Backyard Transformation (with pictures)

Jaggy

Now that my backyard is done, you all no longer have to hear me whining and complaining about how ugly it was.  Not like any of you really cared anyway because you didn't have to look at that eye sore everyday.   :lol:

Our yards are fairly small in Las Vegas compared to others around the country/world.  We had a blank canvas to start with since our home was new construction.

BEFORE:

Before_zpsfevwrhtr.jpg

Before3_zpsiytucv5g.jpg

Before1_zpsybjacnln.jpg

See?  SUPER FUGLY!  I had to live with this disaster for almost three years.  Where's my award for patience and tolerance?

AFTER:

Finished_zpspme5awxo.jpg

Finished2_zps04jijhfm.jpg

Finished4_zpsxjc6d8oy.jpg

Finished3_zpsz13vuygl.jpg

Now I get to go patio furniture shopping!!  Since we are in the desert, we opted for a smaller patch of grass.  It's about 400 sq ft worth, super low maintenance.  We have 7 trees and miscellaneous shrubs and flowers.  I wish it was a little cooler out so we could enjoy our new yard even more.  The landscaper was nice and gave the girls their own patio & trees for their playhouse.  The trees in front of the playhouse bloom really pretty pink flowers in the spring.

• Like 9

Looks very nice.

Artificial grass. 100% no maintenance

It's real.  :)

Artificial grass isn't that great.  It gets too hot in the sun, and if you have dogs, the grass will star to smell like piss on hot days.

• Like 1

Looks great LV & Torrid.

I've heard that the fake grass looks & feels very realistic nowadays however it gets insanely hot even in temps in the 80s F. Like 140 degrees F in the 80s! In Las Vegas temps your kids wouldn't be able to play on it. :(  While not ideal for your climate, real grass is the way to go for your kids.

• Like 1

Hot damn, it looks great Jag, but Im just loving that grey color on your guy's house lol.... The darker grey on the door frame and white on the window makes it really pop! I want a grey house now hahaha

• Like 1

tumblr_m8l94nfFrG1r5jta4o6_500.gif

One day the sadness will end.

I bet you can hear your neighbor fart! :P

Nice improvement!

:lol:

You really don't hear much.  Unless everyone has their windows open and TV's on full blast.  I'll hear the neighbor's TV if I'm in the backyard.  Their living room window is near our gate.  But it's really not a big deal.  It's usually one of their kid's playing a video game.   :lol:

We have some really cool neighbor's.  The ones to the west of us always grill some of the best smelling foods ever.  The ones on the right (near our gate) are renters and grill out on occasion too.  Fairly quiet people.  Living like this is quite normal in the southwest.  When I first moved to Phoenix from Wisconsin, my first thought was, "OMG, these houses are TOO close to each other!"  Then we moved to Las Vegas and noticed it was the same thing.  If you were visiting,  you'd notice we really aren't that close to each other.  Southern California is the same way.  It's just builders squeezing as many houses as possible onto land.  A smaller yard is cool with me.

Edit to add:  I know my neighbor's can hear me yelling at my TV in the spring/fall while playing GTA.

Edited by LV_Jag

Thanks everyone! Yeah it was a long time coming. We kept putting it off but was kind of surprised how affordable the whole thing was in the end. Either way it's awesome to finally have it done.

• Like 1

Nicely done. I assume Jag did everything and Torrid sat on his ass during the whole ordeal. But well done anyway. 

He did.  He even made the kids work too.  :lol:

• Like 1

What size lawn tractor is Torrid going to get for that vast expanse of grass?

• Like 1

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

Probably gonna need something like this:

ac6036bd618525fd80d9c32bb2f5f509.jpg

Nice backyard, hopefully those trees grow fast, so you get some shade too.

Good guess!

• Like 1

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

I bet you can hear your neighbor fart! :P

Nice improvement!

City living! I'm in a block of units, at the bottom and you get to hear whenever they flush the toilets because the pipes run through our bathroom. Dont you miss it! Our neighbours, who live in the house next door (about as close as they are in Jags photo, are super noisy! always fighting and screaming at each other, their kid, and their dogs carry on all the time. Such a lovely relaxing place to be!

Those before photos, are well, the desert! haha, we have at least soil on the ground usually :P Now you have no where to bury G!

Looks so much better now. It makes a massive difference to have something nice to look at as opposed to a dry barren backyard. I'm sure your kids will love it too!

Good luck furniture shopping! It is a lot of fun but can be expensive so think of all the hard work torrid will have to do to pay for it :P

• Like 1

scottyb1988.jpg

The landscapers didn't dig deep enough to find all of the bodies.  :P

We do have a vast open desert just outside of our subdivision.  We're surrounded still.  I'm sure there's a few bodies out there.  Back in the mob days, I'm sure they drove out this way to dump some people.  I try not to think about it.  :lol:

Living like this is quite normal in the southwest.  When I first moved to Phoenix from Wisconsin, my first thought was, "OMG, these houses are TOO close to each other!"  Then we moved to Las Vegas and noticed it was the same thing.  If you were visiting,  you'd notice we really aren't that close to each other.  Southern California is the same way.  It's just builders squeezing as many houses as possible onto land.  A smaller yard is cool with me.

Edit to add:  I know my neighbor's can hear me yelling at my TV in the spring/fall while playing GTA.

Our builing code means a standard house can be built from around 450-900mm off the boundary depending on the material and specific council regulations. That would be about 1 foot and a half to 3 feet.

Some suburbs in the inner city are all attached and all share a common wall! This is how is is for most of the properties in London.. Crazy! 

scottyb1988.jpg

Your house is really small, but I like the white trim.

• Like 1

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing - General Dwight Eisenhower Allied Supreme Commander WWII