English from around the world

ScottyB

Each country has their own slang and meanings for certain words.

Post up a phrase or word that is commonly misinterpreted by foreigners and let the next person guess it!

Ill start with something that is common to say in Australia which I caught myself saying the other day and figured most of you wouldnt know haha.

Phrase - Off Chops

In a sentence - You're off chops. (add a few profanities to make it sound more Aussie haha)

Anyone know what it means? :P

• Like 1

scottyb1988.jpg

I'm embarrassed.  Being an Aussie, I should know this, but I've never heard it before.  (we sometimes have slightly different sayings in different states though)

Does it mean something like "you're crazy-sick-twisted-a bit different"?

EDIT.

I know the phrase "going off his/her chops" which normally refers to someone who's having a rant or yelling at someone else.

Typical Aussie conversation would be, "Did you see Stevo?  He was going off his chops at Davo for sleepin' with his missus"

EDIT 2.

Just asked my daughter.  She said they use it to describe someone who is drunk, stoned or just not acting normal.

For example: "Sarah was so off chop the other night, I don't know what her problem was."

Edited by no_snacks
  • Like 3

Ive learned that Fanny means something completely different in Europe, than it does here in 'Murica.  :lol:

Uh oh, here come the Fanny Jokes!

• Like 8

Dodgeservice.png

I learned dood isn't necessarily an off-shoot of "dude".

One word that really annoys me is "bae". I absolutely despise people using it as a derivative of "babe" or term of endearment, makes my skin crawl. Kinda funny what you're calling your significant other in a different language :lol:.

Let's see, what else. This one's pretty stupid but I do it all the time. The word "shit". You all know what it means and what you're saying when you say something is "shit". Now when you start using it as an objective personal pronoun, it gets interesting (I.E. using the term as an object signifying anything other than what it defines). Example: "I have shit to do" or "Get off my shit".

Edited by G37
  • Like 1

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

I learned dood isn't necessarily an off-shoot of "dude".

One word that really annoys me is "bae". I absolutely despise people using it as a derivative of "babe" or term of endearment, makes my skin crawl. Kinda funny what you're calling your significant other in a different language :lol:.

Let's see, what else. This one's pretty stupid but I do it all the time. The word "shit". You all know what it means and what you're saying when you say something is "shit". Now when you start using it as an objective personal pronoun, it gets interesting (I.E. using the term as an object signifying anything other than what it defines). Example: "I have shit to do" or "Get off my shit".

Dood, what kind of shit are you on?

: SHOUT :

2 out of 3 aint bad...

• Like 1

Dodgeservice.png

To add to the "shit" comment.  I realize that I add, "and shit" after almost everything I say.  One time, I was talking about an education show that my daughter watches.  I said, "It teaches you things like math and shit."  Not really sure why I need to add that at the end of sentences.  It's a bad habit that I probably picked up from one of you.  However, it doesn't mean I need to use the restroom after learning math.  :lol:

• Like 6

One I learned is not used in other countries is "in the hole"

I made the comment a bit back in the shoutbox that I was "In the hole to Dani" and she had no idea what I meant, it means to owe someone something, usually money.

• Like 4

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

While at the end of a glorious 3 day  liberty in Melbourne, I had a beautiful redhead tell me that I should most certainly  "knock her up"  upon my return.

That made for a quite awkward moment.

• Like 3

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

Somerset we have several but the most common is "Halbeyawn?" ( it's quite had to spell :/ haha) pronounced "Hal - be - yarrrrn"

@FRMJ1 - Never heard of "grockle" before.  We call them "rubber necks" here in Oz, because they're always looking left & right at all the attractions etc.  :lol:

@Dodge - As well as "fanny" having a different meaning to the US, don't forget about "thong".  I wear them nearly everyday because it's so hot here. In fact, I'm wearing some nice leather ones right now.  :D

@G - Couldn't find the alt meaning for "dood".  Now I need to know what it is.

@Hatch - "in the red" is common for owing money, but never heard of "in the hole". 

@ZZTop - What's her address, mate.  It's only 20 hours drive from here.  Gotta take what you can get at our age.  :lol:

Heard this for the first time a couple days ago.  "gunt"  Not sure if it's just an Aussie word or not.

My wife was chatting to a few friends the other day.  They kept mentioning it.

When she asked them what it meant, she nearly pissed herself laughing.   :D

Edited by no_snacks
  • Like 2

no_snacks 

I wished that I had returned to take her up on her offer. She was the most beautiful redhead that I had/have ever seen.  And the normal redhead craziness didn't reveal itself during those three days!

Oh the mistakes of youth!

• Like 2

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

The slang around here is pretty basic. Just add the letter r at the third or last letter of a word. E.x. Bringr car yornder an wer'll warsh it. Out loud it sounds ridiculous. We struggle enough to get a complete sentence out so forget hip slang phrases.

• Like 3

@no_snacks - "rubber necks" here are those people who try and view the aftermath of a traffic accident and the cause of many secondary accidents because they're too busy "gawking"* to see what's happened instead of watching where they're going. (*there's another one that has different meanings.)

I don't know where but I've heard "gunt" before, I had to look it up to remind myself what it meant and promptly realised (SPELT WITH a 'S' !!!!) why it's not a word commonly used although there's plenty about!

@Scotty - funny video. it reminds me of when I was still into clubbing (nothing to do with cute seals but going to night clubs); a friends American friends were over, one of them was called Randy and we were p1$$ing ourselves laughing every time he introduced himself to a girl with "Hi, I'm Randy".

@dodge - hope you didn't find out what fanny meant the embarrassing way!

Edited by FRMJ1
  • Like 1

Rhode Island in the USA has a few isolated terms:

Bubbler = drinking water fountain, pronounced "buhbblah"

Grinder = large sandwich on a torpedo roll, pronounced "griyndah"

Cabinet = milk shake, pronounced "kahbnit"

• Like 1

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing - General Dwight Eisenhower Allied Supreme Commander WWII

Rhode Island in the USA has a few isolated terms:

Bubbler = drinking water fountain, pronounced "buhbblah"

Grinder = large sandwich on a torpedo roll, pronounced "griyndah"

Cabinet = milk shake, pronounced "kahbnit"

We call the water fountains a bubbler as well :) haha but I haven't heard of the other 2

scottyb1988.jpg

Curtain Climbers = Kids

Rug Rats = Kids

• Like 1

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081: