Dodge

XDBX NASCAR Discussion Thread

How about a little discussion thread for NASCAR Fans.

There has been some big news in NASCAR so far this year. We've only seen 1 race so far, and the Newsstands are buzzing with NASCAR drama already.

We've seen some drivers move to new teams, new sponsors have come into the sport. Some sponsors have left.

NASCAR has changed the race package on the cars to make for "Better Entertainment"

How about:

Jeff Gordon is running his last full season in a Cup Car.

Kurt Busch has been suspended from NASCAR indefinitely.

Kyle Busch suffered a compound fracture in his leg from a crash during the Xfinity Series race the day before the Daytona 500.

Anyone car to discuss these issues, or express what on your mind?

• Like 1

Dodgeservice.png

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dodge

• Sinister

• Jaggy

• ronin

Top Posters In This Topic

My dad was a huge Nascar fan.  I'm driving around with a Matt Kenseth license plate frame on the Lincoln.  I don't have the heart to take it off... even if I buy the car from my mom.  

I don't follow the sport like a lot of other people, so have no idea of the "scandals" and big news coming out of the field.  I've been to a handful of races though and really enjoyed them.  They are much more fun to watch in person than on TV.  :lol:

Dodge, I'm going to ask you since you might know... aren't they going to add a second race in Las Vegas?  Phoenix gets two a year and I swear I heard a rumor about Nascar giving Las Vegas two a year as well.  I want to take Carleigh to one soon so she can see real life Lightning McQueen's driving around the track.

• Like 2

Well Marcos has come home, so I was left without someone to follow. As Penske came with him and I've been a life long Ford fan in Aussie V8's, I felt that I owed Penkse some loyalty. Not a huge Keselowski fan, although I don't dislike him at all. I much prefer Joey Logano. so I decided to back him this year. Low and behold he won the Daytona 500! Finally someone I support won a NASCAR oval race.... I've been waiting for that to happen with Ambrose for years, so I did feel good when Logano won it. Hopefully Team Penske can keep delivering :D

PS I have a BASCAR playlist, designed for Biftas, which includes a few oval tracks, a version of Pocono and some road courses.... much fun if you need a PL idea ;)

I was actually looking at your Bifta races yesterday Rev. They will make it into my playlist soon.

Jag, please make sure you and your kids have hearing protection if you go. I went to a race at California Speedway in Fontucky and it is ludicrously loud. Not good for little ears.

I was actually looking at your Bifta races yesterday Rev. They will make it into my playlist soon.

Jag, please make sure you and your kids have hearing protection if you go. I went to a race at California Speedway in Fontucky and it is ludicrously loud. Not good for little ears.

Oh for sure.  I've been to plenty of races to know better.  :)

This year there is still only 1 race at Vegas.

Coming up in 2 weeks I think.

Correct.

Every year, the car haulers parade down Las Vegas Blvd.  It's the coolest thing ever.  It's loud with the semi horns blaring, but it's probably the most fun anyone could ever have with semis driving through your city.  They shut down Las Vegas Blvd just for this event.  When we took Carleigh a few years ago, she cried because the semi horns were too loud.  We haven't gone back since to see it.  Next time I'll make sure both kid's have ear protection just for that.

I have not followed NASCAR faithfully since Dale died. Have not paid nearly any attention to it since Gibbs went with Toyota and B. Labonte and Stewart left Gibbs racing.

If it's on I might watch a few laps, but have really lost alot of interest in the sport. I do have shit loads of Bobby Labonte memorabilia from his year 2000 championship.

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

I was a Kurt Busch fan until this Domestic Violence ordeal came about. Now i just keep track of where some of my favorites are. Kyle Busch, Team Penske, and Justin Allgaier. Justin is from about 45 South of where I live. So he is the hometown favorite.

Dodgeservice.png

Can I ask a stupid question re. NASCAR?

I know what it looks and sounds like and some of the above names do sound vaguely familiar, but that is about it ...

Is this a spec series as in: one engine, one chassis for all teams with limited adjustments that can be made by those teams? Or is it more like GT or F1 where you get some limitations in terms of engine size, dimensions etc, but where the rules still leave plenty of room for own development and input?

Also what kind of budgets are we talking about? What's the budget of a top team to run one season?

gallery_510_31_23135.jpg

Travis Kvapil's (fun fact:  he's from my hometown) had his hauler, containt his race car, stolen in Atlanta

News Article

Haha, I was just asked here at work if I knew about it and instantly thought of this thread. Funny that you posted just as I clicked on it.

The Chassis is the same for all teams, the engine starts as a basic package from 3 different manufacturers. Chevy, Ford, and Toyota. Those engines are regulated on total displacement, but they do build power a little differently. The aero package is also regulated by NASCAR. There are adjustments available to teams in terms of all alignment specs, ride height, spring rate, front splitter, and rear spoiler. NASCAR has put limitations on how far the can be adjusted.

As for cost to run a car? The numbers are a bit staggering considering that this "Stock Car" racing. on average it costs teams about $400k per race, per car. They race for 36 weeks. So that's $14,400,000 for an entire year, for just 1 car. The actual number for what teams pay, obviously, will be lower due to sponsorship, and being able to reuse equipment.

CostOfaRace.jpg

Here is a pretty good article about it: http://jacksonville.com/sports/racing/2012-02-16/story/pit-road-money-pit-costs-field-nascar-team-are-staggering

So, long story short, NASCAR is BIG BUSINESS.

• Like 1

Dodgeservice.png

But small change compared to the 60 million needed by the smaller teams in F1 each year and nothing compared to the 300 million per year that the big teams pay.

NASCAR has got the better idea. Close racing without the stupid budgets. Now only if the cars could turn right.

My brother and I went to every Bristol and Talladega race from about 1993 to 2002. I've been an Earnhardt fan ever since I knew what a car was. When he died in 2001, I started to lose interest. I haven't followed it very closely for the past 10 or so years. But thinking about getting back into it. It's so much different now. No LaBonte's, No Jarrett, no Martin. Little E is ok. I guess I liked the old school days better. #3 Wrangler FTW!!!

Edited by GooN

Thanks for the clarification Dodge ! 

So it seems teams do have some freedom in terms of engine supply and setup etc. Good to see that engineering and strategy also come into play when setting up for a race.

It's indeed big money, but these budgets are nothing compared to F1 though. With that 14 mil you won't even be able to pay 1 driver like Hamilton or Alonso, let alone run a car for 20 races. Like Squirrel said, for that to happen, pretty much a tenfold is needed. The use of an engine for one race only, will cost a team easily 1 mil. Of course, it's a lot more technical, but still. In fact, I would not be surprised if the relative return on investment is bigger in NASCAR then in F1 given the standard car parts, sponsorship, advertisement, national broadcast, massive events and crowds. Whoever is in charge, must be sitting on a goldmine.

One thing I really envy you NASCAR fans for is how close you can get to the teams, racers and pits and how there is way more interaction going on compared to the cold and secretive world that is F1. Fans seem to be much more involved and get a lot more freedom of movement during events which is just awesome.

gallery_510_31_23135.jpg

That's very true. The money difference between the 2 Racing Series is vast. For starters, F1 uses the most technological approach between the 2. F1 is the living, breathing future of the automotive industry at work. Most of NASCAR's technology is 30+ years old. NASCAR just started using fuel injection 2 years ago. The tech is very primitive. The aero tech is up to date. Along with the safety measures. NASCAR does not use any driver aids. No enjine electronics. Other than EFI and an ECU to manage it.

Dodgeservice.png

Thanks for the clarification Dodge ! 

So it seems teams do have some freedom in terms of engine supply and setup etc. Good to see that engineering and strategy also come into play when setting up for a race.

It's indeed big money, but these budgets are nothing compared to F1 though. With that 14 mil you won't even be able to pay 1 driver like Hamilton or Alonso, let alone run a car for 20 races. Like Squirrel said, for that to happen, pretty much a tenfold is needed. The use of an engine for one race only, will cost a team easily 1 mil. Of course, it's a lot more technical, but still. In fact, I would not be surprised if the relative return on investment is bigger in NASCAR then in F1 given the standard car parts, sponsorship, advertisement, national broadcast, massive events and crowds. Whoever is in charge, must be sitting on a goldmine.

One thing I really envy you NASCAR fans for is how close you can get to the teams, racers and pits and how there is way more interaction going on compared to the cold and secretive world that is F1. Fans seem to be much more involved and get a lot more freedom of movement during events which is just awesome.

I've met many drivers back in the day when I went to races.  When we went to Richmond many years ago, my parent's bought this VIP package that included everything.  We got to walk on the track, meet drivers, teams, tour the pit stop area, go to media interviews, dinners, etc.  It was so cool.  Then we got to do an autograph tour/walk through of a building where a lot of drivers were doing meet and greet with fans.  Probably the coolest thing ever about Nascar.

• Like 1

LV, that is exactly what I mean. Over here, you can do that in local races like Touring Cars or GT races, but not F1. Might as well try and get into Fort Knox...

Dodge, the technological difference is indeed massive, actually unfair to compare, but methinks these cars still go bloody fast !

I'm surprised to see Toyota in that list tbh. Fair enough, they probably have a huge market share in NA, but I find it strange that they go all eco, yet take part in NASCAR. Would expect them to push it into that direction, like Honda did in F1. They only wanted to join if hybrids would be introduced.

gallery_510_31_23135.jpg

Toyota is 3rd in the automotive market share here. Its Chevy, Ford, Toyota, then Chrysler. Chrysler bailed out of NASCAR a few years ago.

Edited by Dodge

Dodgeservice.png

• 1 year later...

While I rarely watch a race these days, I enjoy it in small doses. It is much better in person than on TV.

With the shocking news of Stewart HASS switching to Found on the road dead, I will most likely never watch again.

Edited by SINISTER120

I've seen a few races over the last year or so (on TV of course).

Never really had much respect for the sport, but that's recently changed.

Yeah they go around in a circle 500 times, but the speed, lack of downforce, fairly old technology, zero electronic driver assists and the distance between each car is unbelievable.

Definitely not an easy car to push for 500 laps.

I also love how big NASCAR events are, kinda like a huge celebration of horsepower : SLOBBER :

Here's Peter Griffin at NASCAR: 

Edited by DavidCore89
  • Like 1