Country vs City

ScottyB

I don't think I would enjoy living in the country side. It's just too convenient in the city having the range of shops, pubs, cinemas, restaurants etc all fairly close by. The country is somewhere I like to visit, but not live there. Having said that I do live in what is said to be one of the greenest cities in Britain, Sheffield, and we have the Peak District (Hilly area of Derbyshire) right next to us. So for me it's kind of the best of both city and country.

• Like 1

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ScottyB

• Squirrel

• zztop911

• JustHatched

Country is a relative term. I can be in "town" in 15 min. Other than a tiny bar scene, which I don't do anymore, I can get an do most anything I want or need.

If I want to crank my stereo, I make the windows rattle.

If I want to start up my open header race car at midnight, I do it.

If I want to add a circuit to my shop, I knock out a hole in the breaker box. :)

The biggest and best thing about living in the country is the freedom.

• Like 4

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

• 2 weeks later...

Just added my vote and split the polls!

I think a lot of it has to do with your family situation, as a single guy in my mid 30's city centre life is pretty much perfect for me. I have the flexibility to do what I want when I want with anything I could possibly need right on my doorstep 24 hours a day. I can understand why people do prefer a quieter life but I'm not planning on moving out of the centre of town for quite some time.

Out of the city fans on here, how many you actually live in the centre or just an area within the city?

Just added my vote and split the polls!

I think a lot of it has to do with your family situation, as a single guy in my mid 30's city centre life is pretty much perfect for me. I have the flexibility to do what I want when I want with anything I could possibly need right on my doorstep 24 hours a day. I can understand why people do prefer a quieter life but I'm not planning on moving out of the centre of town for quite some time.

Out of the city fans on here, how many you actually live in the centre or just an area within the city?

I don't live in the city centre, that's where the rich 'apartment type people', junkies and prostitutes live  :).

I live on a huge hill overlooking the city, 10 minutes away with quick access... Yeah it's quite a rough place, but not as bad as the city.

All cities I've lived have been like a 2 to 5 minutes away by public transportation from the city centre :)

www.ishare4free.com

Please don't be offended, it's a small piece of my mind that I chose to expose...

A mix is usually good, at least for someone in my situation.

I got playgrounds the kids can walk to.

I got cows, sheep's and horses and forest within walking distance.

I can go outside in my boxers if I want.

I have a 10 min bussride every 30 min to a town that has a 60 minutes trainride every hour to Stockholm.

I never lock our bicycles.

I have pizza and grocery 10 minutes away by car.

Downside is that I drive the car too much. I see the same people if I take a walk. My kids don't get much diversity, pretty homogeneous around here. I miss being able to be a complete strangers. And finally I wish I lived by the sea!

Edited by Lann3

I suppose technically I live on the outskirts of the city, as the green fields and woodland start within a 10 minute walk form me. But I am also only a 20 minute tram or bus ride from the centre as well.

Being in the USA country compared to the UK country is vastly different. Even in the most rural of areas you can still be at a major city within an hour by car. Most of the rural population are probably no more than 30 minutes from a major city.

I'm travelling between cities every day now but at no point will I actually leave an urban area. Both cities are fully integrated. Down side is that no one wants to live in the other city so the traffic is crazy!

I don't live downtown, which is technically our city center, but I'm just a little over a mile away from it.  The Willamette River (pronounced wil-LAM-et) separates the eastern side from the western side--I live on the eastern side and downtown is on the western side.

When I was younger I lived pretty much near the middle of downtown and in a couple of other places on the western side.  It had his pros and cons, but overall, living in the middle of the city center here can easily wear on you after awhile.  Traffic can be a nightmare, finding parking is nearly impossible, it can often be loud, and at times you will either be constantly asked for money by homeless people, solicited by prostitutes, or offered drugs on nearly every corner in the area around the city center.  You pretty much have to avoid making eye contact with anyone--especially at night.  It's not that it's necessarily dangerous--it can be in certain areas, but it's just more annoying than anything.

I actually like where I live in the city now though.  It's relatively quiet--sometimes you will hear police sirens en-route to the areas where criminal activity is common, but it's so much more peaceful and less stressful in comparison to the actual downtown area.