• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lann

• Dodge

• DavidCore89

• Jaggy

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I've worked on them quite a lot and drove them around and while I'm not a fan of Dodges at all, the interior is nice. You'd be hard pressed to find another truck based 7 seater this size and definitely not one smaller. Chevrolet's Traverse is about the same size and has 7 seats in certain models, but it's not as nice, doesn't have a V8 and it just feels cheap in comparison. From what I've been told though the Durango has been discontinued and it hasn't been out for long in this body style. I haven't heard talk of a replacement either. I'm not sure if they are discontinuing due to issues, but it is a fairly technology advanced vehicle. It has the system that's been all over the news for having the possibility of being hacked, but there's a very slim chance of that happening at this point at least. They are working on a software fix.

• Like 1

Yeah, I've worked on them quite a lot and drove them around and while I'm not a fan of Dodges at all, the interior is nice. You'd be hard pressed to find another truck based 7 seater this size and definitely not one smaller. Chevrolet's Traverse is about the same size and has 7 seats in certain models, but it's not as nice, doesn't have a V8 and it just feels cheap in comparison. From what I've been told though the Durango has been discontinued and it hasn't been out for long in this body style. I haven't heard talk of a replacement either. I'm not sure if they are discontinuing due to issues, but it is a fairly technology advanced vehicle. It has the system that's been all over the news for having the possibility of being hacked, but there's a very slim chance of that happening at this point at least. They are working on a software fix.

Thanks Torrid. There are only a few of these available over here. To find a good looking big 7 seater with a decent engine is almost impossible.

The Durango has been discontinued here in the states. Canada will still sell them next year. It wouldn't suprised me if they still sold them for another year or so overseas.  The Durango is planned to be launched after the new Jeep Grand Wagoner is released. As they will share a platform. Right now the Durango and Grand Cherokee use a modified W166 and X166 chassis from Mercedes. All M-B Chassis are to be finished with Chrysler in the next few years. 

As for the Durango itself, it's solidly built. It has the seating capacity for 7, and the best style in the class IMO. The single largest short coming for the Durango, is the fuel economy. Chrysler has still not figured out how to bring the economy up. I assume this Durango you are looking at is a V6. The Pentastar V6 has taken engine technology from Fiat and Ferrarri, and put that tech into an American made Vehicle. Its the first Chrysler engine to utilize Direct Injection. It is also DOHC, and supports cylinder deactivation for increased fuel economy. 

The Pentastar is only half the battle for the Durango. Its mated to the 845RE transmission. Which a masterpiece of German Engineering from ZF Transmissions. Its an 8 Speed Automatic Trans with shift times coming in under 200 milliseconds. And is non sequential. Meaning it can skip gears on up and down shift. 

In short, Durango is a good vehicle. I see no reason not to own it as long as you don't need a vehicle that's bigger than this one. 

• Like 1

Dodgeservice.png

The Durango has been discontinued here in the states. Canada will still sell them next year. It wouldn't suprised me if they still sold them for another year or so overseas.  The Durango is planned to be launched after the new Jeep Grand Wagoner is released. As they will share a platform. Right now the Durango and Grand Cherokee use a modified W166 and X166 chassis from Mercedes. All M-B Chassis are to be finished with Chrysler in the next few years. 

As for the Durango itself, it's solidly built. It has the seating capacity for 7, and the best style in the class IMO. The single largest short coming for the Durango, is the fuel economy. Chrysler has still not figured out how to bring the economy up. I assume this Durango you are looking at is a V6. The Pentastar V6 has taken engine technology from Fiat and Ferrarri, and put that tech into an American made Vehicle. Its the first Chrysler engine to utilize Direct Injection. It is also DOHC, and supports cylinder deactivation for increased fuel economy. 

The Pentastar is only half the battle for the Durango. Its mated to the 845RE transmission. Which a masterpiece of German Engineering from ZF Transmissions. Its an 8 Speed Automatic Trans with shift times coming in under 200 milliseconds. And is non sequential. Meaning it can skip gears on up and down shift. 

In short, Durango is a good vehicle. I see no reason not to own it as long as you don't need a vehicle that's bigger than this one.

Thanks Dodge. Its close to being to small. But the bigger EU options are usually more of a mini buss. We got a VW Multivan today, great space and usefull.

I currently own a 2004 Dodge Durango. It has been a very good vehicle mechanically. Body wise, not so good, but that can probably be attributed to the horrible conditions here where I live in the US. The winters are brutal on cars because of the amount of salt applied to the roads. I'm having a lot of rust issues on the underside of all the doors and one of the rear fenders is rusting badly. I've also noticed this on quite a few of the Durangos with the same body style (2004 to 2010 model years?).

Size wise, if this version is similar to mine, then the very rear seats are adequate for kids or very short adults but I wouldn't want anybody taller than 1.7 meters back there. The middle row seats recline on my Durango so that is a plus if that feature has carried over.

So, the only issue that I have with mine is the rust, otherwise it has been a very solid vehicle with no other issues and I've owned it for 11 years.

• Like 1

kQ4fIRp.png

I currently own a 2004 Dodge Durango. It has been a very good vehicle mechanically. Body wise, not so good, but that can probably be attributed to the horrible conditions here where I live in the US. The winters are brutal on cars because of the amount of salt applied to the roads. I'm having a lot of rust issues on the underside of all the doors and one of the rear fenders is rusting badly. I've also noticed this on quite a few of the Durangos with the same body style (2004 to 2010 model years?).

Size wise, if this version is similar to mine, then the very rear seats are adequate for kids or very short adults but I wouldn't want anybody taller than 1.7 meters back there. The middle row seats recline on my Durango so that is a plus if that feature has carried over.

So, the only issue that I have with mine is the rust, otherwise it has been a very solid vehicle with no other issues and I've owned it for 11 years.

Thanks furdog. The size might be an issue having kids that grow.

I assume this Durango you are looking at is a V6.

I was looking at the v8. One reason I was looking at the bigger engine is that my buddy just got a BMW M135i and I hate to be 200 hp (320 hp on the M135i) behind him.

But in reality I know its probably not the best decision to go with. But I am not going to change car until Q1 2016 so I have time to scan the market.

The HEMI is a solid engine. It's not ridiculously advanced, in terms of technology, but its has a ton of power. I think it holds 390hp, but the V6 still puts out 290hp. So it should be comparable. The HEMI utilizes Dual Spark Plugs, meaning it has 16 spark plugs. It fires both during the 4 cycles of combustion. Just a little heads up when it comes to maintenance.

• Like 1

Dodgeservice.png

The EU V8 packs 360 BHP... This isn't much considering it's the size of a cruise ship and probably weighs twice as much. This Dodge will get shown up by a BMW 118i on any road that isn't a straight line, never mind the M135i that your friend is driving. An EU manufacturer will get double the power from any 5.7L engine.

It has no diesel option (which in the UK is crucial for any large SUV).

No full manual option and the semi-auto box is a stupid 8 speed box.

The base model is missing a ton of optional extras that should really be as standard on the car for that price... $450 for a CD player? That is ridiculous! $1,095 for some reverse parking sensors? The show goes on, the base model doesn't even come with 4WD... Can you imagine this heap of metal getting stuck in the mud with it's useless RWD?!   :lol:.

If you want an SUV, I'd strongly consider looking at the EU manufacturers (unless the more quirky Japanese market is your style :)).

I bet it's all cheap black plastic inside as well.

Would I buy one? No way!

Edited by DavidCore89
  • Like 2

The EU V8 packs 360 BHP... This isn't much considering it's the size of a cruise ship and probably weighs twice as much. This Dodge will get shown up by a BMW 118i on any road that isn't a straight line, never mind the M135i that your friend is driving. An EU manufacturer will get double the power from any 5.7L engine.

It has no diesel option (which in the UK is crucial for any large SUV).

No full manual option and the semi-auto box is a stupid 8 speed box.

The base model is missing a ton of optional extras that should really be as standard on the car for that price... $450 for a CD player? That is ridiculous! $1,095 for some reverse parking sensors? The show goes on, the base model doesn't even come with 4WD... Can you imagine this heap of metal getting stuck in the mud with it's useless RWD?!   :lol:.

If you want an SUV, I'd strongly consider looking at the EU manufacturers (unless the more quirky Japanese market is your style :)).

I bet it's all cheap black plastic inside as well.

Would I buy one? No way!

Lol, I get the picture DC. Do you have any good 7 seater in the UK? (Good as in as fun and good looking as they can be carrying 7 people)

Lol, I get the picture DC. Do you have any good 7 seater in the UK? (Good as in as fun and good looking as they can be carrying 7 people)

If you're gonna be carrying children then IMO safety features are a must as the rear seats can be considered a deathtrap in a heavy rear impact.

I'd suggest taking a look at the Nissan Qashqai+2, Citroen Grand C4 Picasso, Land Rover Discovery, Hyundai Santa Fe (7 seat upgrade) and the newer version of the Volvo XC90.

I think the Hyundai has the highest Euro NCAP rating for child safety of the 7 seat class, 89%, but it doesn't look very sporty and it's apparently not great to drive. 

I guess each car has it's own key selling points.

Edited by DavidCore89

If you're gonna be carrying children then IMO safety features are a must as the rear seats can be considered a deathtrap in a heavy rear impact.

I'd suggest taking a look at the Nissan Qashqai+2, Citroen Grand C4 Picasso, Land Rover Discovery, Hyundai Santa Fe (7 seat upgrade) and the newer version of the Volvo XC90.

I think the Hyundai has the highest Euro NCAP rating for child safety of the 7 seat class, 89%.

I guess each car has it's own key selling points.

I have the same priority, and after owning a Ford S-Max (that drove more like a car than a van) I cant get past the fact that the heads in the third row are about a foot away from any large vehicles bumper as they hit the car from behind. The Multivan i drive today is alot better as far as space and feels safer, but it is a bus and it feels boring sometimes.

I cant afford to have two vehicles, even though that probably would be the best solution.

I have the same priority, and after owning a Ford S-Max (that drove more like a car than a van) I cant get past the fact that the heads in the third row are about a foot away from any large vehicles bumper as they hit the car from behind. The Multivan i drive today is alot better as far as space and feels safer, but it is a bus and it feels boring sometimes.

I cant afford to have two vehicles, even though that probably would be the best solution.

I agree, the S-Max looks great and no doubt it's nice to drive, but I wouldn't sit in those rear seats myself, never mind put a child back there.

The VW that you have right now is extremely practical, nothing else will offer the same space and options, it won't win any races though  :D.

Anyway, I thought all Swedes had super-safe Volvo's?  :P.

Why not go with the Infiniti QX80?  They are very pricey if you buy new, but I'm sure you could get a used one.  Also, I'm not sure how large this vehicle would be compared to other average cars in your area.  I would love to have one just to run little cars off the road in style.

Why not go with the Infiniti QX80?  They are very pricey if you buy new, but I'm sure you could get a used one.  Also, I'm not sure how large this vehicle would be compared to other average cars in your area.  I would love to have one just to run little cars off the road in style.

Not sure if that's in EU, I know it's not available in the UK.

• Like 1

No. Infiniti is only an American brand. It was made to help the upper class distinguish themselves from the lower class. 

Lol yeah, they're just expensive Nissan's.

Infiniti are sold new and used in the UK, but not that model.

They're also partnered with my favourite football team as the official vehicle supplier  :).

The QX80 is the new model name for it.  I believe it was the QX56 before the name change.

I've driven a Nissan/Infiniti's and yes, Infiniti is just a fancy Nissan... but it's so much nicer and better quality.  You get what you pay for.  I like Nissan, but prefer to get my money's worth now.  I buy used anyway.  So the sticker shock at dealerships isn't a big deal to me for brand spanking new off the truck models.

The Volvo is too expensive, and at least the older xc90 is to small as well.

In reality there really isnt many other options than these to choose from when looking at the large vehicles for 6 people to travel safe here:

Ford

0XEVTct.png

Opel

L8iMCmQ.png

Opel Vivaro

Renault

kbgA7oB.png

Mercedes

cIP0RbK.png

Expensive.

Volkswagen

RTSUjlM.png