What is the meaning of life?

ScottyB

What, to you, is the meaning of life?

I guess this age old question is impossible to answer, but I'm sure that in all your years spent on this planet that you have thought about it, and hopefully come up with some answers.

I am not religious, but I am open to the idea of a higher power. Until I actually experience something in front of me, or have hard evidence, I will find it hard to believe which means I am left all on my lonesome to discover what it's all about.

At the end of it all, it seems rather pointless if you just cease to exist.. It would make sense that something else happens but as I said, i can't just believe, unless I can experience it for myself.

That brings me to the conclusion that it is about the here and now and to experience as much of the world, and people as you can and to make sure that you are happy with your life. This actually sounds more like a goal then a meaning or purpose. Maybe there is no end goal?

I'm really interested to hear what you think is the purpose of life. Maybe we are all going for the same goal, or working towards different things entirely!

scottyb1988.jpg

In my view, the meaning of life is rather simple.  Just like every other animal on this planet, we get born, grow up, breed, live and eventually die. Full stop.

The only thing that makes us any different from the other animals is our self-consiousness and a well developed brain. Probably the reason why we make such a fuss about it ;)

I am not a religious person, though I was raised the roman-catholic way nor do I believe in any higher powers. Then again, I guess one could call science a religion as well. Every question has an answer, we just don't know them all and whenever we are able to answer one, it'll raise a few thousand more. Funny thing though is that everything we know is actually based on nothing but assumptions (e.g. mathematical axiomas like 1+1=2).

Might sound cold, but it's my belief our time is as limited as the length of our respective lifes, so better get the best out of it !

• Like 10

gallery_510_31_23135.jpg

1. Try and be nice to people.

2. Avoid eating fat.

3.Read a good book every now and then.

4. Get some walking in.

5.Try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations.

From Monty Python's-The Meaning of Life

• Like 3

You speak the truth ronin.

I don't believe in a higher power as well. I'm 100% atheist and to me most conflicts here on Earth originates because of religions.

As for the purpose of life, I guess it's up to each of us to figure it out. I think we all have our own answer.

I tend to think like ronin, that like every other specie, we live, we die, we evolve. I don't think there's a real meaning to it. It's more like a process IMO. It's evolution.

Every other concept has been created by humans because we are the superior species on this planet. It's all artificial since we created every existing concept.

On a more personal note, I think the meaning of our lives is ours to decide. If I exist, it's because my parents thought I was necessary. They needed me to be happy with their lives.

It's up to me now to figure out what makes me happy every day.

I realise that my time on this earth is incredibly small. It's up to me to get the best out of it. I guess the meaning of my life is to be as happy as possible and to try to make other people happy as well.

The world is so much better when people are happy. :)

• Like 8

1. Try and be nice to people.

2. Avoid eating fat.

3.Read a good book every now and then.

4. Get some walking in.

5.Try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations.

From Monty Python's-The Meaning of Life

I was going to post this :D 

Life is like gta. You do the stuff you like and that's about it.

Seriusly now, we are just a bunch of cells that created a community with organic relations to ensure survival. As long as you are alive, you are living right.

Follow the crew twitter

Ps.: I can't post thumbs UPS on my phone fml sorry

• Like 2

In my personal opinion the meaning of life is "to survive."

Whether you believe in evolution or not the idea is the same, we were put on this earth to thrive. All living things (animals, plants, humans) do necessary things on a daily basis to make sure we survive but if only for another day. If we die then thats it, the game of life is over. To survive and live means we are winning at the game of life. 

I come from a deeply religious roman catholic family, but my mother who was never that into going to church lol raised me to respect and learn of not just other cultures but of their religions. Ive taken from many religions such as  judaism, buddhism, catholicism, christianity, hinduism etc and applied bits and pieces of one of another to my daily life because they all got something right.

I believe we all need to believe in something. Not just in the ideals of a church but believe in that there is something bigger than us out there that put everything we know into motion. Not because of the after life or because "a book" says to do so but because when  one follows the guidelines put in place by religions (dont kill, the golden rule, dont steal etc...) we give ourself a better quality of life.  Not only that but when our lives are in the dumps and we have nothing else to turn to we have faith. 

The last two years have been the hardest of my life, i have depression and suffer from suicidal thoughts. I started to drink heavily and I totally hit rock bottom. It would of been easy to continued on that path but it was faith that things would get better and faith in myself  that kept me going. If i didnt have that faith, i cant honestly say id still be alive today. 

• Like 2

tumblr_m8l94nfFrG1r5jta4o6_500.gif

One day the sadness will end.

Getting deep in here.

A lot of people say the purpose of life is to create new life and keep the species alive. Personally I think the purpose of life is to live. I don't believe in any afterlife in any form so I think it's best to live life to the full now as it could be your only one!

• Like 2

To make the wife happy..

I do believe in an afterlife, but not in the traditional sense and to post it would either take 2 days to type or make me look like a complete whack job. IMO to live doesn't mean you have to do anything special to get where your going.

The meaning to life is to do what you need to do to ensure your happiness while you are here

Success is getting what you want, happiness is wanting what you get.

• Like 3

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

I'm personally more attracted to the middle ground (in most things I am). 

I'm not religious but I'm not exactly an Atheist either. I feel there is definitely something out there that is greater than us. Now whether you decide to call that Fate, or Destiny or Chance or whatever else is entirely up to you. We're insignificant in the grand scheme of things but here we are, doing the best we can in our limited time here to make things make sense. These are our lives and they're ending one minute at a time, to paraphrase from a well known movie, Fight Club.

What is the meaning of life? There isn't one. I fancy this maxim (is it ironic it's coming from a game?), "nothing is true, everything is permitted." The world around us is not an absolute reality. The human condition is full of flaws and missing links. What we experience is but a small part of the whole and we will never be able to fully perceive our environment. As a result we struggle to make sense of things that are beyond us. All I can truly say on the matter is to live and be comfortable with impermanence and be responsible for what you see, feel and experience.

• Like 2

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

I don't necessarily believe in a set meaning of life.  Obviously, we are animals and like most animals we fight to survive.  What you do with the time you're surviving, living, or whatever you want to call it is entirely up to you personally.

I'm not religious at all.  There's only so much our minds can comprehend and there are billions of unanswered questions that we cannot even begin to understand, but I certainly do not believe in a higher being in the religious sense.  I do not think we were created nor do I have reason to believe that anything conscious exists beyond death.  Energy can neither be created nor destroyed and we are certainly made up of energy, but I tend to favor a very naturalistic and humanistic standpoint.

Time, routines, social norms, etc. are all the invention of humans.  Granted, we all have different ideas of how we should live, treat others, and what matters most to us in this world, but I believe in doing right by the ones you love and treating others as you would want to be treated.  It's a big world out there, but from a universal standpoint, we are a no more than a speck in a vast universe filled with things we probably never be able to fully understand.  However, as long as we're here and breathing, I think it's important that we all try our best to at least be civil towards one another and work towards a world where harmony and peace can exist for our species.  While that may sound like a fantasy, I simply think the meaning of life is to perhaps find what makes you happy and ensure that others are able to find that as well.

Edited by LN-MLB
  • Like 1

1.a :  the quality that distinguishes a vital and functional being from a dead body

b :  a principle or force that is considered to underlie the distinctive quality of animate beings

c :  an organismic state characterized by capacity for metabolism, growth, reaction to stimuli, and reproduction
a :  the sequence of physical and mental experiences that make up the existence of an individual

b :  one or more aspects of the process of living <sex life of the frog>
:  biography 1
:  spiritual existence transcending physical death
a :  the period from birth to death

b :  a specific phase of earthly existence <adult life>

c :  the period from an event until death <a judge appointed for life>

d :  a sentence of imprisonment for the remainder of a convict's life
:  a way or manner of living
:  livelihood
:  a vital or living being; specifically :  person <many lives were lost in the disaster>
:  an animating and shaping force or principle
:  spiritanimation <saw no life in her dancing>
:  the form or pattern of something existing in reality <painted from life>
:  the period of duration, usefulness, or popularity of something <the expected life of the batteries>
:  the period of existence (as of a subatomic particle) — compare half-life
:  a property (as resilience or elasticity) of an inanimate substance or object resembling the animate quality of a living being
:  living beings (as of a particular kind or environment) <forest life>
a :  human activities

b :  animate activity and movement <stirrings of life>

c :  the activities of a given sphere, area, or time <the political life of the country>
:  one providing interest and vigor <life of the party>
:  an opportunity for continued viability <gave the patient a new life>
capitalized Christian Science :  god 1b
:  something resembling animate life <a grant saved the project's life>

Straight from Meriam Webster  :)

Edited by VikDarkbomb

I'm an atheist, sort of, little bit of an anarchist maybe (not as portrayed by the media, but peacefully, i recognise all humans should be totally free from government, law and authority, everyone as equals, which is what "anarchy" means, not the reputation it has)

I am very scientific oriented, but sometimes, people need more than facts, and just needs to feel they are more than what meets the eye, which i respect deeply.

With that said, viking blood runs through my veins, and i can't not be inspired and intrigued by "norse mythology" as we call it today.

I grew up with tales and stories, most of it, I can't see any logic to, but some I can use as morals in life.

Call me radical, or whatever you want, I don't care, It's what I believe.

I know this though, I love my family, my friends, and I think we can be so much better on this planet, we can all help eachother and be peaceful at the same time, but we need changes in this world!

I try to live my life as best as I can, I go after my goals no matter what anyone tells me, cause It's my life!

I think the purpose of life is being true to yourself, loving your close ones, helping eachother, and being the best you can be, no one can blame anyone for doing their best.

As of anything having a higher purpose/power/whatever, i believe there is something, not necessarily a "god-like-figure", but in nature itself, there is something to it, wether you see it or not, It's magical and strange, and why and how did it all happen? (Philosophy incoming :P)

That's my 2 cents on the subject, take it or leave it, feel free to say what you want, If you want to!

You are all friends.

Deep stuff huh?

Edited by Haste
  • Like 3

b2ExQd1.png

Lots of really interesting responses! And some movie quotes that I had to google to find out :P I haven't seen them so i might have to add them to the list.

Its very interesting to hear how other people view the world and to an extent it has help me clarify my thoughts. Its funny how we all have similar views and are all very tolerant of each other, and I guess that's why we all get along so well.

The last two years have been the hardest of my life, i have depression and suffer from suicidal thoughts. I started to drink heavily and I totally hit rock bottom. It would of been easy to continued on that path but it was faith that things would get better and faith in myself  that kept me going. If i didnt have that faith, i cant honestly say id still be alive today. 

I cant imagine what it would be like to have a strictly religious family and then to go against there beliefs. Even though I can only imagine how hard it would have been for you, at the end of the day you have done what you believe is right and its your own path to follow. Its hard to switch off the "social expectations" and be truly happy going against everything you have been told your whole life. It sounds like the hardest part has passed and you are coming out into a better place. It just takes time.

I am lucky that my parents aren't religious and are open minded. Its probably half the reason I believe what i do, but then again its not in my personality to blindly follow others so i would have eventually come to the same conclusion anyway.

I can see i am heading down a similar path and need to snap out of it before it gets worse. Its hard when you have nothing to believe in and think that life is pointless. When times get tough as they will for everyone, there is no light at the end of the tunnel and you question whats the point of life after all the hard work and struggle to end up as nothing but a memory.

What G said is spot on about only seeing an extremely small amount of our environment. We use our 5 senses to give meaning to our surroundings. We will all interpret the same thing very differently due to our previous experiences. There is a cool series that i have only watched a bit of on netflix called "Brain games". It is out to show you that what you see and think of reality is completely fabricated in your own mind. very interesting stuff and really opens your eyes!

I also very much related to what LN said about social norms. For a while now i have been almost obsessing over what i called social expectations. (google social norms to find out more). Its basically how society expects you to behave in certain situations. Because i have been getting into a bad habit of questioning everything lately, this topic was bound to show up.

I feel guilty and almost ashamed that i play so much playstation. Think about a typical gamer (most likely what society thinks a gamer is), some fat guy living in the basement of his parents apartment who doesnt work and doesnt have any friends or go out into the world etc.. Firstly, even if that is the case, so what!? There shouldnt be anything wrong with that if thats what your doing and it doesnt effect other people. But never the less you still feel shitty about it cause your not some supermodel suit wearing millionaire with the perfect family and perfect home..

Society sets a certain expectation on how you should live your life. Its extremely hard to break free and find your own path, or maybe thats just me and my personal struggle.

TL:DR (kind of)

I like the referencing to us being animals and one with nature. It has allowed me to view this topic in another light and i have so far come up with this;

Think about any kind of animal or plant or living creature as such. They all have a purpose. If we don't have plants, we have no air and we die. We live in a very fragile ecosystem in which everything is needed to ensure the planets survival. Our purpose is probably as simple as being the apex predator to keep other animals in line. 

Since we have evolved, we always need to have a reason for everything. Its built in to us to ask why (some more then others), which only seems to complicate things. It makes sense that we are needed here for one reason or the other, and if we cant come to a conclusion, it frightens us and makes us feel vulnerable.

I know this is kind of an instinctual thing, but think about being in the woods in the dark and you hear a noise in the bush. You cant just let it be a noise in the bush, you need to know what it is. 

We are also raised with the belief that there is an answer to everything which can be good and bad.

I think i have rambled enough so thanks for those who have bothered to read and thanks for all the input so far and im looking forward to other people contributing to it!

• Like 2

scottyb1988.jpg