Creating Race Kerbs (PS4)

Squirrel

Race barriers can be a bit of a contentious issue. We often use tyre walls and stacks as well as the concrete barriers to mark out the inside line of a corner. All have their issues and its not exactly the best method when creating a track.

With the latest update we have now been given full 6 degrees of movement over props which means a lot more flexibility when creating a track.

Not the best image but the only one I can find which shows the prop in question.

0_0.jpg

This barrier when turned onto it's side and then embedded into the ground could be ideal for creating an inside kerb which would look and behave like a proper race kerb should.

Those drivers skilled enough to get 2 wheels onto the kerb should get a boost in speed and grip, take too much kerb however and the wider part of the prop should send your car out of control. 

Clipping has been removed from props so it should be easy to arrange them into an arc, prop templates can also be saved so once you have created one kerb assembly you will be able to re-use it without having to build it all from scratch again. 

Another potential prop that can be used in this method is the Tyre Stack. Again placed on its side and embedded into the ground means you get a red & white striped kerb marking out the race course, this will take some experimentation though to find the right height for being able to clip the kerb but also stop the car gaining an advantage by cutting the kerb.

We'll also need to fully test the behaviour of cars on these or any other kerb designs we can come up with.

I'll update this thread later with some images of kerbs and a how to guide on the best way of making a kerb once we have experimented with them.

Not a bad idea but not something that I think is worth the effort. Every corner will be slightly different which would require you to customise each one. It would certainly add a cool feel and look to the track though. Hitting a normal curb also lifts the car and gives is a slight vibration as well so the end result would be similar either way.

I personally leave one of those barriers a little bit off the edge of the curb where possible, which allows you to get 2 wheels on the curb and it also serves as a visual aid where the apex is.

The other problem is that if it is made incorrectly or you hit it wrong, you will be severely punished, in which case you're better to avoid them all together and just go close to them, which is what I would personally do.

Edited by ScottyB88

scottyb1988.jpg

Lots of testing needs to be done, both in the creator mode and on track. Hopefully we can come up with something which both looks and feels good but is also easy and not time consuming to replicate.

I think these style of kerbs would be mainly used at the airports where we have large expanses of flat tarmac to work with. Street style circuits will need each corner handling differently due to changes in road elevation.

I'm also thinking of turning the racetrack into a banked oval, will take some playing with but will see what I can do with it.

Edited by Squirrel_Army
  • Like 1

I've had a little experiment and found that the punishment for going to high is that you loose traction and out mid air meaning that you would collide with the cars on the other side of the corner. Got one more idea for this but will take quite a while to get right (using the small concrete barriers with a small gap in between to slow down cars on the corner)

• Like 1

I'm going to play with this today as well, see if I can embed a nice arrow into the track it's self on a section where I can't use barriers as the course runs in both directions through that spot.

• Like 1

Tyre lines put so there is a ramp on the road side and the tyre ends facing the corner seem to be working best so far ramp has no effect but you get slowed down if you cut the corner too much :) picture to come once I find a better angle for it (not harsh enough at the mo) :)