Parachutes in GTA races

djw180

I've been experimenting with making some special races in GTA mode, where you have to leave your vehicle. What I wanted to do was have a race where you jump off a mountain or big ramp, bale out and parachute to the end. So I made a couple of test races like this. I tested them in the creator (driving to the end because you can't bale out). Then I tried playing them properly. The first run of them is OK. But if I restart the job on the 2nd and any further re-runs there is no parachute. I jumped off my bike and just fell to the ground. So I went back to the creator and put some parachutes along the course. Tried again, as I drive through a parachute there's a message saying I have picked it up. But yet again I can only bale out and parachute on the 1st run of the race. I checked the weapons I have available  and on the 1st run I can see the parachute there to the bottom right of the weapon wheel, but on the 2nd, 3rd etc runs no parachute, even if I have apparently picked one up. The same thing happens if you have to respawn after the first parachute jump. There is never another parachute equipped once you have used one.

Is this is bug or am I doing something wrong? If this can't be fixed then I will have to abandon these races as there's no point having them if you can't choose to re-run them. I wanted them as crew challenges where doing multiple re-runs is almost certainly needed.

I think so, will try later.

If that were work on re-runs then another option would be start in a helicopter (or even plane), land it, steal a car/bike, go up the mountain, jump off and parachute.

Are you making it a race using checkpoints or do you just want there to be a winner at the end?

You could make it a capture. More freedom to add vehicles if needed and have it so each player can grab a package and a parachute. Have the number of bags needed to win set to something like 3 so the 1st team to get 3 players home wins the round.

Respawn areas could be back at the top of the mountain and if you set it as forced and pickups as the weapons with a starting weapon of tear gas it should reduce the urge to kill each other.  

Are you making it a race using checkpoints or do you just want there to be a winner at the end?

You could make it a capture. More freedom to add vehicles if needed and have it so each player can grab a package and a parachute. Have the number of bags needed to win set to something like 3 so the 1st team to get 3 players home wins the round.

Respawn areas could be back at the top of the mountain and if you set it as forced and pickups as the weapons with a starting weapon of tear gas it should reduce the urge to kill each other.  

Yes it's a checkpoint race. What I'm trying to do at the moment needs to be doable as single-player because it's for a crew challenge

I have got ideas for captures like that are really races as well.

What I just don't get is why you can place a parachute as a pick up weapon in a GTA race and then it not be usuable. That has to be a bug. I think if all else fails I will just make a few of these races and have them quite short. Then someone can do them all as playlist and repeat that. Hopefully you will be able to parachute when the PL is repeated, but then again maybe that won't work either.

Edited by djw180

More on this. Running a number of these type of races in PL doesn't work. On the 2nd race you no longer have a parachute. I've also noticed that starting one of these races up from passive mode means you don't have a parachute either even on the 1st run. I can see the logic to that as the parachute is classed as a weapon. So if you have no weapons equipped you don't have a parachute. But I would have though the fact that you start a GTA race ought to override your passive mode, as it obviously does for other GTA weapons. I guess it's also the case for 2nd runs of these races that you use your one and only parachute in the 1st one, so you then don't have it for the 2nd one.

All of this would of course be irrelevant if parachutes placed as pickups in GTA races could actually be picked up and used.

I suppose I should report this as bug to RS. But I would have thought someone else would have noticed this by now. I can't believe I am the first person to ever attempt to make a race like this. It could be due to some recent update though.

I have reported this as a bug to RS. They suggested deleting my game utility data, re-installing it and trying again. Made no difference.

So next is to see if someone else can re-produce this bug. I have made a simple test "race" to demonstrate what happens

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/member/spike180/games/gtav/jobs/job/EkUQOqbVoEyLtS3sCCO2ww?platformId=2

Would anyone be able to have a go at this themselves and see if it works or not for them please?

What you need to do is this,

• start the race but wait for the message saying weapons are available

• get off the bike and check if you have a parachute equipped, just select a weapon and see if a parachute is shown bottom right

• if it's not then ride through one of the parachute pickups, you should see a message saying you have picked up a parachute

• the bug I encounter is that there is still no parachute equipped

• so please check if you do have one now

• if you do a have a parachute continue the race, ride up and off the ramp, then jump off the bike and parachute to the end

• if don't have a parachute either quit or carry on without taking the ramp

• if you did parachute please select replay at the voting the screen and do this again

• you should not have a parachute the 2nd time, because you used it on the 1st attempt

• so as above go through the pickups and see if you can pick one up please

So if a couple of people can do this, hopefully someone on PS3 and someone on a PS4 I can let RS know it's either just a problem for me or other's encounter the same thing.

Thanks for anyone who can help,

DJ