PvP vs Co-Op

ScottyB

This is my first online game and the majority of the game modes are geared toward PvP. The missions seem a bit poorly made for a good co op experience, but the heists and survival aren't too bad if you like that stuff, although again, I don't think they are that well made. (More about that below)

Most of the jobs we do are team based which makes them a combination of co-op and PvP and this is my favourtie style of online gaming.

The reason I think the co-op modes are flawed in this game is because of the way the npcs spawn in and attack you. Even once you have cleared your way through a building, they spawn in behind or in front of you from no where. They also have ridiculous accuracy, power and range, no matter the weapon they have and rolling doesn't help avoid bullets like in PvP styles.

This all takes away from the realism of it, which makes it far less enjoyable. Everything is exactly the same all the time so once you have done it a few times you know exactly what happens.

Heists and survivals are a bit better with the spawn issues, but still not as good as I would hope for.

PvP is great because you're playing against some one that is able to think and move in an unpredictable way. It becomes a lot more tactical and challenging and can be made a lot better if you work well together as a team (like head to heads).

Have you played other co-op games? Are they much better than gta or are they all similar?

What do you prefer and why? I'm really looking forward to hearing both sides of the story and seeing how everyone feels about each style of online gameplay.

scottyb1988.jpg

I do missions almost exclusively 

I'm just not really a big fan of pvp as I like working as a team much more than harming other folks even in pixel form :P

• Like 1

This is my first online game too. I prefer TDM's to heists/missions and regular DMs, I like being part of a team (I'm hopeless on my own) and I like going up against another human team (which may have a member as weak as me). It's the best of both worlds, PvP in a co-op stylee.

• Like 1

I do missions almost exclusively

I'm just not really a big fan of pvp as I like working as a team much more than harming other folks even in pixel form :P

Do you play any other co op online games? Who do they compare to GTA?

To me, the co op against npcs gets boring as it is predictable and there isn't as much need for any kind of tactic. It ends up more of a pre determined and learned path you need to take to beat it as quickly and efficiently as possible.

When your playing against other real people (team deathmatches for example, still co op but against players), the people aren't predictable, and everyone acts in a different manner to which you need to adapt and counter attack. If you get really into it, you can learn proper military style tactics and manoeuvres to work effectively as a team to beat your opponent.

I guess I want to understand what the big appeal is towards fighting the npcs, compared to fighting players? I do enjoy it every now and then, but as I said in the op, it is very repetitive and not really a challenge when comparing it to PvP.

The ultimate thing would be proper co op missions, with npcs replaced by players. It would be hard to balance skill level but would be much more enjoyable when done right.

Edited by ScottyB88

scottyb1988.jpg

Ye I've been playing online games since they first started, and I've just never been big into pvp in any of them.

Yes npc's can get repetitive, however, for example in gta online missions, the reward is much greater (rp, $ and social interaction) by playing as a team and not necessarily getting it done as fast as possible.

By riding in cars together, turning in the objectives, etc you boost your pay for the mission so there is more to them than just spray your mg...also the longer the missions take the more payout.

I guess it is just that I feel very bad when playing against people and I get a kill so I often will just let myself get killed...I don't see the reason to "better" myself by fighting against real people when we should all be working together to achieve higher goals.

Just playing with people and not against anyone is my main goal in games, pvp has become the focus of almost every type of game but what about good old fun games where you worked with your buddies instead of against them, it seems that co op communities are much more tight knit and friendly than those focused on stretching out their e-dick.

Only other game I played online was COD for about twenty minutes, in that time I got cursed out in French and tea bagged twice, thus ending my COD career.

Before joining this crew I would only play missions and heists, the only PvP stuff I did was racing or some free roam stuff. Since joining however I only really enjoy the TDM type stuff as fighting AI just seems dull. It all comes down to who you're playing with rather than the activity I think.

• Like 4

I've only really played PvP for a long period of time.  I've done a couple of co-op games, but not enough to have an opinion.  GTA is my first online game on PS3, so it's what I am accustomed to doing.

Being a competitive gamer, PvP obviously suits my style of gaming, but I do host and join the occasional co-op job... Depending on my mood and the company, it can be just as fun as getting a 15 killstreak in a TDM.

Edited by DavidCore89

Missions and Survivals in GTAO are far to repetitive and easy for my taste, I find little challenge in them. Yeah, you can work as a team to get it done but there is very few things I can't do on my own. Knowing that I really don't need anyone to complete the task takes alot of fun out of it for me.

I suck at most of the PvP things in this game, but I know I can't win a TDM on my own, and there is far more people to interact with considering up to 30 in PvP vs 4 in Co-Op

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

Before joining this crew I would not play any PvP aspects of the game. I did my thing in freeroam and did missions.

I feelt it less stressful, and a mission with npc I could predict and redo if needed.

Now I never do anything but PvP, except modding cars and being in the creator.

I love the competitive aspect and the unpredictable. And I enjoy doing all this with you all.

I enjoy both modes.

Black OPs and the Gears of War series were my first PvP games. GoW also had Horde mode which is like survival and that was really fun. Modern Warfare had some co-op stuff but I don't remember if it was great or not.

What I like about GTA is it gives you the option to play with others vs NPCs, play with others vs other people, or you can play with yourself. GTA is unique because of all the different things it offers.

I prefer PvP as a whole.  As it has been mentioned, I don't like the fact that NPCs become too predictable and that most pure co-op game modes more or less start and end the same provided you don't die or fail.  That's not to say that I don't enjoy co-op modes from time-to-time--especially if a good group is present, but I'd much rather face human opponents and engage in something a bit less predictable.  I love team deathmatches, captures, and LTS and I agree they are a good PvP/co-op hybrid.  I hate racing against NPCs in video games--it's incredibly boring in my opinion, so I love the PvP aspect of racing in this game where you are able to engage in close, friendly/competitive battles on the track with others.

I haven't really played any other games online, so I really can't say I have an opinion when it comes to other co-op games.

As for heists though--once I do the CM Challenge, I'm done for good.  I've already ran them once and thought there were fun, but these types of game modes are not something I can do over and over again on an extended basis.  I will still do missions and survivals every now and then because they aren't overly time consuming and can be a good change of pace, but I also have a competitive side to my personality and I'd much rather race or participate in TDMs.

I still really enjoy all game modes. I never grinded contact missions or over played survivals so I still enjoy them. TDMs and races with the crew are still fun and a tough test as the crew is highly skilled.

Recently I have been enjoying racing randoms and I've been doing well which means all the racing with crew has improved my driving. Even the randoms who try to crash me I can usually eventually pass and leave in the dust. TDMs against randoms is mostly a no-go because of the types of TDMs randoms like to play. I'll join a TDM when Handcuff Charlie hosts though.

I try hosting crew races but it's hard to get randoms to join. Sometimes I'll host a Disasterpiece or Scouring the Projects in the hopes I can get some randoms to rage quit. :lol::P

I prefer PVP to Co-Op. Heists are a much better definition of "co-op" though as missions you can just as easily do alone on any single one of them.

My personal problem with missions is how mundane and repetitive they are. What's worse is they have the SAME result. Every. Single. Time. There's no satisfaction in it for me outside of doing it once to say I did it and the occasional break up of jobs between racing/TDM/capture/LTS/Adversary sessions.

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

I'm more of a co-op player. Even when I used to play Gears of war online I liked I played split screen with my either my brother or friend Aaron and we usually played deathmatch and we usually ended up on the same team so it still felt like a co-op. In GTA I prefer the pvp but I still enjoy the jobs where its like the crew vs randoms. We have played RvsI and they seem to be more fun when its like that

tumblr_m8l94nfFrG1r5jta4o6_500.gif

One day the sadness will end.

This is what I expected from the majority of people here.

One thing that wasn't directly answered, has any one else played other online co op games? If so, how does it compare to GTA?

I guess (besides the online part), story mode is very similar to playing against NPCs. Most games seem to play out pretty well, but I can't compare them to PvP on their online side so it's hard to tell how repetitive and predictable it is.

I do always remember figuring out the correct path through certain areas where you need to stay quiet and not alert the enemy's. I play them mostly for the story line and get really into them so I'm not as concerned with the other things. Most games seem to offer enough variance (like 2 or 3 different routes that a NPC will take), making them less predictable which is good. It's one thing GTA doesn't do, and would be great if they could.mfor example, imagine if you couldn't predict that the car would spawn in at the same location each time. They should have multiple set points for each event to take place to it makes a larger number of different ways it could play out. It would still end up a little repetitive but be a lot more variable and would be more exciting for longer.

As Jalj said, I much prefer working with you guys against other members, like in head to heads, but sadly it rarely plays out like that when job hopping.

scottyb1988.jpg

One thing that wasn't directly answered, has any one else played other online co op games? If so, how does it compare to GTA?

Compared to Destiny the Co-op in GTA needs some help. The missions are still linear, however it is far more detailed and if you are doing missions at or above your level then having a team is a huge help. On that note the PvP of Destiny really lacks variety, very Call of Duty like IMO.

• Like 2

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

Ye I've been playing online games since they first started, and I've just never been big into pvp in any of them.

Yes npc's can get repetitive, however, for example in gta online missions, the reward is much greater (rp, $ and social interaction) by playing as a team and not necessarily getting it done as fast as possible.

By riding in cars together, turning in the objectives, etc you boost your pay for the mission so there is more to them than just spray your mg...also the longer the missions take the more payout.

I guess it is just that I feel very bad when playing against people and I get a kill so I often will just let myself get killed...I don't see the reason to "better" myself by fighting against real people when we should all be working together to achieve higher goals.

Just playing with people and not against anyone is my main goal in games, pvp has become the focus of almost every type of game but what about good old fun games where you worked with your buddies instead of against them, it seems that co op communities are much more tight knit and friendly than those focused on stretching out their e-dick.

Get Battlefield 4 instead, even with a mic players are 95% quiet.