PS4 Controller Stick Condoms

As you can see in the pic below, the left controller stick cap of my PS4 controller, the rubbery thing, is already worn out completely and it is getting worse by the day, though I only have it for not even 4 months and I don't bite it nor do I have a dog ...

tumblr_nj5qobAVDo1u4yirmo1_540.jpg

Was thinking about replacing it or put a little cover on top of it.  I heard it mention in one of the PL's so I was wondering if anyone had any advise on what was the best solution.  I did google a bit and noticed there are two methods: replace the cap or put a 'condom' on top of it.   Are these PS4 standard caps that you put on top of he existing ones any good or am I better off replacing the whole rubber?

gallery_510_31_23135.jpg

I'm in the same boat, not sure what kind of impression I'd give off if I invited a date over and she see's a condom on the pad, don't know about you but they would have to be pretty small to fit onto the thumb sticks as well.

If anyone (skip rat seems to be the expert) has any idea I'll be interested in knowing too.

I'm in the same boat, not sure what kind of impression I'd give off if I invited a date over and she see's a condom on the pad, don't know about you but they would have to be pretty small to fit onto the thumb sticks as well.

If anyone (skip rat seems to be the expert) has any idea I'll be interested in knowing too.

Maybe a fruity flavor works o0 ?

Was actually talking about this: http://www.amazon.com/Grip-iT-Analog-Stick-Covers-PlayStation-4/dp/B003NSLGW2

gallery_510_31_23135.jpg

My main controller is in great condition and is showing no signs of wear, that's a surprise as I play quite a lot, my other controller is like new.

I'm sure Sony are aware of the issue of the fast-fading rubber on the official Sony DualShock 4 controller, surely they wouldn't want another company to sell millions of aftermarket analogue stick caps, but that's exactly what is happening.

So I'm hopeful that Sony wake up and release a newer generation DualShock 4 with more durable analogue stick caps and a far better battery life.

• Like 3

My main controller is in great condition and is showing no signs of wear, that's a surprise as I play quite a lot, my other controller is like new.

I'm sure Sony are aware of the issue of the fast-fading rubber on the official Sony DualShock 4 controller, surely they wouldn't want another company to sell millions of aftermarket analogue stick caps, but that's exactly what is happening.

So I'm hopeful that Sony wake up and release a newer generation DualShock 4 with more durable analogue stick caps and a far better battery life.

Don't get me even started on the battery life ! A nympho pr0n star's toy lasts longer then that POS, seriously !

I did find some in the PS4 official accessoires section, but I'm not sure that they're any better then the aftermarket toys and they look kinda uncomfy ...

gallery_510_31_23135.jpg

My original pad which I got when the PS4 released is fine, well the thumb sticks are, theres another issue with the pad.

It's my newer pad that has the thumb stick wear problem, they must have changed the material since launch.

This is what Sony said in Jan 2014:

A very small number of users have reported to us that the rubber surface of their Wireless Controller DUALSHOCK®4’s analogue sticks have torn.

Although the rubber material of the analogue sticks fulfils our quality assurance standard, we will inspect individual DUALSHOCK®4 controllers experiencing this symptom, and will replace them with new ones for free as long as they are within the warranty.

• Like 3

Thanks for the tips, guys ! Will take it to my local gaming store to see if I can get a free replacement, but my gut feeling tells me I'll then be out of a controller for a while if Sony has it their way and agrees to replace it ...  eventually.

Probably will go for add-on controller tabs, similar to Drew's or Matty's and maybe buy an extra controller alltogether as a spare. Not too happy with the standard PS4 controller anyway and the tabs seem bring some ergonomical advantages.

Edited by ronin

gallery_510_31_23135.jpg

I've replaced my thumbsticks with those from a xbox one controller. There are videos online of how to do this.

I can confirm that it's not difficult to do and I find that they give much better control than the originals. The rubber is slightly harder and the textured edge finish and concave shape give me a much better grip on my thumb.

If you want to have a go I'm happy to help you through the process. I got my thumbsticks from Amazon.

Sony will replace your controller under warranty if they wear out within the first year if you don't fancy taking it apart.

The problem with the covers is that they can slip about if your original is already badly worn or damaged.

• Like 1

I think I posted a bit about it in the 'what did you do today' thread.

I have 2 controllers and much prefer the one I've modified with the xbox thumbsticks. They seemed a bit odd at first as they are slightly higher, but you soon get used to it.

EDIT:

Link to post: http://www.domesticbatterygta.com/topic/473-what-did-you-do-today/page-4#entry64908

Edited by skip_rat
  • Like 1

Actually, I wouldn't mind them being a bit higher and hopefully have more grip as I sometimes tend to slide off with my thumbs. I like the PS4 controller because it has more weight to it and because it's bigger, but never really liked the R3 and L3 sticks. This could very well sort out both issues !

gallery_510_31_23135.jpg

Send it in to sony, they will replace them with the new ones for free, this issue is on the first batches of consoles/controllers 

- although i use Kontrol Freeks, i never had issues with mine, but i did also get my PS4 not long ago!

b2ExQd1.png

The rubber wearing away like that is common on the release date controllers and those made during late 2013 - early 2014.

I picked up a new controller yesterday, it has a different model number FCC code to my previous 2 controllers despite being the same colour and also being a European item, after looking online I have found out that it is the revised controller with a different rubber compound used on the sticks.

It has considerably more grip than the previous model.

It's shame that Sony didn't address the battery and R2 issues at the same time.

I don't think I could use XB sticks, they're too big and clumsy.

Edited by DavidCore89

I might give the XB sticks a go then. Big and clumsy will suit my bear like hands. Shame theres not much option for customising the pad. I'd love to add more tension to the springs on the triggers to compensate for my lack of finesse. 

I might give the XB sticks a go then. Big and clumsy will suit my bear like hands. Shame theres not much option for customising the pad. I'd love to add more tension to the springs on the triggers to compensate for my lack of finesse. 

More tension on those springs in the triggers will cause the plastic pin that holds it together to become worn and fast, it's already an issue that needs to be fixed.

There are websites available to customize your controller, some cool designs can be achieved.

I might have a look at replacing the plastic pin. If my faulty pad is out of warranty then I'm going to use it for parts/experimenting. The websites I've seen are mainly for visual customisation. Camo effect would look cool but it's not going to improve my gameplay.

• Like 1

So, eventually I have settled for the XBox ORB grips. I just removed the faulty PS4 rubbers and pulled the XBOX ones over the sticks. They fit perfectly.

I have yet to test it properly, but it looks ok. They're a bit bigger then the PS4 version, but I don't mind that and they don't have this slimey feel.

gallery_510_31_23135.jpg