How do you come up with names?

ScottyB

For the most part, names are easy enough to come up. If you're using a certain vehicle, part of the map or have specific captures, you can come up with a simple and catchy name.

I'm finding it a bit difficult to come up with names now, especially for races. I could easily call it the area and GP, but that's getting old now.

How do you come up with fun and exciting names for your jobs?

scottyb1988.jpg

This is probably one area, in general (not necessarily applying to our stuff) that needs the most work from creators. It's just sloppy. You put effort into making a solid track and then just give up or pay no attention to the little details here. It really annoys me.

Just like creating a track or a deathmatch for example, I generally use the area I'm interested in as the source of inspiration for the description and title as well. I also stop and think maybe how a location or particular characteristics about it can influence a title/description. Maybe an iconic road there or a tricky chicane here can play off of how certain vehicle classes behave, really, the opportunities there are endless if you're really looking. I'm after stand out names, memorable ones. I'm also not a fan of using cliche phrases, descriptors, nouns or adjectives. It's been done to death, literally.

Once in a while I have a plan or a theme in mind beforehand that I start building toward. Miami Horror and my Project Series are two examples. Music is obviously an important thing in most of our lives and some tracks from the game that I enjoy serve as a baseline for the creative thought. Tying it together into a track is the tricky part without simply overlaying it so I do spend quite a bit of time processing that and relating it all together (most of the time it's lofty and might only make sense to me).

Other times the title/description come dead last for me. I'll make a course in an area I like suited toward a particular class and go from there. Controllo Stabilita came about because I originally wanted a track suited for the Turismo. There's a lot of sweeping bends and tight corners and traction control came to my mind. From there I realized the Turismo is a Grotti vehicle, a parody of Ferarri. Ferarri is Italian and their term for the technology was Controllo Stabilita.

Bringing it full circle just elevates the job that much higher IMO. It's the difference between a good creation and a great one.

Edited by G37
  • Like 1

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

Title and description are the hardest things for me to come up with.  They are usually done last unless I had the idea planned from start to finish before even signing into the creator.  I'm lazy.  All of my jobs are named after the area or vehicle.  I'm just not creative with that sort of stuff.  :lol:

I try to come up with catchy names. my descriptions are usually pretty stale. But lately Ive been struggling with everything in the Creator.

Dodgeservice.png

I like words and playing around with their meanings and sounds. However, I rarely apply this to job names and descriptions, opting instead to write down whatever random silliness comes into my head. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's clever, oftentimes it's utter shite. I'm not sure how many people read the descriptions anyway.

• Like 1

I usually find it easy enough to come up with a description. Once you have a title it kind of writes itself. I may start to think of random names and see how it goes. The problem is I find it hard if I can't relate it to the track.

For example, there are a lot of animal name GP tracks, like the verified cheetah GP. What does that have to do with a race track? Well I guess it could be fast and aggressive like a cheetah? I guess it works :) looks like I have found some new ways to name tracks :P

scottyb1988.jpg

my names are always basic and boring lol i mainly struggle with the descriptions, im too worried about it sounding stupid

nicolabellamy77.png