Peace and Quiet?

DavidCore89

I guess most people have heard of the quietest place on earth: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/earths-quietest-place-will-drive-you-crazy-in-45-minutes-180948160/?no-ist

Apparently when the chamber is dark nobody has ever lasted more than 45 minutes, light enables the ears to adjust to the silence and pressure, thus enabling people to stay in the chamber for over an hour without becoming claustrophobic. 

It's 99.99% sound absorbent, holds the Guinness World Record as the quietest place on earth at a mind-numbing -9.4 dBA, the silence becomes unbearable and you can even hear your lungs filling with air.

It's also possible to start hallucinating if you stay in there for too long.

With it being in Minnesota, I was curious to know if any crew members have visited the chamber at Orfield Laboratories?

Edited by DavidCore89
  • Like 4

That would be weird

Hell yeah!

It's not even possible to stay stood up for 30 minutes and it can be impossible to walk from the first moment you enter as there's no sound.

I really want to try out an anechoic chamber now. I reckon I'd quite enjoy it, would make a change from my house. I might convert my garage.........or get the wife and kids anechoic hats.

• Like 3

I can't get my head around -dB. Normally for every 3dB the sound level doubles. Normal background levels are 65dB. That minus figure is really messing with my head.

• Like 1

As an introvert and extremely shy person (i dont talk on my mic when i play with you guys cuz im just that shy! lol) i love having peace and quiet. However there gets to a point where even i cant be left to my own thoughts for too long. 

I know for a fact id go insane in this environment haha. Then again I think it could be therapeutic. Before i moved out to the boonies i lived in an rather populated city where your neighbor was only a few feet away. The constant sound of music, people talking, cars... it can cause mental fatigue even if people dont realize it. 

Heres what the EPA has to say about noise pollution and its quite interesting. http://www.epa.gov/air/noise.html

• Like 3

tumblr_m8l94nfFrG1r5jta4o6_500.gif

One day the sadness will end.

I was born in Minnesota and lived there for 24 years and did not know that this place even existed. I wonder if they would let anyone in there to try it out? I could make a trip up there next time I'm visiting my parents.

• Like 1

kQ4fIRp.png

I wonder what the body is thinking/doing when it goes into complete silence and hallucinates. Would be a crazy experience!

I saw something similar a while ago on some YouTube channel and it's apparently a kind of therapeutic thing and you float in water and in the complete dark and after an hour in there you come out.. Different... I can't find the video of it but it was interesting and made me want to do it.

Same as Jalj, I'm introverted and prefer to think about things and live in my own mind as opposed to talking things out with other people so this would be quiet an experience.

We all are a little crazy though and if left to our own thoughts like this for too long will probably push us over the edge haha

• Like 1

scottyb1988.jpg

I wonder what the body is thinking/doing when it goes into complete silence and hallucinates. Would be a crazy experience!

I saw something similar a while ago on some YouTube channel and it's apparently a kind of therapeutic thing and you float in water and in the complete dark and after an hour in there you come out.. Different... I can't find the video of it but it was interesting and made me want to do it.

Same as Jalj, I'm introverted and prefer to think about things and live in my own mind as opposed to talking things out with other people so this would be quiet an experience.

We all are a little crazy though and if left to our own thoughts like this for too long will probably push us over the edge haha

Perhaps you are reffering to the sensory deprivation tanks? And its only a coincidence i happen to know of this lol...damn simpsons. 

Edited by JALJ
  • Like 1

tumblr_m8l94nfFrG1r5jta4o6_500.gif

One day the sadness will end.

Haha yes that's it! And I found the video, bit long but it's funny to see their reactions when they come out of the tank :)

• Like 1

scottyb1988.jpg

This is now on my list of places to visit.

• Like 2

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081: