get a job, I could make more money.

• Like 1