A Step Forward in Gaming

omarcomin71

Thirty years ago today the world was introduced to "Super Mario Bros".

I had an Artari 2600 but this was a game changer. Instant addiction.

Happy Birthday Mario!

• Like 8

Wow, I honestly can't believe it's 30 years old!  I cannot even imagine how many hours I spent playing Super Mario Bros (1 - 3) when I was younger.

I also had an Atari 2600 that was given to me after having been buried in a closet since 1977 and it was the first system I ever played, but NES is definitely what turned me into a gamer.  Well, that and always hanging out at the arcade.

This was the first system I received as a Christmas gift in 1988:

dscn3455.jpg?w=500&h=200

Such great memories! :D

Edited by LN-MLB
  • Like 4

This was the first system I received as a Christmas gift in 1988:

dscn3455.jpg?w=500&h=200

Such great memories! :D

Sweet Christmas gift! I imagine you didn't see the outdoors till maybe late July ?

• Like 2

Lmao LN. I got the one that came with the robot that didn't do a damn thing but it looked cool.

Haha, I remember that one.  I think it was called ROB or something like that.  A friend of mine had that one, and I don't remember the robot ever being used. :D

Sweet Christmas gift! I imagine you didn't see the outdoors till maybe late July ?

Sounds about right. :D  I remember us always having Olympic event competitions with World Class Track Meet.

Good memories ! I had a NES as well.

I still have it but I can't find the cables, pads and games :lol:

All I have is the console itself...

I wish I had kept my console and games.  I had already worn out two and had almost worn out the third when I decided to retire it for good.  I still regret selling the games though.  I'm sure you can get the cables on eBay for a reasonable price. :)

Edited by LN-MLB

I have my NES, Sega, and original Gameboy still.

The NES (with all my games) and the Sega are both at my mom's house.  No one uses it anymore.  It's been collecting dust ever since we bought a PS1.  Whenever I go back for a visit, I'll see if I can get it to work.  :P

Gamestop sells retro systems and games now.

Did you all know there was a top loading NES like the SNES?

nes-top-loader-in-box-011707.jpg

I remember those! I had a friend that had that version, but it was the only one I ever saw in person.

I still have all my consoles. Never sold one of them but they're all collecting dust.

Only have the PS3 and the Wii at home.

The rest (NES, MegaDrive II, PS1, PS2, N64, GameCube) are all at my dad's.

They all work perfectly fine except for that NES with its missing cables/pads.

Really need to find them back !

I do not have my NES. But I do have my original GameBoy, Super Nintendo, Genesis, and a PS1 running around my dad's house somewhere. The Gameboy is here with me, but the rest are not. 

Dodgeservice.png

Loved my Atari as a kid, I can vividly remember receiving it for Christmas as a child, with the first game which was Cookie Monster crunch.

It was a special game that needed the paddle comtrols instead of the joystick. Shame my parents never bought the paddles so all I could do was watch the demo for hours.

At least a couple months later they got me Galaxian.

• Like 2

I still remember the day my brother tripped over the Atari power cord and killed it.

After that we went on to PC gaming. Tandy 1000EX and most every game available at the time. Police Quest was my favorite.

We were late going to NES. I loved watching "Racoon" Mario do his tail spin to bust blocks. I still have my SNES and it works.

Once I saw Resident Evil, it was good bye Nintendo. Sucks that they turned that franchise into the worthless turd it is.

• Like 1

I still remember the day my brother tripped over the Atari power cord and killed it.

After that we went on to PC gaming. Tandy 1000EX and most every game available at the time. Police Quest was my favorite.

We were late going to NES. I loved watching "Racoon" Mario do his tail spin to bust blocks. I still have my SNES and it works.

Once I saw Resident Evil, it was good bye Nintendo. Sucks that they turned that franchise into the worthless turd it is.

Police Quest was a brilliant series.  I wish they'd make something similar again or perhaps even something similar for the PS4.

Did anyone ever play the Mega Man games on NES?  The first one was a bit hard to find and quite uncommon, but both Part II and Part III were right up there with Mario Bros and the like.  I loved those games!

Did anyone ever play the Mega Man games on NES?  The first one was a bit hard to find and quite uncommon, but both Part II and Part III were right up there with Mario Bros and the like.  I loved those games!

I was a big fan of Mega Man.  The Mega Man games were probably my favorite non sports games.  How great would it be to see an updated version? ;)

• Like 1