Rockets VS Besras

Onrefne

ROCKETS VS PLANES

1_1.jpg

PLAYERS: 2 to 16

TEAMS: 2

DESCRIPTION:

Take down the rocket wielding team in many fowl swoops. Goodluck.

WARNING: not as easy as it sounds!

Edited by Onrefne

I've not played this .. however, looking at the RSC map I fear the Besra team will absolutely dominate.

It looks like you have about .. 4 containers. I can't recall how accurate it depicts stacked props, so I think you know where I'm going with this. If there's nothing above protecting the rocket team, all the Besras have to do is kamikaze earth dive into the rocket team and it's game over. Explosions have splash damage and you kinda don't have much place to go if this follows the typical RvI set up.

But this is me NOT playing it. Maybe you addressed that problem already. If not, it's one seriously worth considering or there WILL be imbalance. Cool idea though.

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

I've not played this .. however, looking at the RSC map I fear the Besra team will absolutely dominate.

If there's nothing above protecting the rocket team, all the Besras have to do is kamikaze earth dive into the rocket team and it's game over. Explosions have splash damage and you kinda don't have much place to go if this follows the typical RvI set up.

i have not addressed this nor did i think of this. i guess when i make jobs i gotta think of how to stop the fun ruining ppl that dunno how to play right lol. 

i just hope it won't be too confusing for the besra team with all those extra floating containers, now i gotta think of the right high that is high enough to not be too narrow of a gap to fly through but low enough to not allow said kamikazeing. 

ive played something similar to this once, the containers were quite high up and they were in the shape of a rectangle with the people in the middle so its basically a hoop for the planes to get and the people in the middle of the hoop, kinda hard to describe lol

nicolabellamy77.png

Four of us tried it last night.  It's an interesting concept, but I think a couple of things need to be noted.

The platform is a bit too narrow.  It's quite easy to fall off right after starting the match.  There were only four of us, so I can imagine that with a bigger lobby, a lot of people will push one another off by mistake.  I'd consider expanding the platform and perhaps putting it between a building.  It's really hard to actually see the platform from the aircraft when first taking off.

The Besra is a bit too quick to hit with RPGs it seems.  I don't think any of us managed to land a single hit, so perhaps consider using a slower plane like the Mallard.  It might even make it a bit more interesting overall--although there is still perhaps the instant kamikaze scenario as G mentioned, but it never hurts to try.  If you decide not to change the aircraft, perhaps change the weapons.  I don't know, I was thinking a mini-gun might work better for some reason.

Like I said, it's an interesting concept and I actually like some of these types of maps (RvI for example), but I just think this one needs a few changes and then you may be on the right track.

Got a chance to test this out last night.

It is plagued from the issues I previously mentioned. What's more is that there is further imbalance between both teams.

The rocket team is on such a thin strip of real estate. It's beyond easy to simply fall off or have teammates literally push you off. This needs to be at least 2 "lanes" wide so to speak. I would also, if it's not between buildings, add some props on either end (read suggestion below for locating it).

The Besra team as I said has complete freedom of movement. Few things here. One of which is that is incredible difficult to locate the platform. Part of it is because it's so thin. The other part is related to the location, which corresponds to game play. IMO you need to relocate this, it would solve a number of problems up front. I think if you select something in the city (around the Arcadius Business Center perhaps), somewhere that features buildings on either side for protection. This lets the aerial team better locate their opponents and likewise will provide defense from either side (because you can easily blind side them as is from either direction).

Regarding the weaponry in comparison to the vehicle choice. IMO it just doesn't work. With real freedom of movement (even if some restrictions are applied), an RPG isn't an adequate defense against a Besra. I think if you were going to keep the Besra, perhaps try something like a mini-gun (dot them all along the containers and do so neatly, no troll pick-ups right on the edge). Another option is if you want to keep the RPG, select a slower vehicle for the aerial team - maybe like a Mallard.

Last thing I can think of to comment on is the starting points. Remember to place them evenly and properly on the containers. As it is now, there are a few that are RIGHT on the edge allowing you to easily fall off even before the match has begun.

So in closing, I think if you rethink this a bit and work on it with these suggestions (also address previous ones like needing protection from above), you could have a very popular AND successful take on something that is a bit of a cult classic.

Edited by G37
  • Like 1

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

a lot of suggestions here to take in lol. before i make changes i'll just throw out my opinion things.

-i considered adding a wall on either side of the platform but i assume rpg team would just hug the wall when a plane comes in and it would be almost impossible to hit them.

-it is actually quite difficult to hit ur targets with ur plane without killing urself as i found out during the tests, so idk just how imbalanced the rpg is. i actually thought it would be easier to rpg the planes than to hit people with ur plane, especially on approach when ur flying basically in a straight line at them.

-i tried to put this in the same type of location as the others but i did find it a bit cluttered and get lost a bit in the plane, i was considering moving everything out to say, trever's airfield so it's more open and u'd see the landing strip to guide you.

-i will add another layer to the platform, no arguments there

-the spawnpoints and pickups are close tot he edge bc it kept telling me i can't stack them so i had to do the placement trick to get them there, if u have a better way of getting the spawnpoints more into the platform that would be great.

-i couldn't actually test the speed at which the besra comes in at the rpg team in testing so i'll consider the mallard. i'd still like to keep the rockets

this job is now just called "Rockets VS Planes"

i have tried my best to account for many of the suggestions offered.

-location moved to arcadius area

-plethora of crates in a cage formation all around to allow only 2 access points to fly in

-there are still no walls on either end but there are crates back a bit to not allow side attacks

-2 lanes of crates for the rocket team

-spawnpoints and rocket pickups now a bit more away from the edges

-plane changed to Velum because of it's retractable wheels. Mallard proved to be too difficult in testing due to its small hanging wheels

-plane spawn is beyond rocket's range

• Like 1

i don't seem to have very good aim with the planes, it was tough for me to just finish the testing lol. but lemme know how it plays out if u try it.

i backed the starting point for the planes back farther than initially, they take a while to get moving and i don't wanna see them taken out b4 they get off the ground

What doesn't help with these kind of creations is Rockstars limitations on where you can place objects. If we had free range over where we could stack an object or starting point it would be a lot easier to create.

Would it be better to use a large open area like LSIA as the arena. If you placed the containers in a formation so one plane can't take out more than one person at once by either kamikaze into the container or by hitting the person. 

I like the minigun and besra idea although you would need at least 2 pick ups per person on the container.

I know the glitch needed in order to place starting points on the containers. You need to place a single container then after getting the start point on the container you then need to place a second container to make sure the start point is no longer on edge. Very fiddly to do which is why I've never successfully created a job in this style.

If you're struggling with the testing of the mission you can change the starting weapon without having to retest the mission. When testing have it set to owned weapons, this will make it easy to kill the enemy using guns in the test stage, you can then change it to forced when publishing.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...