Joomla website help

ScottyB

Hey Guys,

I have a very basic website for my business and was wanting to know if anyone knows a good free plug in that i can use to display pictures.

I dont have any coding experience but would be able to slightly edit stuff if needed (through the help of google) but would rather not.

It will be a portfolio of current work and i would like a layout to have a main picture that you click on and then it will go into the other pictures for that job.

If any one can point me in the right direction i would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance! 

scottyb1988.jpg

I don't have much experience with any coding yet alone php but I've used wix.com to build sites in the past and they've gotten a lot better from a free standpoint. Might be worth checking out (assuming it works in Aus).

I'm sure others could give a more detailed response though.

Edited by G37

: FIRE :

"If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder." - The Place Between The Pines

I don't have much experience with any coding yet alone php but I've used wix.com to build sites in the past and they've gotten a lot better from a free standpoint. Might be worth checking out (assuming it works in Aus).

I'm sure others could give a more detailed response though.

I have already got the main site up. Joomla is meant more for people who know at least some coding so that you can custom make almost anything with a reasonably user friendly interface. 

Probably not the best choice since it was my first website. It is quite technical and took a lot of research and patience to get it up but im there now :)

Wix looks pretty cool, but im not sure if i can take what i want from it and use it on the joomla site. I know they have a heap of plug ins available, and i was hoping that someone may have used one and can recommend it.

I'll look into into wix a bit more and see if i can come up with anything that i can use. Thanks

scottyb1988.jpg

I've never used Joomla and have no idea what is available for it,

Can you create "blank" pages then write the html and css to display your pics if you wanted to?

How are you wanting to display them? Static, Fade a pic out, fade another in or clickable (click the pic to buy)?

If you can write your own I can probably help you work the coding up.

Url? If you don't to say that is cool, but I would suggest if you are willing to do it in a PM, having the search engines index your URL from a gaming site called Domestic Battery might not be a wise business move.

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

I've never used Joomla and have no idea what is available for it,

Can you create "blank" pages then write the html and css to display your pics if you wanted to?

How are you wanting to display them? Static, Fade a pic out, fade another in or clickable (click the pic to buy)?

If you can write your own I can probably help you work the coding up.

Url? If you don't to say that is cool, but I would suggest if you are willing to do it in a PM, having the search engines index your URL from a gaming site called Domestic Battery might not be a wise business move.

Haha still lots i dont know :P

I made it a while ago now and have left it. It still isnt SEO and there are a few things that need fixing.

Im pretty sure you can write straight code into it, but from my understanding joomla is inbetween fully building a website from scratch and having everything done automatically for you. Apparently a lot of website designers use it as it can be quite powerful and has a lot of features.

I am only after very basic stuff at the moment. If you imagine static page with a photo of each job i have done. You can then click on the photo which takes you to the job which will have more photos and a detailed description of it.

I would rather just get a plug in thats easy to use as i dont want to take up too much time of anyone else with it. I really appreciate the offer though :)

scottyb1988.jpg

Well, if you can not find what you are looking for hit me up, I can write the html on this site ad we can simply copy and paste onto your site. Any css would probably tweaking from one site to the other but the basic layout can be done on XDBX site without anyone seeing it are any issues here.

I'll look around and ask a few friends and see what I can come up with for ya.

Also, have you asked on Joomlas support forum, surely someone there would know if something is available http://forum.joomla.org/

• Like 1

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

I'm quite a technical guy and I think I'm pretty computer literate but right now you guys might as be talking in Greek. I really should learn how to code a website. If you need any engineering drawings or 3D CAD models then I might be able to help :D

• Like 1

I had used Joomla quite a bit, but not for nearly 3 years now, so I'm pretty out of the loop (there's been new versions too in this time). So I would need to look around and see if there's an extension for what you're trying to achieve. Otherwise I'm sure there's a comfortable enough "workaround" with existing options that doesn't require too much coding knowledge or workload when you want to add/update content.

Maybe just a customizable gallery plugin/extensions with a list of albums (projects) on your portfolio page and then all the project's photos in each album.

I say customizable, so you have options for different layouts, colour schemes, captions, etc, so it doesnt really look like a photo gallery, but more like a portfolio when you set it right.

I know I've used a pretty good gallery extension on one of the sites, it was free and very customizable too. Will have to dig up the info and see if it's available for the new version of Joomla too.

Btw, what version of Joomla are you using?

• Like 1

I had used Joomla quite a bit, but not for nearly 3 years now, so I'm pretty out of the loop (there's been new versions too in this time). So I would need to look around and see if there's an extension for what you're trying to achieve. Otherwise I'm sure there's a comfortable enough "workaround" with existing options that doesn't require too much coding knowledge or workload when you want to add/update content.

Maybe just a customizable gallery plugin/extensions with a list of albums (projects) on your portfolio page and then all the project's photos in each album.

I say customizable, so you have options for different layouts, colour schemes, captions, etc, so it doesnt really look like a photo gallery, but more like a portfolio when you set it right.

I know I've used a pretty good gallery extension on one of the sites, it was free and very customizable too. Will have to dig up the info and see if it's available for the new version of Joomla too.

Btw, what version of Joomla are you using?

I'm not sure what one it is, it was the latest at the time. (About 8months ago) so it's probably out of date. I know I should update it as it can spread viruses as its on a shared server but I have been lazy and really need to ge ton top of it :)

scottyb1988.jpg

Yeah, I've never liked that part. It was being updated quite regulary, mostly because it was vulnerable for exploits and since it's an open source thing (almost all extensions were 3rd party), not every extension would work with a newer version.

So in case you had a very customized site with few extension, upgrading it was a huge PITA.

I'll see what I can find for you over the weekend, hopefully I won't forget to.

• Like 1