What Are You Reading?

LimeGreenLegend

Reading for me is my absolute favourite hobby, even more so than video games. So I thought I'd start a little place where we can all share what we're currently reading and maybe get some good recommendations :D

Right now I'm about halfway through The Unicorn by Iris Murdoch and its really starting to get good. Like a lot of her books she cranks up tension over a situation for the first half or so of a book, than has a big breaking point to spur the second half on, and I just reached that point so things are getting pretty heated!

Anyone else reading something particularly good at the minute, or just want to share your favourite books/authors?

• Like 1

I read a lot of James Patterson books.  Loved his older stuff, some of his newer stuff isn't as good.  Right now, I'm working on his book Private.  It takes me ages to finish books because I can almost never get some peace and quiet.  I've been summoned to jury duty on Monday, so I'm hoping to finish my book while sitting in the courthouse with no kids.

• Like 1

-A drivers manual

-The night shift

• Like 1

A quadratic function can be written in vertex form:

f(x) = a( x-h )^2 + k          *^2 means squared*

The vertex form is helpful because it tells you the location of the vertex (h,k); (x,y)

Jury duty sounds like the perfect place to catch up on some reading :D unless it's a juicy case :P

What's Private about? I've never read any James Patterson.

I am an avid reader myself however I have not found anything to grab my attention. I have read and loved all the Dan Brown books, Hunger games and L.T. Ryan's books.

Jury duty sounds like the perfect place to catch up on some reading :D unless it's a juicy case :P

What's Private about? I've never read any James Patterson.

It's about a man who took over his father's private investigation business.  The business held onto the juicy secrets of high profile people.  Celebrities, politicians, professional athletics, etc.  They also investigate your typical crimes around LA too.  I'm only about halfway through.  Wish I could read a book in a day or two like some people.  

My favorite James Patterson book is Roses are Red.  You need to read it sometime.  :D

• Like 1

I haven't read a book in a while but I like crimes stories and thrillers most.

I read Millenium by Stieg Larsson like everyone else and it was amazing.

I read every book by Mo Hayder, a british writer. They are really good.

I'll probably start reading Camilla Lackberg's books this winter. They are swedish crime books, like Millenium. My girl loves them.

And of course I read The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit and Harry Potter :D

• Like 1

I read alot of books at night and at work some re omended series all kinds spy terror books with alot of books in the series are

Jack reacher

Mitch rapp

Scott harvath

Jack noble

Pike logan

Google any of their names and will find the series

• Like 1

It's about a man who took over his father's private investigation business.  The business held onto the juicy secrets of high profile people.  Celebrities, politicians, professional athletics, etc.  They also investigate your typical crimes around LA too.  I'm only about halfway through.  Wish I could read a book in a day or two like some people.  

My favorite James Patterson book is Roses are Red.  You need to read it sometime.  :D

Sounds cool, like a modern Raymond Chandler LA Confidential type thing. And I'll add Roses Are Red to my list :)

I read alot of books at night and at work some re omended series all kinds spy terror books with alot of books in the series are

Jack reacher

Mitch rapp

Scott harvath

Jack noble

Pike logan

Google any of their names and will find the series

Have you read I Am Pilgrim? That was the best spy thriller type book I've read in years.

I'm currently near the end of Cell by Stephen King. This is my second read-through of this book. Not one of his best, in my opinion, but a good quick and easy read. I've been reading a lot of sci-fi and fantasy books lately but will probably change it up again as I'm getting burnt out on them. Tried to read two other books in the last couple of weeks, The Mechanicals and Touch, but couldn't get myself to finish them. Got about half way through Touch and just stopped. Only read about 1/4 of The Mechanicals.

• Like 1

kQ4fIRp.png

I have the attention span of a gold fish when it comes to reading (yet I am into forums...odd), at best I might get thru a Sport Aviation magazine in about 4-5 trips to the restroom :P 

I don't think I have ever read an entire book.

• Like 1

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

Resident evil umbrella chroicles. It's the story of the first game and its the shit.

I finished, last month, russell brand revolution. That was interesting and funny (of course). I can't remember exactly the example but he talks about the power of the mind and imagination and says sumin like think of Hitler riding an elephant singing kylie minogue. If u actually do that it's impossible not to laugh. I'm sure there was a deeper point, or maybe not, who knows?

I moved in with a south african lady just before xmas last year, we were talkin about her book collection and she pointed out a Will Self book, sumin with damien hurst artwork on the front and said it was really good. I read the first part of that and although it was like reading a dictionary backwards, it was also the shit. Old woman with cancer, i think, dealing with it with black humour and a big ol vocabulary. I didn't finish it, because I'm lazy, but if I weren't I bet it would have been interesting. I can see from that snippet, I guess, why you are a fan. Unless you are actually will self and that's a profile picture then wudup.

I moved in with a south african lady just before xmas last year, we were talkin about her book collection and she pointed out a Will Self book, sumin with damien hurst artwork on the front and said it was really good. I read the first part of that and although it was like reading a dictionary backwards, it was also the shit. Old woman with cancer, i think, dealing with it with black humour and a big ol vocabulary. I didn't finish it, because I'm lazy, but if I weren't I bet it would have been interesting. I can see from that snippet, I guess, why you are a fan. Unless you are actually will self and that's a profile picture then wudup.

That sounds like How The Dead Live, that is a really dark book, and I'm not Will Self, just wish I had his talent :D

That sounds like How The Dead Live, that is a really dark book, and I'm not Will Self, just wish I had his talent :D

Haha. Yup, that was it. You read it? If you have, what you think?

• Like 1

I always have a book on the go. mostly read on the way to work or in the bath.  I'm currently reading Raising Steam, Terry Pratchet's last but one.

• Like 1

Haha. Yup, that was it. You read it? If you have, what you think?

I thought it was incredible, a really dark meditation on death and the meaning of life, and the main character is so unlikable yet likeable at the same time. Also she lives with two creatures made from all the fat she had lipo'd out when she was alive, how could you not like that :D

Decided to move to digital this summer hollidays and was a bit weird not having a real book! Maybe it was the reason why only finish 2 books, last one been the dawn brown demons.

Ah

I thought it was incredible, a really dark meditation on death and the meaning of life, and the main character is so unlikable yet likeable at the same time. Also she lives with two creatures made from all the fat she had lipo'd out when she was alive, how could you not like that :D

Ah yes, the ol lipo'd fat creature pets, i thought it was a niche, but glad to see more people getting involved LOL I'm going to the library tomorrow, if it's there and my library debts (yes, debts to the frekin library) aint too much, I'll pick it up and report back.

Started a new book, or rather re-reading an old one. Devil's Brood by Sharron Penman. I do tend to find authors I like and stick with them. I don't necessarily read everything of theirs but certainly do go through trilogies or longer series and then at some point re-read them. I love historical fiction. This one is the final part of trilogy about Henry II & Eleanor of Aquitaine, King & Queen of England and Duke & Duchess of about half of France in 12th century.

• Like 1

Just started 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami, two chapters in and it's very him. Really surreal and I'm not sure what it's about yet but it's really good.

I always have a book on the go. mostly read on the way to work or in the bath.  I'm currently reading Raising Steam, Terry Pratchet's last but one.

where is a good place to start with pratchetts stuff? ive seen bits of the tv specials and taught he might be worth a read!

Right now I'm about halfway through The Unicorn by Iris Murdoch and its really starting to get good. Like a lot of her books she cranks up tension. over a situation for the first half or so of a book, than has a big breaking point to spur the second half on, and I just reached that point so things are getting pretty heated!

Anyone else reading something particularly good at the minute, or just want to share your favourite books/authors?

my GF is reading that unicorn book atm, she keeps saying i would like it.... but i was like, its about a unicorn wtf would i want to read that for. led to a heated discussion about symbolism and that fact its not about a unicorn jumping over rainbows lol . its based in Ireland ?

I'm currently reading "a storm of swords" the 3rd book in "A song for Ice and Fire" (game of thrones) I wish i had of the read the books before watching the show as they are so much better! the level of detail he has in his characters is insane, hope to have them all read before the next book is released or the next season of the show

Competitive Thursday, TDM madness 8pm GMT

where is a good place to start with pratchetts stuff? ive seen bits of the tv specials and taught he might be worth a read!

my GF is reading that unicorn book atm, she keeps saying i would like it.... but i was like, its about a unicorn wtf would i want to read that for. led to a heated discussion about symbolism and that fact its not about a unicorn jumping over rainbows lol . its based in Ireland ?

I'm currently reading "a storm of swords" the 3rd book in "A song for Ice and Fire" (game of thrones) I wish i had of the read the books before watching the show as they are so much better! the level of detail he has in his characters is insane, hope to have them all read before the next book is released or the next season of the show

It's not specified where it's set, just a desolate bit of British coast, and no, there is no Unicorn (not literally anyway) :D

As for Pratchett I would start with the first Discworld book, The Colour of Magic :)

I'm reading them all again too, just started on Clash of Kings, It's a series I like to re-read as you always miss a few little details the 1st or 2nd time around. I have read all the books so far and can't wait for the new series & book.

I assume you mean the adult Discworld novels. He did others either not part of the Discworld, which I still have not read all of, and some aimed at children / young adults that I think are kind of spin-offs from the main Discworld series.

There's a lot of them, but if you think you might eventually read them all if you like them, then start at the beginning, The Colour of Magic. Many of them don't refer to earlier books in any major way but some do follow on from previous ones at least as far as the back story of the characters goes. I think the only character that appears in them all is Death and he is only a main character in a couple. If you think you might only want to try a few then maybe pick one that has theme you think you may like. Most of them basically satirize some real-world thing, e.g. Moving Pictures is about cinema, Small Gods about religion, Raising Steam the Railway. I think you can easily tell what each book is about from the cover.