PS3 Performance

silenttigercd

Since buying my PS3 and GTA V this time last year I've noticed the performance diminish. The frame rate often noticeably drops, obstacles, and sometimes buildings, have been appearing when I'm on top of them. Initially the frame rate appeared to only drop when there were lots of other players nearby and we all had a high wanted level with police choppers etc. Now it's happening all the time. Yesterday in the H2H a track had a slalom made out of tyres which didn't spawn until I entered the slalom. This happened on both laps.

Is this happening to everyone else on PS3? I'm aware GTA V pushes last gen consoles to the absolute limit so suspect performance has gradually diminished with each update.

I've tried rebuilding the database and restoring the PS3 through the system menu which hasn't helped. Also, other games on my PS3 play fine so I've ruled out a problem with console and hard drive / file organisation. I've also deleted all the random friends I had accumulated and disabled PSN notifications - this seemed to help temporarily.

I'm considering upgrading to the PS4 but other threads have said the performance isn't noticeably better. Could someone who plays cross platform possibly confirm if this is still the case? I wonder if the last update has just pushed the PS3 over the limit. If not perhaps it's my GTA disk...

It's not your PS3, it's just GTA V in general.  I have the same issues as you with rendering and lag over on the PS3 side.  It's hard for me to even get online and stay connected on the PS3 these days, so I try to avoid it as much as possible.  GTA V will freeze my console up completely sometimes.  Single player works fine though.  The only other game I play on PS3 other than GTA is Red Dead Redemption.  That's an even older game than GTA V and it works so much better.  Never played it online though.  

The PS4 is fine, but again, we sometimes have the same connection issues with GTA V as you all do on the PS3.  They just aren't as often.  All other games work fine on PS4.  I only play a couple other games, but have no issues with them.  

It's worth upgrading.

• Like 1

not that it's any help, but i have experienced the exact same issue. there has definitely been a decline in rendering environments when travelling at high speeds just like in the old games when the disc got all mucked up. but my disc is pretty immaculate, so you're probably right in assuming it's the updates.

at least you're not alone in your suffering. hah.

• Like 1

.B R E A K S T U F F.

I have the same issues, Tiger. Guess it's very common. When it's worst there's no road. Makes racing a bit more challenging. :lol:

• Like 2

At least it's an even playing field if we're all experiencing the same problems. Thanks for the responses. Looks like I'll be making the jump to PS4 sooner than planned.

Same thing happens to me.

Props not loading happen a lot but most of the time things are back to normal by the 2nd lap.

• Like 1

Yep rendering is slow. Quite often I smash into things that only appear after I've crashed. Same for lag in races is getting worse, my screen can freeze for up to 5 seconds before coming good. These thing usually happen near the start of a race, by then the race is ruined as I try to hard to make up for lost time. It lagged 3 times in one race the other day and I got 2nd place.... that's a fair effort unless the winner was lagging out too, but I didn't hear any complaints from them. It was bad enough when lag was just majorly affecting DM's but now it's in lots of races too. I think they want us to update ;) I'm getting old and having the latest gaming console isn't a high priority for me, so to buy one just to play this game that I can already play, which is pretty much the only game I want to play, then I can put up with the issues for a while longer. Anyway the crew is overall getting much better at racing that I don't expect to win at all anymore, I just love the challenge :D

• Like 3

That was happening when I was on PS3, I often had to wait for up to 5 seconds during a race for the landscape to render properly. It's shit and it was one of the main reasons for upgrading.

Join us on PS4 and this problem will be long gone, this has never happened to me since.

I'm considering upgrading to the PS4 but other threads have said the performance isn't noticeably better. Could someone who plays cross platform possibly confirm if this is still the case? I wonder if the last update has just pushed the PS3 over the limit. If not perhaps it's my GTA disk...

Performance is much better, I can run games at 60 FPS and 1080p.

The difference between them is noticed a lot more when you play PS4 and then PS3.

• Like 3

The difference between them is noticed a lot more when you play PS4 and then PS3.

^^^This, whenever I turn on the PS3 the difference is apparent

• Like 1

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

While practicing some races on PS3 last week, the rendering was shockingly slow.  A lot worse than usual.

There were a few occasions when nothing was on my screen.  For a second or two, there was no road, no background, no buildings etc.

It's never been that bad before.  Sometimes in a large lobby with super cars, things will take a little longer to render, but it shouldn't happen in a solo race with muscle cars.  :(

Regarding the performance between the two consoles - When I upgraded to PS4, I didn't really notice a massive difference in performance.  

Sure, everything looked better & there were minimal rendering problems, but I remember not being overly amazed at the time.

After playing for a few months on PS4, then going back to PS3 - Wow - there is a HUGE difference.

The frame rate is the most noticeable thing for me.  It takes one or two races to get used to it, but after that it just feels normal again.  

It's one of those things you probably wont notice too much until you've been on PS4 then switch back to PS3.

Connection issues seem very similar on both consoles tbh.  There always seems to be one or two players that have trouble joining on PS3 & PS4.

Quite often it's the same players each time, so it may have more to do with their connection rather than their console.

If any of you PS3 players are sitting on the fence about upgrading - If you can afford it, then just do it.

When a few of you make the switch, it'll put more pressure on the others to follow.  Can you imagine how cool it'll be for us all to play together.

There'll be no more half full lobbies or empty PL's.  Plus you'll all be able to create new & exciting jobs with extra props & features in the creator. 

Can't wait to see Banksie & Fido go head to head with Desu & DC.  I'd pay money to see that race. (GTA money, not real money)  :lol:

Hope to see you all on PS4 soon.

• Like 3

Does anyone know what causes the rendering speed for online? Will your connection speed affect it or is it to do with the graphics card and processor speed?

Exactly as snacks said, the jump from PS3-4 was very disappointing. Even when I switched back and forth for the first few weeks I didn't care to much for the difference. It's not until you play for a while and try to go back that you notice a massive difference. Mainly the frame rate. I see white lines across the screen on PS3 and it's so terrible.

With the heist update, they added a lot more detail which in turn slowed everything down. It was disappointing but it's the norm now. I never really have issues with objects not spawning in. Sometimes they are a bit slower than others but none of what has been described. LN has had some issues with props not rendering during races and has crashes into them which is why I asked what causes it, if it could be a full hdd or bad internet connection.

Ps4 is obviously going to be a lot better, but in all honesty it was a bit of a disappointment, especially if this Console is meant to last for another 10years.. The draw distance on sniping and seeing planes is terrible, pretty sure it was better on the ps3

• Like 1

scottyb1988.jpg