• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pb76

• Beez

• JALJ

• Burgermauger

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy crap I don't think I've ever seen a pic of Joe satriani with hair lol him and Steve Via are my all time favorite guitar instrumentalist. For the love of god by Steve Vai is a fucking masterpiece

• Like 1

tumblr_m8l94nfFrG1r5jta4o6_500.gif

One day the sadness will end.

Im more of a dilettante when it comes to 80's rock bands (im more of a new wave guy) but you cannot deny the awesome, spectacular rock music that came out during the 80's...

Like from these two fellas

jeff-beck.jpg

8c4a5bb77985186851ba2affcbdc1806.jpg

That last one is one of those you either know him and his band or you dont lol

(i thought i knew how to do the spoiler thing but i guess not lol)

Edited by JALJ

the rock is strong in you PB lol....

Jeff Beck, underrated musician for sure, when ever i mention him to anyone, they always assume im talking about Beck, the blonde dude who got upstaged by Kanye a few months ago. 

That second guy is from a band whose name is taken from the bible. 

Heres a picture of 2 very good musicians in their own right. 

scott_and_cliff-630x420.jpg

Edited by JALJ
  • Like 1

Beez FTW! Ive met Scott Ian before, such a cool dude, really down to earth. Cliff Burton's bass playing is legendary, him and Les Claypool's redefined to me what bass players can do and mean to a band. 

Heres a little contrast, two very different yet very talented songwriters i admire a lot.

213978d8ac2825e99b3bae8c62867c83.jpg

280-dennis-deyoung-extralarge.jpg

Edited by JALJ

Cliff Burton's bass playing is legendary,

I disagree.

Metallica is my fav ever, but the only reason Cliff got his fame was due to his death IMO. Awesome bassist, no doubt but I don't see him as being a ground breaker like Claypool.

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

I was thinking exodus at first for the biblically named band, but is it actually testament?

And.......

Styx! I can't remember his name though...

Edited by Pb76

I disagree.

Metallica is my fav ever, but the only reason Cliff got his fame was due to his death IMO. Awesome bassist, no doubt but I don't see him as being a ground breaker like Claypool.

Yeah i agree that his death made him legendary because we only got a small sample of what was perceived as a young talent in a young and promising band.  Les is a better player and more of an innovator than Cliff and if we want to talk 80's bass players, i think its hard to argue against Steve Harris of Iron maiden not being the true innovator but I think what makes him legendary is that music that came out during that era (especially that bay area thrash metal scene) you notice that the bass player almost always sits in the back of mixes and most of the time you cant even hear them. Alot of Cliff's riffs are front and center and he comes at you hard. Songs like Orion and For whom the bell tolls makes it hard to ignore the talent. I mean could you imagine Kill em All or Master of Puppets without that energy Cliff brought?

But ultimately you're right, his death made him into symbol of what could of been as opposed to what he really was. 

• Like 1

Yes Dennis DeYoung! Alot of people like to think Styx isnt "rock" because of their more "pop" sound of the 80's like Mr. Roboto (which Deyoung wrote lol) but i dare anyone to listen to Paradise Theatre and The Grand Illusion and not be truly impressed. I used to be one of those people but then i got Paradise Theatre on vynil at  yard sale a few years ago and i changed my mind real quick haha

And yes it is Testament. Thats Mr. Chuck Billy, lead singer of Testament who are still out there touring and making albums. 

And that other chap is a songwriter and guitarist from a seattle rock band in the 1990's.

I was thinking exodus at first for the biblically named band, but is it actually testament?

And.......

Styx! I can't remember his name though...

I saw Exodus and Testament at the same show!

And that other chap is a songwriter and guitarist from a seattle rock band in the 1990's.

Jerry Cantrell?

Edited by Beez620
  • Like 2

You got to see Exodus and Testament?! At the same show?!  : VOMIT :

Thats so freaking awesome....its funny but when i first found out about Exodus, i was introduced to Testament like a couple days later so Ive always associated them because of that lol

Yup, Jerry Cantrell of Alice in Chains. First time i listened to their album "Dirt"  it literally changed my life! Ive always thought of them as more of a progressive hard rock band but because they came out of seattle in the 90's i think they always have that association to grunge which i dont think does them justice. 

Yeah, I'm used to seeing him bald, lol

I am now......

Btw, Jason Becker's life story is heartbreaking but heartwarming at the same time

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Cliff Burton and Les Claypool, two great Bass players. Two different styles, two different Genres, hell, Primus are their own Genre. Comparing the two is silly.

Les is amazing at what he does but when it come to Thrash Metal, no one comes close to Cliff Burton on the Bass.

I know, I know, Opinions are like A holes.