Props in a race

Lann

What do you think about the use of props in a normal race. How do you place them and why?

The illustration is to show a turn where the yellow is the CP, the red circle is a tirestack and the black is a barrier.

O9AvDtM.png

The most basic as far as my thoughts.

In this case the red circle is to help the driver not to cut the corner to close, to prevent from hitting something or take a not intended shortcut.

The placement of the CP is to guide the driver on what to expect and where to aim. Also its nive to see the next CP once you passed one, and that it is placed so you have time to react and plan your course.

The barrier seems not needed, unless one wants to further show where (not) to go, or to prevent the driver from going somewhere that would take the driver completely out of the race course.

(Any serious offers of employment a a graphics engineer can be sent in a PM)

I use props as directional support, to block drivers from going the wrong way, and I don't want to just use CPs.

We're given 120 possible props to place, why not use them?

• Like 1

I always use a lot of props for the reasons mentioned above.

Some props will be used to help give direction, the others will be used to prevent people from hitting light poles or start pavement surfing. And on the odd occasion I might use a few to p*ss people off :ph34r:

As for the CP's, I tend to place them close to the apex and try to make sure the next CP is visible as soon as you cross the previous one, though that is not always possible or necessary (e.g. long straights)

• Like 1

gallery_510_31_23135.jpg

I'm generally the same, I use the tire walls to enclose the track to show the right way and then use tire stacks and lines to show the inside of the track. This makes the track look more professional and prevents racers from cutting corners :). I also use "concrete" to hide lamp posts as if/when these are knocked down it can spoil someones race, so to prevent this I use tire stacks or concrete depending on where the lamp post is. 

• Like 1

I usually make the route without any props, then I'll save that race and load it up solo. I'll then use a fully tuned vehicle in the class intended for that race and I'll probably run quite a few laps with maximum attack.

This helps to find any danger zones, poles that will/could be on any racing line and even other improvements with CP placement.

I do not place CP's too close to the apex, I don't want my corners being cut and I want the CP to be visible on the approach so the right line can be taken. I see some people placing CP's too close to the apex or even around the corner... Test it and place CP's at the very limit of where the corner can't be cut from and factor in where any props will be placed.

Take a mental note of that and head back to the creator to place props. After I'm happy with the props I run the track again with a fully tuned car and go as fast as possible while trying to cut corners (checking I've prevented it).

Tyre walls (arrows) around the outside of a corner can be useful if the corner is known for making players go too wide, but that's another thing that can only be found out by running a tuned car around the track.

I try not to use a tyre stack to prevent corner cutting, a good racer will get as close as possible to the stack and still cut the corner, single concrete barrier (small and only if that shit is level) or a small tyre wall (stripe or yellow) seems to work, despite tyre walls being naturally intended for the outside of a corner.

I really only use tyre stacks to place around the lamp posts with the trick to keep them from falling, mostly in areas that will be used when the track is being pushed to it's fullest.

There are many props that I dislike, untidy props drive me mad, I sometimes spend way too much time on a single section of props because I don't wanna publish a race with faulty props, then someone else makes a race with those awful blue construction barriers (not racey at all) or a shit load of uneven concrete barriers with jagged edges... Hate that stuff, more thought and effort could give a far better result IMO.

Granted, it doesn't help when the race creator doesn't have an option to place props side by side and that has a huge affect on what people can do with some of the props.

I've been using a lot of props lately, but I try to use them in an attempt to make my races safe and also challenging.

Edited by DavidCore89
  • Like 4

I try to minimize the use of props (as it slows down the poor old PS3 even more).

But I still use them for different reasons:

- blocking some lamp posts in city tracks

- sometimes shaping a specific turn (making it a proper turn and/or preventing cutting it over the sidewalk), and for chicanes and hairpins

- i'll use them to secure dangerous spots, where a less skilled driver might end up completely going off the track or even get stuck somewhere, usually just some high barriers to catch them and keep them on the road

- i'll also use tire stack to again, mark anything dangerous (and poorly visible) on the map, like a sign that doesnt move, or a low barrier/wall near the racing line

- in tight races, i'll also use them to make it easier to find the route and to guide you if needed, but I'd rather have a good CP that tells you exactly where to go

But less is more, let racers have the freedom to take any line they want, unless you're trying to make a specific turn an extra challenge. I much prefer wide open tracks for Sports/Supers than one where you constantly need to watch out for porps instead of focusing on your line/speed.

Also make sure any props are visible and not catching you off-guard when you come around a corner.

I think I only use these props in most of my tracks:

- tire stack

- stripped concrete barrier (short and long) <-- that's all we got on PS3

- high shuttering (med and long)

• Like 2

Off topic from props, but still a race creator thing - I see too many people publishing races set to sports or super, OK they are the fastest cars to drive in the creator, but the type of car will have an affect on what race you come up with.

If you publish the race with sports or super, there is probably a 99% chance anyone hosting it will run it with the default settings that were set by the creator.

I'd love to see more sports classics, compacts, sedans and SUV races.

Edited by DavidCore89
  • Like 5

For quite awhile I have been putting tirelines on the inside of my corners, it keeps corners from being cut. I've heard some bitch about them but they serve the purpose I intended. Other than that I try to use as little as needed to make sure people know where to go.

• Like 1

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

For quite awhile I have been putting tirelines on the inside of my corners, it keeps corners from being cut. I've heard some bitch about them but they serve the purpose I intended. Other than that I try to use as little as needed to make sure people know where to go.

If people are hitting them then that means they tried to cut the corner.... If the tyre line was a barrier, they'd still hit it... their fault for cutting the corner too much.

• Like 2

Maybe we could have a monthly pl with tracks that been created with the quality (imo) DC described. We select a area of the month and assign a class to each participant (creator).

Edited by Lann3
  • Like 1