The REAL Los Santos (Pic Heavy)

Jaggy

Torrid & I just got back from a weekend in Los Angeles/Santa Monica.  We went to see the Griffith Observatory, Santa Monica Pier, and Venice Beach.  It was really cool.  It was amazing to see how much detail Rockstar put into the video game.  Obviously there are some difference, but for the most part, it's almost spot on.  Pics will be in spoiler tags for those of you not on a computer.  These are not all of my pictures.  I took about 287 pictures and quite a chunk of those are family pictures.  I'm just sharing some of my favorites.

Hollywood sign as seen from Griffith Park.

SAM_1134_zps25psa60i.jpg

Some pictures from the observatory:

SAM_1130_zpsz7xo35uu.jpg

SAM_1137_zpsqq0rgrdc.jpg

Santa Monica (Del Perro):

SAM_1171_zpsxi87t7x2.jpg

SAM_1180_zpshyyjzusg.jpg

SAM_1183_zpskzelrc5x.jpg

SAM_1197_zpsfkxb8l3z.jpg

SAM_1217_zpskf4yxj08.jpg

SAM_1213_zpsoid0ze6a.jpg

SAM_1231_zps0slurdws.jpg

SAM_1237_zpsqb3gfni1.jpg

SAM_1235_zpsytz6v5cn.jpg

• Like 15

Venice Beach (Vespucci)

SAM_1331_zpskkc5nwxy.jpg

SAM_1341_zpsvbqavafg.jpg

SAM_1356_zpsgdxxbvnx.jpg

SAM_1351_zpshewraurk.jpg

SAM_1370_zpsblu4d7rw.jpg

Venice Canals

98011c95-5f17-4931-b794-b80cd24322c0_zps

fec2a8b1-9980-43a9-9ad3-5daa86264a98_zps

I have a lot more.  If there's anything specific you want to see, I probably have the picture.  Just ask.   :D

• Like 6

Very nice LV. I grew up in SoCal and sometimes playing the game is like visiting home but without the real life traffic jams.

R* didn't just get the obvious stuff right though, they got the details correct down to the way the pavement looks, ages and how it looks when they patch it.

The morning fog from the Pacific Ocean and the way the light is under freeway overpasses. The unremarkable ranch houses and apartment buildings become remarkable because they got the details right.

Please post more photos if you can. Also do you have any plans to try to recreate your photos in-game and do a side by side comparison?

• Like 2

Do you have a picture of when we accidentally killed all those hookers on the beach... Wait a minute, these are real photos! 

They must've done alot of research, the game is spot on.

Hope you had a great holiday (vacation to you :P)

• Like 1

Very nice LV. I grew up in SoCal and sometimes playing the game is like visiting home but without the real life traffic jams.

R* didn't just get the obvious stuff right though, they got the details correct down to the way the pavement looks, ages and how it looks when they patch it.

The morning fog from the Pacific Ocean and the way the light is under freeway overpasses. The unremarkable ranch houses and apartment buildings become remarkable because they got the details right.

Please post more photos if you can. Also do you have any plans to try to recreate your photos in-game and do a side by side comparison?

I wanted to recreate a lot of them, but it was cloudy & windy our entire trip.  The sky started to clear up a bit on Saturday afternoon after a storm rolled through.  I'm hoping whenever we make it back to recreate a lot of pictures.  I really wanted to get a picture of the Santa Monica pier at sunset, but the weather was not being nice.  There was so much sand being blown around that I was afraid of it ruining my camera too.  Since you grew up there, I don't know how often windy conditions like that happen, but it was a mess.  Gusts were up to 50mph.  

I'll add some more pictures after lunch.  I have some really amazing ones where the waves are crashing into the rocks on Venice Beach.  Also got a picture of two cop cars parked on the ocean walk.  It reminded me of GTA when the cops are after you.  :lol:  I wish they had their lights on for the added effect.

What I meant was are you going to recreate the real photos you took with game ones. It's probably easier that way.

It's almost always windy at the beaches but not so windy that sand is blowing around to the point you fear for your camera. L.A. has regular conditions known as the Santa Ana winds (or the Santa Ana's) they normally are during fall & winter but can happen all year. They are typically warm and dry winds that come from inland areas. Those winds can help create good surf though!

• Like 1

What I meant was are you going to recreate the real photos you took with game ones. It's probably easier that way.

It's almost always windy at the beaches but not so windy that sand is blowing around to the point you fear for your camera. L.A. has regular conditions known as the Santa Ana winds (or the Santa Ana's) they normally are during fall & winter but can happen all year. They are typically warm and dry winds that come from inland areas. Those winds can help create good surf though!

Yeah, I can recreate some pictures that way.  :)

There was a cold front moving through on Saturday and I think that's what made things worse.  It looked like a mini dust storm at one point while we were walking to Venice.  After it rained a little bit, things cleared up.  We only saw one guy trying to surf when we were walking across the Venice Pier or whatever the correct name is for it.

It really was awesome to see how dead on everything is.  The police station on the beach that is the largest building in the Vespucci death match was really cool to see.  The winds were coming in from the sea which seemed to be doing a great job of moving as much sand as possible into the city.

The rollercoaster was dead on as well with the track setup.  It was really cool to get to ride it in real life.

• Like 1

These photos could be used for a cool weekly crew challenge. Pick some of them (5-10) and have members try to re-create them in-game. Perhaps you even have some that are not so obvious as to where were they taken or what's on them.

Then have a small jury judge which set of photos is the best/closest re-creation, including any cars on the photos etc...

• Like 5

While you were at Vespucci Beach, did you ask the local residents how to get that Micro SMG out of that giant graffiti structure? Or perhaps you mentioned to them you had a deathmatch that ran through those shops and shit, yes?

• Like 6

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

While you were at Vespucci Beach, did you ask the local residents how to get that Micro SMG out of that giant graffiti structure? Or perhaps you mentioned to them you had a deathmatch that ran through those shops and shit, yes?

When I saw that huge building with the shops, I said, "OMG that's the building I used for my Beach Front Killers TDM!!!"  There were a lot of homeless and drugged out people along Venice.  That was the only downside.  Most people were too scary to talk to.  :lol:

• Like 1

WOW awesome pics, i feel like i've already been there myself lol

www.ishare4free.com

Please don't be offended, it's a small piece of my mind that I chose to expose...